Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi we are taking a cruise to Cozumel and Progresso Mexico with my daughter's service dog to Progresso and Cozumel Mexico . We were wondering if we can take her dog on any of the beaches there? Also can we take her into restaurants or taxis?

Juliette,

Welcome! The answer is YES! You may take your dog to the beach and into restaurants and into taxi's in Mexico. The caveat is: Remember, this is Mexico and NOT the USA, they don't have to abide by our ADA Laws. They can refuse you entrance into ALL of the above. Be prepared for it.

The beaches may have strays that probably won't harm your dog but they also may have mange/fleas/ticks. Some restaurants/shops don't want a dog in them or there's just not enough room for them. Some Taxi drivers don't want a dog in them. They don't realize that your dog is well kept/groomed with no critters on them. They don't realize that your dog is well trained and will not bit/scratch/ or dig at their seats. It's a chance that you take that you will be welcomed, so in that light be prepared to walk or leave at any given time.

If you find a Taxi driver at the dock and you make friends with him. Hopefully you can communicate well with each other. He'll stay with you as you venture out into the city and he may even give you a personal tour. They need money and will accommodate you if they can. We found a driver in St. Thomas who did just that. We became fast friends he stayed with us and we gave him a huge tip for the personal care and attention that he gave us!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hello all! I have not been on here all summer. We took a cruise to St. Maartin (and got our picture on Maho Beach with the plane over us), St Thomas and Disney's island. We had a really nice trip. We spent 3 additional days at Universal Studios and went to Kennedy Space Center before the cruise.

We also have sad news to share. Our sweet Ollie passed on July 31. He was diagnosed with liver failure in February. The vet told us 2-3 months. He survived nearly 6. As with Quam's house, it is quiet at ours. I am still expecting him to be at the door when I come in (he was my husband's Seeing Eye Dog). We are still locking the pantry door by habit. We have good days and bad days.

Like many of your dogs, he traveled internationally, 3 cruises, Disney World twice, Alaska twice, Mardi Gras several times. He saw many national landmarks including the Liberty Bell and Mt. Rushmore. He truly saw more in 8 years with us than most people see in a lifetime. He was a faithful companion to our entire family and we miss him terribly.

We have no immediate plans for a new dog. My husband works from home most of the time so there is not a need like there was when he had a 2.5 hour commute (each way!) We are on the go a lot since family is not close by and the kids keep us busy so a pet dog is not a great fit for us either. I'm working on him for cats. We will get two eventually. We are just not ready yet.

Hello all! I have not been on here all summer. We took a cruise to St. Maartin (and got our picture on Maho Beach with the plane over us), St Thomas and Disney's island. We had a really nice trip. We spent 3 additional days at Universal Studios and went to Kennedy Space Center before the cruise.

We also have sad news to share. Our sweet Ollie passed on July 31. He was diagnosed with liver failure in February. The vet told us 2-3 months. He survived nearly 6. As with Quam's house, it is quiet at ours. I am still expecting him to be at the door when I come in (he was my husband's Seeing Eye Dog). We are still locking the pantry door by habit. We have good days and bad days.

Like many of your dogs, he traveled internationally, 3 cruises, Disney World twice, Alaska twice, Mardi Gras several times. He saw many national landmarks including the Liberty Bell and Mt. Rushmore. He truly saw more in 8 years with us than most people see in a lifetime. He was a faithful companion to our entire family and we miss him terribly.

We have no immediate plans for a new dog. My husband works from home most of the time so there is not a need like there was when he had a 2.5 hour commute (each way!) We are on the go a lot since family is not close by and the kids keep us busy so a pet dog is not a great fit for us either. I'm working on him for cats. We will get two eventually. We are just not ready yet.

I am sitting here in tears for Ollie. I remember your great travels with him. This has been a very sad summer for some in our group and I'm so sorry that we lost Ollie. When folks aren't around I like to think that they're busy traveling but, sadly, that isn't always the case.

Ollie had a wonderful life with you, you certainly showed him great happiness and love. We will ALL miss your travel stories and we will miss Ollie.

I'm so sorry for our loss of a wonderful boy. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I am so sorry to hear about Ollie. It is so tough to lose these wonderful family members and service dogs.

Dianne

Oh dear, I am so sad to know that Ollie is gone. What a great life he led as you described - not only did he travel the world and bask in the constant love of a devoted family, but he also had pride of service, knowing he played an important role in your lives.

Not many dogs are so fortunate, and I know you will miss him.

Thanks Nancy - she is 63 lbs, I can't imagine 110!

