Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Celebrity announced last week that they were releasing the summer 2016 through winter 2017 schedule early - starting in November. If I book right away, I get the room I want, with early bird perks, and have longer to pay it off. Plus, I happen to have a boss who loves that I actually plan my time off way in advance. I have vacation approval through 2020 for one annual trip I take!

I actually don't understand b friends who DON'T plan way in advance, particularly when they complain they never go anywhere.

I like to plan in advance, but not so much in advance as all the way to 2017. ;) Ugh, I have a family member who is sooooo bad at planning in advance that there have been multiple occasions they don't have their flights booked even one week before the annual family trip or other trips they want to do! Drives me batty! And why would you want to pay for last-minute fares?! You get the best flight prices three months in advance, on Tuesdays at 3:00p.

The cruise we're looking at on Celebrity is a little over a year from now and that's a little too far in advance to book anything, but not too far to ponder it. I am pondering a trip to see my puppy in June, but won't book it until later on (do the flights three months in advance and hotels after those are booked). (I will be seeing her before then, don't worry, as I booked a multi-city flight trip so I can see her on my way home from the annual family trip, which is in January!)

With a service dog, one needs to plan certain cruises far in advance due to the import requirements of some countries, such as those who require a rabies titer with a six-month wait after it before the dog can enter the country. (And you can't draw the blood for the test until a month after the vaccination, then it takes about a month to get the results back if they are busy, and if your dog doesn't pass the test, you have to vaccinate again and wait another month before drawing blood for the test again, so to be safe, you need to start the process about ten months before the trip.)

Celebrity announced last week that they were releasing the summer 2016 through winter 2017 schedule early - starting in November. If I book right away, I get the room I want, with early bird perks, and have longer to pay it off. Plus, I happen to have a boss who loves that I actually plan my time off way in advance. I have vacation approval through 2020 for one annual trip I take!

I actually don't understand b friends who DON'T plan way in advance, particularly when they complain they never go anywhere.

I totally agree with you. I wish my employer did! When I let them know about the 50th anniversary cruise on December 3, 2015 they practically had a hernia! "You're letting us know way too far in advance, we don't have the capability of putting it into the computer so early!" My response, "it's a cruise, not a baby shower!" "It requires planning and reserving of cabins, etc., etc.!"

I, like you, want a certain cabin, in a certain area and the only way to guarantee that is to book early, and this particular cruise is now "sold-out!"!

I'm not quite ready to retire yet but when I do, look out world cruising!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I like to plan in advance, but not so much in advance as all the way to 2017. ;) Ugh, I have a family member who is sooooo bad at planning in advance that there have been multiple occasions they don't have their flights booked even one week before the annual family trip or other trips they want to do! Drives me batty! And why would you want to pay for last-minute fares?! You get the best flight prices three months in advance, on Tuesdays at 3:00p.

The cruise we're looking at on Celebrity is a little over a year from now and that's a little too far in advance to book anything, but not too far to ponder it. I am pondering a trip to see my puppy in June, but won't book it until later on (do the flights three months in advance and hotels after those are booked). (I will be seeing her before then, don't worry, as I booked a multi-city flight trip so I can see her on my way home from the annual family trip, which is in January!)

With a service dog, one needs to plan certain cruises far in advance due to the import requirements of some countries, such as those who require a rabies titer with a six-month wait after it before the dog can enter the country. (And you can't draw the blood for the test until a month after the vaccination, then it takes about a month to get the results back if they are busy, and if your dog doesn't pass the test, you have to vaccinate again and wait another month before drawing blood for the test again, so to be safe, you need to start the process about ten months before the trip.)

Yep! Travel with a Service Dog does require a whole new mind-set when it comes to the travel requirements and needs. Not to mention the packing essentials, etc., etc.

Civilians [that's what I call anyone who does not travel with a Service Dog] will NEVER understand all that it undertakes and demands that one do for the dogs safety and security.

Whether I'm traveling onboard a jet liner to Europe, a cruise ship to the Caribbean or to Aunt Debi's for a family reunion; my dog is well groomed, up-to-date on all immunizations and wearing his finest collar. I treat my dog as I treated my children; with respect and high expectations! And with a big exception; we're working together as a partnership to get through each day as easy and with as little difficulty as we possibly can.

