Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Georgia Peach 4

Princess vs. other cruise lines

My family cruised last October on Carnival Liberty. We are looking at the Princess cruise line for this October. Does anyone have any pros/cons for this cruise line?:)

This will be our 2nd cruise...

While Celebrity is my favorite line - Princess runs a very close second.

We love many things about Princess - lots of activities, crew very friendly & helpful, personal choice dining is great, fresh water pools a huge plus! The food is good and we've always enjoyed the specialty restaurants.

Celebrity pulls out to #1 for the bit more upscale feel, the outstanding service and their incredible shows.

As for best beds at sea - HAL hands down.

We had only cruised once on Carnival and then we tried Princess. We enjoyed both cruises but felt things were just a bit more to our liking on Princess. We liked the food a bit better on Princess, liked the freshwater pools on Princess and liked the fact that you can buy the future cruise credits for future sailings. Their loyalty program was more in line with perks we would like so if we are going to start building up cruises we might as well go with a line that will give us rewards that are useful to us. We felt the service was about equal, we had very good service on both cruises. We did like our bed on Carnival better. I really like a good nights sleep.

I think that we would be happy though no matter what line we were on as it would be vacation! :D

We have sailed on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival and we feel Princess and Royal Caribbean are steps above Carnival in every way.

We are Carnival Junkies.. have taken 7 carnival 1 royal and last cruise wsa Caribbean Princess.

I was completly WOWed from the moment we walked on the pier. Not even on the ship yet. and Every step of the way -- all week long was sooo impressed.

We had dinner in the dining room one night only since the caribe cafe had food that was so great. I loved that I had 3 options available to me to what time do i want to see that show. If something conflicted i didnt have to not do it.. i jsut moved other stuff around.

We sailed CarnivAL Liberty last February- if my son wasnt getting married on the Liberty this August I would be taking another Princess cruise.

We are now looking at the Crown for February 2009.

Do it--you wont be sorry

We have been on Carnival, RCI and Princess. We love them all.

Princess the decor was a little more toned down, not as "Vegas" as the other 2. Their hot tubs stay open and the food was good. Verdi's Pizza (free) is amazingly good. Be sure to get lasagna and antipasto. The Steakhouse (cover charge but only $15 per person) was quite nice too and that cover charges includes as much as you want to eat. We also found the Princess staff the nicest we have ever dealt with.

My family cruised last October on Carnival Liberty. We are looking at the Princess cruise line for this October. Does anyone have any pros/cons for this cruise line?:)

This will be our 2nd cruise...

This is your 2nd cruise don't be afraid to make the jump. You will have a nice comparison.

We are definite Princess cheerleaders!! Having said that, I've never been on a cruise I didn't like. We've cruised HA, Carnival, NCL, RCI, and overall we prefer Princess.

I'm all for trying a variety. I'm not married to any one line. There is not that big of a difference between the lines to me. The exception being that on HAL, nightlife is an oxymoron.

We have done a total of 20 cruises in the last 10 years. Our last was in May, and it was our first on the Princess line (Sun Princess in Alaska.) Having done a of of cruises, it takes a lot to impress us and I can tell you we WERE impressed. The food and service was as good as any we have ever had. We have done one Carnival and it was not too bad but was nowhere near as good as Princess. Book a princess cruise. You will get your money's worth.

Have sailed once on Carnival to Mexico and went to Alaska this year on Corla Princess.. I think Princess' food is a little better. Carnival ship was probably a bit more "glitzy". When I cruise again I will look at ports and schedules and select. I would go Princess if all things equal. But a bad day on a cruise is still a great day.

I've cruised 1 Carnival, 5 RCCL, and 3 Princess, We were always RCCl cheerleaders, but just love Princess b'c of all the options. We love eating at different times, if we want to stay in port late or take a late nap, we don't miss dinner! The ship never feels full compared to the Voyager ships we've been on. We'll go back to Royal, not Carnival, but so far Princess is our Fav!:D

I agree with most of the above comments. We had sailed a number of other lines (Celebrity, HAL, Princess, etc) before trying Carnival with a group a couple of years ago. While the experience was not terrible, there are a lot of little things that clearly differentiated Carnival as a step below the other 'middle of the road' lines. I won't try to list them all here, but if really interested, just PM me and I'll answer when I have a few minutes. We might sail Carnival again with the grandkids, perhaps, but when it is just us, it is not likely.

I'm trying to think if there are any "cons" to Princess-- I know some people with Anytime Dining find it frustrating to walk up to the dining room and not be seated instantly, though we never waited more than 5 minutes as a family of 4 who went to dinner around 7 pm most nights (and were willing to share tables, which I think we did two or three times, meeting just lovely people each time). But, overall, I love Princess. In fact, when we were looking at booking our Alaska cruise, I started mentioning other lines to my father-- who's a fairly picky traveler and wasn't so sure he would like cruising, before our first cruise 2 years ago-- and he said, "Why on earth would we go with anyone but Princess?" :D

Guest scfjjb

We really like Princess. Have sailed Carnival and RCI as well. Princess is more low key but surprisingly we find there is a lot more activity and variety of things to do in the evenings. Also, we never felt like ship was crowded.

We are Princess cheerleaders, and find the line has everything we like about cruising. That being said, everyone has a favorite line for different reasons and looks for something different on their cruises. Both my DH and I respect that.

Princess's decor is relaxing and calm, the night time party is up in Skywalker's (yes, there is nightlife on a Princess ship), but if partying is the most important part of your cruise, you might like Carnival or RCCL better. The lounges are nice places to relax and unwind. We enjoy some of the activities the cruise staff conducts, like Trivia (we are geeks).

Princess has freshwater pools. This is very important to me - love it, and they tend to be open - at least one of them is open very late. The hot tubs are open very late too.

I love anytime dining. Princess does this quite well IMHO. I enjoy their afternoon tea as well. Most of the time, the meals are very nicely done and well presented. Sometimes they hit a home run, sometimes they foul out, but we are foodies so we are tough on judging the food, and that is a very personal thing. We tend to avoid the buffet in favor of the dining rooms, and I personally love their pizza. My DH hates any pizza.

We also greatly appreciate the loyalty program Princess has. The perqs they offer are just what we are looking for.

We are in our 50's and cruise to relax and visit interesting ports. We also love sea days. You don't mention your family composition - we have taken older teens along a number of times. Princess does have an organized program for kids and teens under 17(I think the limit is 17, check their website). The older the teens, the more likely they will find their own pack. Princess usually has a get together for the 18-22 year old singles either the evening of sailaway or the next day, so they can find others their age. However, we do best now when our 19 year old brings a friend along.

We have also cruised with my parents (married 52 years now) and they enjoy Princess very much. They are more into the nightlife than we are - they really need a chaperone! They cruise to party - they can rest when they are at home. So, it is a great line for them too.

I don't think you will disappointed if you choose to try Princess. Whether you will decide you prefer it over Carnival after giving it a try - all a matter of what your personal style is.

Enjoy whatever cruise you do take!

While the nightlife on HAL is nonexistant, :D it does remain my favorite line. The staterooms are larger, the ships are generally nicer, and the food is tremendous. Having said that, Princess does come in at a close 2nd. The activities are better on Princess. The past-passenger program is second to none. The ships are beautiful (albeit slightly larger than I prefer), and the staff is attentive, friendly and professional.

My in-laws flat out refuse to go on any other line than Princess. While I like to try other lines just to have a basis of comparison.

gg princess,

great reply and true-everyone looks for something differant in a cruise. And also glad to hear about Princess. We have our 1st Princess cruise coming up in November.

JoAnne

Princess is several steps above Carnival. If you liked Carnival, you'll love Princess.

Just got off of our first Princess Cruise and our 17th in total. We have to disagree with you. In fact I would rank them Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess then NCL. The service on the Crown Princess was not up to the standards of the other line and in fact several (in particular the Pursers) were rude.

We had a great time on Carnival with the kids, but on our own, we'll be happier elsewhere.

Things we liked about Princess - the decor, Princess Loveboat Dream, not so much selling, fresh water pools and hot tubs, hot tubs and pools open late, good variety on the menu (more variety than on HAL or RCCL, although HAL's food was just a little better prepared if that makes sense). I like to try new foods, and I could do that more on Princess than on RCCL or HAL. Even my meat and potatoes dh was getting a little tired of HAL's menu in the dining room.

We loved the Personal Choice dining on Princess and had no trouble as long as we arrived before 7:00 or after 8:00. We don't cruise to make friends with the waiters, and with Personal Choice we could eat alone or meet new people. We liked the alternative dining on the Grand, too. That ship felt elegant and relaxed, and it had a wonderful art collection.

Princess for affordable balconies, pools open late, Personal Choice dining and GREAT PERKS FOR LOYAL PASSENGERS. Holland-America because one of their ships sails out of Tampa and we live not far away and also their ships are great. However, the smaller, older ships do not have affordable balconies and the perks for past passengers are sort of non-existent.

You will not be dissapointed with Princess!! I never met a rude employe, however, I have met several rude passengers.

Ron

I still think Princess has some of the best itineraries around, particularly their Exotics, which used to rate a separate brochure.