Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYROADKING

Calica Mexico

We are going to Calica Mexico on the Fascination 7/2. Other than the excursion list, I find very little info about this port.

I have heard that it is a pier and gravel pit. I also have been to a port called Costa Maya which is near there or might even be the same, I don't know. Costa Maya had a shopping mall (great prices on natural skin boots) around a large pool with entertainment.

Does anyone have more info on Calica and what to expect. We are not big on booking excursions, but I can't find any info to make an informed decision. Help!

Thanks.

Calica and Costa Maya are not the same. Have been to Calica twice. It is a gravel pit and a place for the ship to dock. At least you do not have to tender. It is close to Playa Del Carmen. $10 Taxi ride. We took a tour to Tulum/Xel Ha Park on 1st visit and a shopping trip to Cancun the last time. Excursions are the way to go at this port. Nothing to do right off the ship; A few vendors in tents selling their wares. X-caret park is close, but again you need to get there. I am not sure, but they may have a shuttle?

Thanks for the reply. After my post I found a similar Calica thread that had been moved. How far is Costa Maya from Calica or playa del carmen?

Thanks for the reply. After my post I found a similar Calica thread that had been moved. How far is Costa Maya from Calica or playa del carmen?
Costa Maya is completely different from Calica and they are several miles apart. If you HAD to go to Costa Maya you would need to take the collectivo(spelling). This is a bus that you can catch about any place on the main highway.

Calica is mearly a rock quarry where the ship docks, but you can access alot of things from there. Grab a taxi at the ship to go to Playa del Carman, the Tulum Ruins, Xcaret Park, Xel Ha, or great snorkeling at Akumal. There is plenty to do here, you just have to take a taxi or collectivo to do it.

I've said it before:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=10477718&postcount=21

and I'll say it again -- Calica/Playa del Carmen is a favorite port of mine. You won't go many places where you have more good options. You just can't do them as you step off the ship.

Try this map:

http://www.cancunmap.com/riviera_maya.html

(Unfortunatley, they appear to be sold out for the map of PdC itself.)

I've said it before:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=10477718&postcount=21

and I'll say it again -- Calica/Playa del Carmen is a favorite port of mine. You won't go many places where you have more good options. You just can't do them as you step off the ship.

Try this map:

http://www.cancunmap.com/riviera_maya.html

(Unfortunatley, they appear to be sold out for the map of PdC itself.)

I'm with you TN.

I would not go to Costa Maya as it is far and takes long time. Anyway Playa Del Carmen much better, more to see and do, better food and nice beaches, and only $10 in a taxi each way.

Hey guys my family and I are going to Calica in Sept.on the fascination. We we're thinking of going to Playa Del Carman for the day. We just wanted to do some swimming, shopping and lunch. Where should we have the taxi drop us off?? Somewhere where there's beach chairs, umbrella and cheap lunch/drinks would be great. My other option was Omni Puterto Aventues hotel. They do a day pass with a food credit. I think it's like 12 miles from the cruise port.

Any thoughts on the best options for our family would be great.

Thanks,

shan9700:)

Have done both. Have enjoyed both. The PA Omni gives you the option of their wonderful pool and snack bar area. Also, the Cafe Ole in the little town there serves a wonderful lunch.

On the other hand, if shopping's your thing, Fifth Avenue in PdC is the other way.

TNtraveler,

Thanks for the response I know you have alot of experience with this area. The Omni is the front runner with my family right now. I saw a pitcture of Playa Del Carman with the bed swings or the beds on the beaches with canopies. Where would that be and would there be a place to get some good local food and drinks near by??

Last question...how easy is it to drive around down there?? Is there places to park near the beaches? We're going to be there on a Wednesday from 1:00 to 10:00 pm.

Thanks again for all your help.

shan9700:)

If you want a very active beach scene with plenty of hustling, bustling shopping, go to Playa Del Carmen by taxi. Should be about $10 per cab.

Nightlife on 5th avenue is entertaining. Pull up a bar chair and people watch.

If you want an amazing snorkling trip - $15 for guide, boat and equipment - at an amazing laid back fishing village and resort take a taxi to Akumel - about $16. Great food and drinks available/little shopping.

If you are considering Xel-Ha, there is a very similar snorkling park called Yal-Ku at Akumel and the admission is only $7. Lovely place, but only for snorkling. Off beach snorkling at Akumel Bay is better. Giant sea turtles are there. Also the largest schools of fish and barracuda I have ever seen.

Always agree on the price before getting into a cab. I wouldn't rent a car for the short time you are in port. With parking, gas scams and insurance, you can get more trouble than it's worth. We did rent a car for a week, but were constantly concerned with the Playa police pulling people over and asking for bribes. We had no problem but many have. We did run into a dishonest gas attendant.

Forget Costa Maya. Too far south by car.