Waterproofing a wound?

mountainhouse

I have a small wound (0.25" diameter) on my leg from a medical procedure. It's not healing quickly. I'm leaving in 2 weeks for a cruise and I definitely want to snorkel. I've been Googling waterproof dressings. Any suggestions/experiences?

Certainly consult you physician, and get approval before using any wound dressing, but I can tell you what I have used in the past.

I had a small amount of post-operative non-infected wound drainage and used the product listed below when in the water.

It isn't very noticeable and offers the protection you need.:)

http://www.dressings.org/Dressings/tegaderm.html

My daughter was given product called DuoDerm after a small (pencil-eraser-sized) but deep biopsy on her elbow.

The dermatology charged $10 (I don't think it's prescription) and it looked like a very large nicotine patch:) or a flesh-colored sticker.

You just cut off small pieces for the size you need (it lasted us almost 3 weeks) and it has some sort of medicine that helps it heal and fill in. No topical antibiotic necessary. Also kept it from scabbing over. Was changed (after washing) twice daily.

It was fairly waterproof (it survived hotel pools, baths, waterpark) even on the elbow of an 8-year-old, so would probably work great for any adult. If you started soon, it might even be healed up pretty well before travel.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Ok, I have an excellent recommendation but YOU MUST check it out with your Dr. first. Some wounds are meant to be open for a reason. And some you don't want in the ocean/salt water. So just call and ask your physician if it's ok. But there are 2 products. One from a physician called Dermabond. It's a liquid bandage that is excellent. I've used it on wounds or cuts when diving. It's waterproof and last for a couple of days. I'm also a nurse and we use it on incisions for C-sections instead of staples. It's that good and that strong. It is not over the counter. But if your Dr. says it's ok and can't get you a Dermabond, you can use Liquid Bandage if ok with your M.D. Not skin shield(useless) but Liquid Bandage. It's just like Dermabond but over the counter. It also last a couple of days. But Dermabond is a little stronger. It works great..... good luck........

Thanks for all the information. Yes, am under doctor's care on this. Am using Tegaderm now, and didn't know it was so water resistant. Fortunately, things seem to be healing with the Tegaderm <fingers crossed>. Hopefully, this will be a non-issue in 2 weeks. Thanks again!

frankb,

Tegaderm is great until your in the water.... But like you said, hopefully it will heal and be a non issue. But if you need to waterproof it, consider the other 2 things I mentioned.... Tegaderm usually doesn't stay on in water, especially salt water.... Have fun.....

I have a small wound (0.25" diameter) on my leg from a medical procedure. It's not healing quickly. I'm leaving in 2 weeks for a cruise and I definitely want to snorkel. I've been Googling waterproof dressings. Any suggestions/experiences?

Ask your doc if you can use Second Skin. I haven't used it yet but am brining it if I get blisters on my feet or something and want to swim and not get infected. It is supposed to be waterproof. Check with the doc though in case your incision needs air.

Linda

Archived