We're a team, we work together, in unison as one. He makes each day less of a chore and I take care of his needs so that he can perform each task with grace and ease! ♥

I adore and honor this big boy; he is my partner, my companion, my friend and my buddy. He helps me do the things I think I can not do! He follows in the paw prints of Brenda, who opened my eyes to life. I love him! ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I'm another one who plans in advance. Mostly for my work (I have to be here at certain times), plus as stated before I like to get the cabin I want. (I booked 13 and 17 months in advance for my upcoming cruises. ;)) Now some family members want to go on a 2015 summer vacation (not a cruise) but they haven't chosen the dates yet. I told them I may or may not go because of my already planned vacations and work schedule. If you want me to come, tell me early! :eek::D

I'm starting to look at 2016 cruises. ;) 2017 is a bit early.

(See you tomorrow, Roz! :))

I'm another one who plans in advance. Mostly for my work (I have to be here at certain times), plus as stated before I like to get the cabin I want. (I booked 13 and 17 months in advance for my upcoming cruises. ;)) Now some family members want to go on a 2015 summer vacation (not a cruise) but they haven't chosen the dates yet. I told them I may or may not go because of my already planned vacations and work schedule. If you want me to come, tell me early! :eek::D

I'm starting to look at 2016 cruises. ;) 2017 is a bit early.

(See you tomorrow, Roz! :))

Horton will be at the Peninsula, Beverly Hills Hotel at Canine Companions Haute Dog Fashion Show, walking the run-way [is it called a cat walk] tomorrow and dobiemom, along with others will be there to watch him strut his stuff!

Horton will be at the Peninsula, Beverly Hills Hotel at Canine Companions Haute Dog Fashion Show, walking the run-way [is it called a cat walk] tomorrow and dobiemom, along with others will be there to watch him strut his stuff!

I hope that you will post pictures. I am sure that Horton will look very handsome.

Only nine days until we leave for our transatlantic cruise. We are flying on Lufthansa and the pilots have been striking intermittently; the flight out of San Francisco that we will be taking was canceled today! Please keep your fingers crossed for us that we don't have any flight problems.

We also book cruises very early to get the accessible cabin that we need.

Dianne

I hope that you will post pictures. I am sure that Horton will look very handsome.

Only nine days until we leave for our transatlantic cruise. We are flying on Lufthansa and the pilots have been striking intermittently; the flight out of San Francisco that we will be taking was canceled today! Please keep your fingers crossed for us that we don't have any flight problems.

We also book cruises very early to get the accessible cabin that we need.

Dianne

Dianne, thank you. Horton is such a handsome dog. I'm always so proud to walk with him. There will be lots of pictures taken by CCI. As soon as I see them, I'll post them.

I'll say a prayer for your cruise. I hope that your flights and cruise go smoothly and effortlessly for you. You must be so excited. Have a wonderful time. How long will your cruise be?

I can't wait until next year when all my cruising will be no less than 10 days. No more one week cruising for me. I may do some b2b's to keep it to at least 2 weeks. I would prefer not to have too many sea days either. I love it when everyone gets off the ship and it's all Horton's and mine!

:-(, wish I could be there! Working isn't all it is cracked up to be!

Hi All! Hope everyone is well and I am so looking forward to hearing all about your fabulous Doggy Fashion Show and to seeing the photos!

The latest on Miss Aruba is that we did a very successful first trip on a train with two other guide dog pups including Archie, Aruba's brother. Talk about two peas in a pod, but Aruba is slightly leggier than Archie. We met at the local train station and boarded the train for a short 20 minute journey, with one stop. The stop is the one for Aberdeen airport and we were joined by some men who had just come onshore from the North Sea rigs. They were all very interested in our work and of course, the pups! The pups behaved impeccably and accepted all praise gracefully!:rolleyes:

When we arrived at Aberdeen railway station, we walked through to the shopping mall which is sandwiched between the railway station and the bus station. Our puppy walking trainer gave us an interesting exercise on walking the pups as if we were a Guide Dog Owner entering the shopping mall for the first time. A fully sighted person would literally have just made a beeline across the mall if they were walking from the railway station to the bus station, without much thought - a big open square with walkways with more shops going off at angles - A blind or partially sighted person with a guide dog would follow the line of the building i.e. the shop fronts really and when they reached an "intersection" would treat that as they would crossing a road. They would also use sounds and smells, that sighted people would take for granted in navigating the mall. To hug the building is something that we usually avoid when out walking as we get the pups to walk in the middle of the pavement (sidewalk), this helps stop them sniffing at all the interesting smells dogs love to sniff! So we learnt something new and that will help when we take our pups out on our own into new buildings like the mall. (The Guide Dogs for the Blind also run courses where you can learn the correct way to guide a blind or partially sighted person around, with or without their dog.)

