Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thank you all again for your help! 

I also wanted to introduce ourselves! I'm Melissa and my dog Bentley is a 2 year old yellow Lab who does many tasks to help with my invisible disabilities. I have trained him since I brought him home at 8 weeks and he has grown into such a great dog. I've been on 10 Disney Cruises and our upcoming cruises will be Bentley's first, though he has done quite a bit of other traveling with me. Here's a picture of him from our most recent trip to Disneyland!

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 5.36.10 PM.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mmarq1992 said:

I also wanted to introduce ourselves! I'm Melissa and my dog Bentley is a 2 year old yellow Lab who does many tasks to help with my invisible disabilities. I have trained him since I brought him home at 8 weeks and he has grown into such a great dog. I've been on 10 Disney Cruises and our upcoming cruises will be Bentley's first, though he has done quite a bit of other traveling with me. Here's a picture of him from our most recent trip to Disneyland!

Bentley is a cutie pie! 

Welcome! 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 12:06 PM, BoazTheMastiff said:

I’m so relieved to find this thread! We’re heading out on our first cruise with our service dog soon and everything I’m reading is so encouraging and helpful. He and I have driven across the USA but haven’t been on a cruise. We’ve been on several types of boats, big & small, including The Maid of the Mist at Niagra Falls with no issues. Just not a cruise.  Does anyone have any experience cruising with a Giant Service Dog? 

73BCAA9B-A3F4-4650-9CEE-7A49764BB0EA.jpeg

What a handsome boy!  Welcome!  Size DOES NOT MATTER!  You will just take up more room than usual and I'm quite sure you're used to that!

Elevators, small lounges, seating in the theatre, shopping in the stores and sitting in the dining rooms will present some thoughtfulness and pre-planning on your part.  But, if you use your good senses and ALWAYS think of Boaz first you will be fine.

You have to go to every venue remembering that you will be stopped several times to answer lots and lots of curious questions from your fellow passengers.  Remember, they had to leave their fur-babies at home and they're missing them terribly.  They will want to talk to, take pictures of and sit with your fur-baby!  If you can, allow for them to pat him.  It will satisfy their urge to try and sneak a touch behind your back!  Or, you will meet folks who absolutely hate your dog; they want nothing to do with him, they don't want to eat with him or be in an elevator with him.  They may complain very loudly or just give you and him dirty looks when they see either one of you.  It's a mixed bag of reactions.......like that box of chocolates;  you never know what you're going to get!

If Boaz likes to sleep in a bed, on a couch, etc....these are things you may want to think about to keep his comfort level good in the cabin.  Horton is a "huge" dog.  He weighs 90lbs, and has long, long legs.  He can be very scary looking to those who don't know him!  He likes to sleep in a bed.  I bring a bed for him, I roll it up and put big rubber bands around it to keep it as small as I can for easy travel.  He loves it!  

The floor space in a regular cabin is not the best [this depends on whether you separate or keep the beds together.]  I like the mini-suites on Princess ships; they have more floor space and even a nice couch in a separate sitting area of your cabin.  They are a bit pricier than a regular veranda cabin but not as expensive as a full suite.  I get the cabin on the end, which gives me a nice wrap-around balcony.  These cabins have to be reserved at least one year in advance.

If you like Traditional Dining you should go to the Matre d' before dinner time and check out where you're table is located.  You will want a table against a wall, a divider, or under a window where Boaz can lay down without anyone stepping over him.

Everything about cruising with your Service Dog can be managed and is doable.  You just need to pre-think - pre-plan and be mindful of those around you and your dog! 

Don't be deterred by any comments or supposed problems that you might hear or read.  Try it......You may love it as most of the folks on this thread do!!!!!!    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I have to tell you that in the Princess "pre-cruise" Service Dog paperwork, it specifically states that they don't allow the pads........my answer to them, too bad!  As long as we remain dutiful in removing these pads and disposing of them, we should be able to use them as we need to.  I understand that they don't want these pads being the responsibility of the cruise line to clean up after.

Please, anyone who does use them........Remove them, dispose of them and make sure that you're using enough to hold your dogs urine without it running over leaving any kind of residue where you lay it!

I use large, thick pads with strong tape on each corner.  I also do NOT depend on these pads unless it's an emergency situation, where we're stuck in a waiting area for a very long time.  I ALWAYS take Horton potty before we enter any airline, cruise ship or public waiting area situation!