Dianne

She seems so petite from the photos, but I think Raylene was about the same weight when she came to us. She's "blossomed" up to about 65 over the past 18 months... going to the new vet today, so we'll find out.

Our girl is getting her fence at the new house on Monday at long last (a requirement of Dogs for the Deaf), so she'll have a chance to run and chase a ball again off leash.

I'm so sorry to hear that Ollie is now flying with the Angels, he truly deserves to be flying with the best! What adventures you had with him though! I did have a tear or two when I read that you still lock the pantry door! I'm sure that's one that we can all relate to, with our sometimes called "walking dustbins" we have, particularly those labs! The loss of our much loved animal companions is heartbreaking.

When you are ready, get the cats - we have 3! And they all love the dogs!

I keep hoping every day I might have some news of how Madam Aruba is doing, but nothing yet! So I'm working on the basis that no news is good news and that's she's doing ok - so far!

Did I tell you that we've agreed to have a new Guide dog pup late September, early October? Well, we have, so watch out, there will be the patter of tiny paws coming along to worm their way into our hearts again!

Talking of tiny paws, DKD, how's Sutter doing? His paws won't be quite so teeny now! :eek:

Roz,

I just booked a cruise with Princess in November of '16. It'll be the Caribbean Princess. Disney finally out priced themselves and with the new liquor policy I'm out. I can get a veranda for less than an inside! Plus got the all inclusive beverage package as part of the deal. Not that I drink a lot, but I like wine on my veranda.

ETA: I'm still doing the booked Panama Canal cruise though.

Holly

Edited by thephantomsgirl

I keep hoping every day I might have some news of how Madam Aruba is doing, but nothing yet! So I'm working on the basis that no news is good news and that's she's doing ok - so far!

Did I tell you that we've agreed to have a new Guide dog pup late September, early October? Well, we have, so watch out, there will be the patter of tiny paws coming along to worm their way into our hearts again!

Talking of tiny paws, DKD, how's Sutter doing? His paws won't be quite so teeny now! :eek:

That's great news fairbourne!! I knew you would go on this great adventure again. Sutter is doing good. He is still having the accident or two in the house. :mad: It seems to happen when we are preoccupied with something else and he wakes up from a nap. Other than that he is doing good learning his commands. I just wish he would leave the poor Yorkie alone. :eek:

Oh boy! New puppy photos to look forward to in late September!

Roz,

I just booked a cruise with Princess in November of '16. It'll be the Caribbean Princess. Disney finally out priced themselves and with the new liquor policy I'm out. I can get a veranda for less than an inside! Plus got the all inclusive beverage package as part of the deal. Not that I drink a lot, but I like wine on my veranda.

Holly

Fun! Another cruise to anticipate. The more, the better is my motto! A couple of weeks ago, our old friends who live in the Caribbean suggested we join them in January 2017 on Azamara, so we booked it. Quite a few smaller ports none of us have visited, even though we lived in the Virgin Islands for years (and they have much longer.)

Today we met Raylene's new, charming, skilled and kind veterinarian, who is USDA-certified and can issue those APHIS forms for us. Very convenient and close to our house! We got all our booster shots up to date and are marveling at our good fortune to find her.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Tonight I learned that our friend's service dog has also passed. He was only 5 or 6. He apparently had a heart condition and took a fast decline this week. I'm not sure what is worse, our situation where we knew it was coming or having it come up so suddenly. This team came to my girl scout troop last fall to talk about what this amazing pup did. I am still amazed that the pup could help her with her socks and jacket.

It's been a sad summer for dogs. We have also had two friends lose their furbabies since early July.

That's exciting news about your new Guide do puppy - puppy raisers are truly special people! I met Henri's puppy raiser and his daughter at our graduation - they came all the way from Seattle Washington. His daughter said that she was half hoping that Henri would not graduate so that she could have her back. They have raised five dogs for CCI and are getting a sixth one soon!

Dianne

Roz,

Holly

Can't have to many cruises booked. We are looking to book Alaska for 2017 when the schedule comes out. I would love to go back to the Mediterranean for a cruise, but the flight is so long from the west coast. If we did go back, I would have to break up the flights.

Dianne

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Tonight I learned that our friend's service dog has also passed. He was only 5 or 6. He apparently had a heart condition and took a fast decline this week. I'm not sure what is worse, our situation where we knew it was coming or having it come up so suddenly. This team came to my girl scout troop last fall to talk about what this amazing pup did. I am still amazed that the pup could help her with her socks and jacket.

It's been a sad summer for dogs. We have also had two friends lose their furbabies since early July.

Hugs and pawrayers. :(