Coming back the train was a lot busier, so Aruba and I sat at a 4 seat with a table - Aruba got under the table at my feet and she was quite happy there until it got much busier and it was very hot. We had a young lady sit next to us and that was fine, Aruba still stayed lying down under the table. But more people got on at the airport stop and she decided she would get out! Try as I could, including bribery and corruption in the form of treats, she would not get back in - can you imagine me trying to shove, quite literally this very stubborn 28 kgs "pup" back in under the table, - no chance, she was staying out in the aisle which I knew she really couldn't do! The other pup Lauren was still lying under her table and all I could do was go and sit with them and drag Aruba with me to get under the table with Lauren - which thankfully she did but the pair of them were playing squirming snakes out into the aisle - all not helped by the fact this rather large Dutch woman was trying to bustle past with her huge suitcase! (It reminded me of the outrageous huge carryon bags some folk take on aircraft!) Anyway, we were off at the next stop which I explained to this woman if she could just wait 5 minutes she would get the choice of 4 seats and the table all to herself! She laughed and shouted "I did not reeealize ze dawgs ver zere - ah zeee puppees, I love zem all!" Ah OK! LOL! Actually she was really nice.

Our saviour came in the form of the train guard who quickly sorted her and her luggage out - he was the same friendly chap on our first journey and the train company helps by giving us free travel for our training purposes. :)

So this weekend we are going to the airport for a training exercise which will involve going through security, boarding the aircraft etc. I am excited to be doing this with Aruba.

We have met so many lovely people and just about everyone talks to us - we were visiting a hospital the other day and she did me proud by sitting bonny and allowing people to give her a pat - and taking it all in her stride. Archie's puppy walker tells me that Archie is very much like Aruba and takes it all in his stride too.

Here's a couple of photos from the train - now who is using who as a pillow?

imagejpg2_zps36246e14.jpg

Can you tell? Aruba was the pillow for her bro!

imagejpg1_zps410e24ca.jpg

My books came in the mail today. :)

Mine too! Dean Koontz writes the most bizarre stuff and then there's the books about his CCI dogs [Trixie & Anna] just so cute. And, the best part is he donates the proceeds back to CCI.

Trixie & Anna, for those who don't know, were both "released" dogs who just didn't make it through the training program. Trixie with a bad hip and Anna, well let's just say, she prefers birds to training! :rolleyes: :eek:

Dear Horton

Strutt your stuff tonight my doggy pal ..... have fun with your Mom and Dobiemom .... wish I could be there.

Love and puppy kisses

Aruba xxx

We wish you could too.......Horton has a costume that he has to wear and it has a wig with it. I was laying everything out on the couch last night to check it and he grabbed the wig and started into tearing it apart......OMG!!!!! It really had me laughing! :p He's such a diva!!! :p

I love the pictures of Aruba and Archie. People think that all Black Labs look alike......they sure don't! Those eyes, they can just draw you right into them! She's doing so well. You must be so proud of her. I know I am!

She's going to make someone so happy!!!!! Right now she's making us all so happy and proud! It also sounds like you're having some fun along with all the work that you're doing!

You're really good at doing that accent thing!!!!

Dianne, thank you. Horton is such a handsome dog. I'm always so proud to walk with him. There will be lots of pictures taken by CCI. As soon as I see them, I'll post them.

I'll say a prayer for your cruise. I hope that your flights and cruise go smoothly and effortlessly for you. You must be so excited. Have a wonderful time. How long will your cruise be?

I can't wait until next year when all my cruising will be no less than 10 days. No more one week cruising for me. I may do some b2b's to keep it to at least 2 weeks. I would prefer not to have too many sea days either. I love it when everyone gets off the ship and it's all Horton's and mine!

Our cruise is 15 nights - port intensive in the Mediterranean for the first eight days and then seven days across the Atlantic. I hope we make it to Rome to get on the ship!

Dianne

Hi All! Hope everyone is well and I am so looking forward to hearing all about your fabulous Doggy Fashion Show and to seeing the photos!