I can't imagine that a true service dog handler wouldn't clean them up and dispose of them.  I have been told, by many people and different venues, that they wouldn't have noticed there was a dog there if we hadn't told them.  And Halo is a big shedder.

I also give Halo the opportunity to do his business before entering a public place.  

Linda and Halo

1 hour ago, mmarq1992 said:

Hello Bentley, you're a very handsome boy.  Welcome to the most wonderful group of dog lovers in the world......or, at least on these boards.  Traveling dogs and their people, what could be better than that!

Melissa, most of us have Service Dogs and cruise with them.  We've been a source of information and comfort to each other over many, many years.  Some folks who add to our thread don't have a Service Dog and just love traveling with us and hearing about our adventures.

My dogs have been trained by Canine Companions for Independence, better known as CCI.  CCI provides assistance dogs to the public, absolutely free.  When I first applied to them in 2000 they required $100.00 which would pay for the dogs vest, leash and collar.  They no longer ask for any fee.  They depend on private funding primarily.  They are now all over the U.S.  My first dog was "Brenda", we traveled with her and I needed help with taking her on a cruise and brought my questions to Cruise Critic.  That was in 2005.......I've been here ever since.  Brenda passed away in 2014 at the age of 14.  She had a great life and had completed her 15th cruise before she passed.  My husband and I adored her.  I now have "Horton".  He'll be 10 years old on April, 29th and just completed his 10th cruise.  I'm hoping he'll beat Brenda's cruise record but I'm not so sure he will.  His long legs are getting a bit more tired earlier than her shorter legs did.  We'll see.

I always tell everyone to have all their paperwork in order, and make at least 3 copies when you travel.  You can NEVER have too much information to give to an Immigration or Port Authority.

I hope that we can be a source of information and encouragement for you to cruise with Bentley and love every moment of it. 🚢

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I can't imagine that a true service dog handler wouldn't clean them up and dispose of them.  I have been told, by many people and different venues, that they wouldn't have noticed there was a dog there if we hadn't told them.  And Halo is a big shedder.

I also give Halo the opportunity to do his business before entering a public place.  

Linda and Halo

"True"  the magic word!

• Like 1

Do any of you sit in a lounge chair by the poolside with your service dog by your side?

I’m getting confused answers from carnival. One answer was service dogs are not allowed in or around the pool areas. Another answer was just not on the furniture or in the water. Another was each ship is a little different. We are only interested in sitting in the shade for short periods of time at the 21 & up pool area, not the main pools. 

Boaz is an English Mastiff who has traveled the United States, and he doesn’t get on furniture or in the water,  but is preparing for his first cruise. He weighs about 170lbs. I’m full of hesitations on taking him but have ten times more anxiety of going anywhere without him. He’s saved my life many times, I rely on him with each step   and have been for over three years. Here’s a photo on recent Disneyland visit. 

CABEBBD4-A9BA-4445-AA61-857EE70E89E5.jpeg

3 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

What a handsome boy!  Welcome!  Size DOES NOT MATTER!  You will just take up more room than usual and I'm quite sure you're used to that!

Elevators, small lounges, seating in the theatre, shopping in the stores and sitting in the dining rooms will present some thoughtfulness and pre-planning on your part.  But, if you use your good senses and ALWAYS think of Boaz first you will be fine.

You have to go to every venue remembering that you will be stopped several times to answer lots and lots of curious questions from your fellow passengers.  Remember, they had to leave their fur-babies at home and they're missing them terribly.  They will want to talk to, take pictures of and sit with your fur-baby!  If you can, allow for them to pat him.  It will satisfy their urge to try and sneak a touch behind your back!  Or, you will meet folks who absolutely hate your dog; they want nothing to do with him, they don't want to eat with him or be in an elevator with him.  They may complain very loudly or just give you and him dirty looks when they see either one of you.  It's a mixed bag of reactions.......like that box of chocolates;  you never know what you're going to get!

If Boaz likes to sleep in a bed, on a couch, etc....these are things you may want to think about to keep his comfort level good in the cabin.  Horton is a "huge" dog.  He weighs 90lbs, and has long, long legs.  He can be very scary looking to those who don't know him!  He likes to sleep in a bed.  I bring a bed for him, I roll it up and put big rubber bands around it to keep it as small as I can for easy travel.  He loves it!  

The floor space in a regular cabin is not the best [this depends on whether you separate or keep the beds together.]  I like the mini-suites on Princess ships; they have more floor space and even a nice couch in a separate sitting area of your cabin.  They are a bit pricier than a regular veranda cabin but not as expensive as a full suite.  I get the cabin on the end, which gives me a nice wrap-around balcony.  These cabins have to be reserved at least one year in advance.

If you like Traditional Dining you should go to the Matre d' before dinner time and check out where you're table is located.  You will want a table against a wall, a divider, or under a window where Boaz can lay down without anyone stepping over him.

Everything about cruising with your Service Dog can be managed and is doable.  You just need to pre-think - pre-plan and be mindful of those around you and your dog! 

Don't be deterred by any comments or supposed problems that you might hear or read.  Try it......You may love it as most of the folks on this thread do!!!!!!    

Thank you so much! This is so helpful! I honestly didn’t even think about all the folks who have to leave them behind. I really appreciate all the information. I’m so nervous yet getting a bit excited too. We currently have an ocean view booked but I’m watching for a last minute upgrade option. 

C6A4B329-3A9E-4765-A836-04BAF1EF73A5.jpeg

4 hours ago, mmarq1992 said:

Disney is WONDERFUL with service dogs.  I've been on 11 cruises, 3 of them with Jagger.  I LOVE how they do the relief box area.   Be sure to call or email Special Services.  I deal with Chris often and he's just the best.  

Jagger loves Disney cruises.   If you look him up on FB under:  Jagger the Service Dog  there are many photos of him on Disney Cruises.  We just did one in January.

specialservices@disneycruise.com

Holly

• Like 1

Hello again...

Regarding Carnival, if you call their Special Access Department they are very helpful.  I note that I like a dining area that is sort of out of the way (without being in a yucky spot)   They've always been helpful.  

I do bring a small piece of Astroturf as they use Purina Second Nature pellets.  Jagger hates those.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thephantomsgirl said:

Hello again...

Regarding Carnival, if you call their Special Access Department they are very helpful.  I note that I like a dining area that is sort of out of the way (without being in a yucky spot)   They've always been helpful.  

I do bring a small piece of Astroturf as they use Purina Second Nature pellets.  Jagger hates those.  

Thank you so much! I’ll reach out to them

tomorrow regarding dinner. I’m hoping to find some pellets and begin training asap. I was also thinking of bringing some grass clippings from home to add a scent of familiarity but I’m unsure if that’s permitted.  I’ll ask Special Access tomorrow also. I can’t thank you all enough! Oh boy I’m going to have to build a checklist of everything I need to do to ensure Boaz gets the best experience possible.  

49CE4E70-8C22-4B4C-AFE0-9F3D829E4A20.jpeg

3 hours ago, BoazTheMastiff said:

Do any of you sit in a lounge chair by the poolside with your service dog by your side?

I’m getting confused answers from carnival. One answer was service dogs are not allowed in or around the pool areas. Another answer was just not on the furniture or in the water. Another was each ship is a little different. We are only interested in sitting in the shade for short periods of time at the 21 & up pool area, not the main pools. 

Boaz is an English Mastiff who has traveled the United States, and he doesn’t get on furniture or in the water,  but is preparing for his first cruise. He weighs about 170lbs. I’m full of hesitations on taking him but have ten times more anxiety of going anywhere without him. He’s saved my life many times, I rely on him with each step   and have been for over three years. Here’s a photo on recent Disneyland visit. 

CABEBBD4-A9BA-4445-AA61-857EE70E89E5.jpeg

Boaz can go in every lounge, theatre, restaurant and pool area [outside and inside].  He is NOT allowed in the pools and should not sit on the furniture.  

Sometimes too much information is more confusing than no information.

2 hours ago, BoazTheMastiff said:

Thank you so much! I’ll reach out to them

tomorrow regarding dinner. I’m hoping to find some pellets and begin training asap. I was also thinking of bringing some grass clippings from home to add a scent of familiarity but I’m unsure if that’s permitted.  I’ll ask Special Access tomorrow also. I can’t thank you all enough! Oh boy I’m going to have to build a checklist of everything I need to do to ensure Boaz gets the best experience possible.  

49CE4E70-8C22-4B4C-AFE0-9F3D829E4A20.jpeg

Grass clippings from home will not be necessary and should not be allowed.  Can you imagine if everyone were allowed to bring a piece of their gardens on board a ship.  You won't need the clippings.  Once you've trained him to go potty in a box, he won't think twice about doing it no matter where the box is.  It took one hour to train both my dogs to go potty in a box.  

The pellets that Carnival uses are very painful to step on for Labs & Retrievers because they have webbed toes and the pellets dig into the skin and hurt if they're stepped on wrong. 

I bring a piece of astroturf from Lowe's and cover the darn things.......no problem.  The turf is light and folds up into a small piece that fits into a hanging bag or suitcase, [place it into a kitchen garbage bag first because it may shed.]  You'll need to cut some drainage holes in a few spots of the turf before laying it over the pellets.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Boaz can go in every lounge, theatre, restaurant and pool area [outside and inside].  He is NOT allowed in the pools and should not sit on the furniture.  

Sometimes too much information is more confusing than no information.

Oops!! 

IMG_20180509_112428.jpg

20160203_120348.jpg

Edited by rangeley
  • Like 1

Boaz and Bentley are adorable.  Your right Boaz is HUGE.  That shouldn't matter at all.

You can have Boaz next to you on any deck, by the pool, serenity, etc.  He is not allowed in the pools.

I was a bad girl on my Carnival cruise.  We let Halo sit on the loungers.  We had and umbrella for him and his own beach towel, not Carnivals.  Nothing was ever said by anyone, not even nasty looks.  I know I shouldn't have, was not being a good representative, but I did it anyways.  I am so sorry to everyone.

My experience with Carnivals special needs department was no personal help, just form letters and route responses.  Once I got on the ship, it became very personal and everyone was kind and helpful.  Just keep in mind special needs needs to know that you have a service dog and your needs, but if you don't get responses you need ask once on the ship.

Linda and Halo

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

OMG!  That's exactly what Horton would do.  I love how tenacious you are.  It's unfortunate that we have to fight this constant battle of where our dog's will go potty. 

I'm going to carry a few doggy "piddle" pads [the kind with the tape on the back of them] in my carry on's.  And, when Horty has to go potty I'll go into the restroom handicap stall, lay down the pad, and give him the command.  I will pick up the pad, drop it into the trash and off I'll go.

If there's no handicap stall I'll just lay it on the floor of the restroom.

As long as the pad doesn't move around under Horton's circles he'll be fine.

I tried the pads, but Henri seemed very confused by them. I wanted to be able to use them in the event of an emergency on our 10-hour flight. I didn't really push the issue; I think she would use them if she really had to go.

Dianne

14 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I tried the pads, but Henri seemed very confused by them. I wanted to be able to use them in the event of an emergency on our 10-hour flight. I didn't really push the issue; I think she would use them if she really had to go.

Dianne

I’ve thought about trying those pads for Raylene. Wished I had had them as an option to try on our long overnight ferry to Newfoundland when their relief station was very unsatisfactory.

Trooper NEVER EVER gets up on the furniture. Except when he does. That's why I carry a fleece baby blanket and hope nobody notices. Aboard Amtrak the rules are that SDs are not to get up on the furniture, but when a roomette bed is made up, there's no room for a dog on the floor. The conductors live in the real world and don't demur. 

• Like 1

I’m so thankful to you all! So much valuable information! 

I have a soft blanket we use at the movies and long days at the cafe. I’ll definitely keep that with us and his beach towel. 

I’m planning to use bungee cords to roll his bed up the rubberbands wont hold. 

I’ll definitely be using the ziplocks for his food instead of the plastic containers I usually bring with us places. 

Also hoping to make it to Lowe’s for AstroTurf tomorrow. 

A30CE9E1-3800-4DDA-A606-7C2FDB3E736D.jpeg

12 hours ago, BoazTheMastiff said:

I’m so thankful to you all! So much valuable information! 

I have a soft blanket we use at the movies and long days at the cafe. I’ll definitely keep that with us and his beach towel. 

I’m planning to use bungee cords to roll his bed up the rubberbands wont hold. 

I’ll definitely be using the ziplocks for his food instead of the plastic containers I usually bring with us places. 

Also hoping to make it to Lowe’s for AstroTurf tomorrow. 

A30CE9E1-3800-4DDA-A606-7C2FDB3E736D.jpeg

He is adorable!!