Question for recent Zuiderdam travelers

twiceblessed

I would love to know from someone who recently cruised within the past few weeks what day the second formal night actually was on their trip. I have read that it was on the Ketchikan port night in May but have also read that it was on the last sea day sometime in June. I would love to know because I am trying to figure out if I need 2 formal outfits or one since I likely miss the formal night if it is Ketchkan due to a long excursion. I also want to know when NOT to book the Pinnicle (sp) Grill.

Thanks!

Just returned, the second formal night is on Wedneday, Glacier Bay. If you have a late excursion, as we did (until 7:30), in Ketchikan and have early dining you will miss any dining room food as the buffet closed at the same time of 7:30.

My review will be coming shortly when I have the time to put it all together:) Happy travels.

We are on the July 7th Zuiderdam cruise. I am confused from your post. Wednesday on my itinerary says Glacier Bay and Thursday says Ketchikan. Could you clarify which night is the second formal night? Thanks!!!!

I had the same question a few weeks ago and phoned HAL. The consultant I talked to said the second formal night was at the discretion of the captain. Which means it can change. I have never seen it change once it has been established but obviously it has done on this season as it started out on the Thursday and changed to the Wednesday after a few sailings. That last post was confusing.

We are on the July 7th Zuiderdam cruise. I am confused from your post. Wednesday on my itinerary says Glacier Bay and Thursday says Ketchikan. Could you clarify which night is the second formal night? Thanks!!!!

That's correct, Wednesday was Glacier Bay and the second formal night. Thursday is Ketchikan, smart casual dress. I really can't see Ketchikan in the future as being formal night because the ship arrives at 2pm and most are out doing shore excursions until departure.

Thanks for your replies. I did not know the buffet closed at 7:30pm. This proves a problem for Juneau also, as our excursion begins at 4:30 and is 3 hours. I am surprised it closes so early. I guess one of those nights will be room service.

Thank you!

We sailed on the Z on 6/17-23 and the 2nd formal night was also on Weds. (Glacier Bay Day). For the Ketchikan day, the Maitre'D staff told us that we could show up at the door for the late seatings and they would find us a seat at a table. We actually made it back before the Lido closed so ate there, but was glad to know this was an option.

All in all, we found the staff to be very accommodating and would doubt that they would turn down any reasonable request (my opinion!).

We had a great time on the Z and wish we were going back soon!!

Archived