The latest on Miss Aruba is that we did a very successful first trip on a train with two other guide dog pups including Archie, Aruba's brother. Talk about two peas in a pod, but Aruba is slightly leggier than Archie. We met at the local train station and boarded the train for a short 20 minute journey, with one stop. The stop is the one for Aberdeen airport and we were joined by some men who had just come onshore from the North Sea rigs. They were all very interested in our work and of course, the pups! The pups behaved impeccably and accepted all praise gracefully!:rolleyes:

When we arrived at Aberdeen railway station, we walked through to the shopping mall which is sandwiched between the railway station and the bus station. Our puppy walking trainer gave us an interesting exercise on walking the pups as if we were a Guide Dog Owner entering the shopping mall for the first time. A fully sighted person would literally have just made a beeline across the mall if they were walking from the railway station to the bus station, without much thought - a big open square with walkways with more shops going off at angles - A blind or partially sighted person with a guide dog would follow the line of the building i.e. the shop fronts really and when they reached an "intersection" would treat that as they would crossing a road. They would also use sounds and smells, that sighted people would take for granted in navigating the mall. To hug the building is something that we usually avoid when out walking as we get the pups to walk in the middle of the pavement (sidewalk), this helps stop them sniffing at all the interesting smells dogs love to sniff! So we learnt something new and that will help when we take our pups out on our own into new buildings like the mall. (The Guide Dogs for the Blind also run courses where you can learn the correct way to guide a blind or partially sighted person around, with or without their dog.)

Coming back the train was a lot busier, so Aruba and I sat at a 4 seat with a table - Aruba got under the table at my feet and she was quite happy there until it got much busier and it was very hot. We had a young lady sit next to us and that was fine, Aruba still stayed lying down under the table. But more people got on at the airport stop and she decided she would get out! Try as I could, including bribery and corruption in the form of treats, she would not get back in - can you imagine me trying to shove, quite literally this very stubborn 28 kgs "pup" back in under the table, - no chance, she was staying out in the aisle which I knew she really couldn't do! The other pup Lauren was still lying under her table and all I could do was go and sit with them and drag Aruba with me to get under the table with Lauren - which thankfully she did but the pair of them were playing squirming snakes out into the aisle - all not helped by the fact this rather large Dutch woman was trying to bustle past with her huge suitcase! (It reminded me of the outrageous huge carryon bags some folk take on aircraft!) Anyway, we were off at the next stop which I explained to this woman if she could just wait 5 minutes she would get the choice of 4 seats and the table all to herself! She laughed and shouted "I did not reeealize ze dawgs ver zere - ah zeee puppees, I love zem all!" Ah OK! LOL! Actually she was really nice.

Our saviour came in the form of the train guard who quickly sorted her and her luggage out - he was the same friendly chap on our first journey and the train company helps by giving us free travel for our training purposes. :)

So this weekend we are going to the airport for a training exercise which will involve going through security, boarding the aircraft etc. I am excited to be doing this with Aruba.

We have met so many lovely people and just about everyone talks to us - we were visiting a hospital the other day and she did me proud by sitting bonny and allowing people to give her a pat - and taking it all in her stride. Archie's puppy walker tells me that Archie is very much like Aruba and takes it all in his stride too.

Here's a couple of photos from the train - now who is using who as a pillow?

imagejpg2_zps36246e14.jpg

Can you tell? Aruba was the pillow for her bro!

imagejpg1_zps410e24ca.jpg

They are so darn cute! Sounds like quite an adventure.

Dianne

Our cruise is 15 nights - port intensive in the Mediterranean for the first eight days and then seven days across the Atlantic. I hope we make it to Rome to get on the ship!

Dianne

Dianne

Have a wonderful cruise - have you been to Rome and the Med before? We've been to Rome only once, but they do say if you throw some coins in the Trevi Fountain you are bound to return! So we did! But we haven't been back - yet! :D

Enjoy your travels.

Dianne

Have a wonderful cruise - have you been to Rome and the Med before? We've been to Rome only once, but they do say if you throw some coins in the Trevi Fountain you are bound to return! So we did! But we haven't been back - yet! :D

Enjoy your travels.

I think the Trevi Fountain is closing for repair. Maybe by the time of the cruise it will be reopen.

Yes Roz, you are right, the Trevi is having a facelift. I had quite forgotten and I should have remembered as our good friends were there last month and told me! But I'm sure Diane can still make a wish! :D

One of my most fondest memories of Morey and me and our travels was when we were in Europe.....I made him nuts with throwing money into every fountain that we saw and there are many! A woman in a bakery got so annoyed with me asking for coins that she threw them on the floor, in between these wooden grates.......there was no way that I was going to be able to retrieve them. Morey told me to leave before she threw me on the floor!!!!

He and I had some wonderful times traveling, memories that I shall forever cherish........he was a great travel buddy!!!! Now, I've got Horton......he's growing and maturing so well.........Well, that is except for his occasional "crazy moments!" And, who doesn't have those? :D :eek: