Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I agree......However, if a dog is acting in a bad way....take your concerns to the person(s) in charge. I guarantee that it will be taken care of!

No public carrier, especially in todays economy, wants to lose business because of one person(s) actions! To lose the business of a person with their dog, who has lied their way onboard and is acting inappropriately is not a big deal to them!!!!!

I am in contact with many executives from airlines to cruiselines to traines. They have told me that they have no compunction about asking a person who has broken the rules to leave!!! And, they have NEVER been taken to court by any of these folks! That speaks volumns!!!!!!

I ALWAYS make sure that Brenda and I are cleared, through my documentation/insructions and that the carrier is aware of EXACTLY how she performs her duties.

Should and does the general public need to know all of this information as to exactly how and why the dog performs? NO!!!!

The sad thing is, it is a fact that many ppl break the law by passing off their show dogs or regular pets as service dogs to fly them in the cabin for free. The show dog folks brag about it in their Internet forums, even! And I have heard of service dog trainers or owners who have been asked by pet owners if the pet owner could borrow a vest or where they got it from. Some folks have even be told by ppl with their pets AT the airport that, hey, you, too, can fake your pet as an SD to get it in the plane. The airlines do, indeed, turn their heads away and let these pets onboard.

And not all employees know that they can turn away a misbehaving dog - a friend of mine told me about a dog that was marking (peeing) everywhere and the airline employee said there was nothing she could do about it. Of course an exec won't have a problem with getting rid of these liars, but the lower employees will often let a liar through.

The liars make it harder for those of us with real service dogs. One time I had an airline employee who was really not the brightest bulb in the box, as he didn't think my dog was a real SD because she wears a mobility harness and small pack while all the "SD"s he's ever seen have the flat SitStay-type vest (those dogs are more likely to be fake SDs! Not all are, but many are). Sooo ridiculous.

Of course the liars don't make formal complaints or take them to court - they know they are lying to bring their pet on so have no leg to stand on.

Brenda and I have just returned from a Delta flight. Not only did a supervisor ask to see ALL of her paperwork but she also asked to see a task that she performs. I was so impressed.

When I aked the employee when they initiated this....she said it will become regulation for all service dogs who fly! Asking to see a task may not be asked for but paperwork will need to be provided and the dog and owner will be observed (as to their behavior) very closely!!!!

I shared some horror stories with her (with all the people who try to fly their show dogs and pets inside a plane) and she told me that if an employee is caught being lax with the regulations they will be subject to dismissal......

I hope so!!!!!

Brenda and I have just returned from a Delta flight. Not only did a supervisor ask to see ALL of her paperwork but she also asked to see a task that she performs. I was so impressed.

When I aked the employee when they initiated this....she said it will become regulation for all service dogs who fly! Asking to see a task may not be asked for but paperwork will need to be provided and the dog and owner will be observed (as to their behavior) very closely!!!!

That is illegal. Nobody can ask you to demonstrate your SD's tasks. They can ask you what they are (but not what you need them for), but they cannot make you give a demonstration. It is also illegal for them to ask for paperwork if there is other proof (presence of harness/vest, verbal assurance, etc.) - and Delta knows this (though individual employees may not or may try taking things into their own hands). (They do also look at the dog's behaviour, as that is usually a good indicator of training.) No airline can carry out a policy that goes against the law and the law is not currently being changed - this lady does not know what she is talking about.

I'm not sure what you mean by "all" paperwork, but they also cannot require veterinary paperwork. Veterinary paperwork is not required for an SD to travel within the US.

Paperwork (a doc's letter with specific things) is required for emotional support animals (which aren't service dogs).

You need to write or call Delta (not the reservations number - a corporate number) and tell them of this problem. If this lady tries this stunt again, the airline can get in mega trouble with the DOT and/or they could be sued. Not to mention that a disabled person may miss their flight or have their vacation ruined because some employee was making up laws. (Hopefully most ppl know to ask for a CRO when they run into problems like this, though!)

I shared some horror stories with her (with all the people who try to fly their show dogs and pets inside a plane) and she told me that if an employee is caught being lax with the regulations they will be subject to dismissal......

I hope so!!!!!

I can see where the airline would punish the person, but I think dismissal would be quite harsh. It can be hard sometimes to determine a real SD (such as one that alerts to seizures in an otherwise perfectly healthy person) from an overly-trained show dog (they're used to noise and hustle and bustle). I can see them being severely punished for a poorly-behaving pet that is barking, running around, peeing/pooping, chewing, jumping, etc. of course (and they should be punished for that!!).

Hi Wizard of Roz. I haven't been on the boards in a while, and it is great to see the spirited debate and defense of service dogs. Thanks for all your tips last year, when we took Werin with Cameron on their first cruise. We are set to go on another in August with HAL and looking forward to it immensely.

It is great to read through the threads and read your passion. It is getting trickier all the time and we see dogs all the time that don't fit the traditional service dog mold, like Werin and wonder if documentation checks and like are what will be coming next in the law.

Thought I would post the link again to the Department of Justice Special Business Brief on Service Dogs. We carry this one with us and have only had to use once. While people aren't allowed to ask for documentation, as stated in the brief, we always offer to show our CCI card if they ask.

http://www.ada.gov/svcanimb.htm

" As things are, however, I've resigned myself to having to leave her behind when we cruise, just as I do whenever we go to Disney World.

All the best,

Deb K."

Deb K -- We take Werin to Disney World and Disneyland as the staff are best at dealing with service dogs. They always know what to do and are ready to help -- travel with Werin is a great adventure, but we have found Disney locations are the BEST to travel to with Werin. From their policies on sharing line passes, so some of the behind the scenes we have seen on rides based on our alternative entrances - taking her to Disney was the best. Hope you reconsider.

Susan: How wonderful to hear from you. I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise. Please tell us all about it. What line were you on? And, how was your SD experience?

I, too, flash my CCI I.D. Card....It has helped to move things along with immigration and hotel staff! I wish all organizations that trained these amazing dogs would supply their people with them!!!!

We just got off HAL, Oosterdam (wonderful crew) and will be boarding the Golden Princess (we've been on her before, we loved her!) We'll be onboard for two weeks, to Hawaii! Hawaii is a bit more complicated than Mexico or the Caribbean; they require a Rabies Titer test, prior to boarding along with the Agricultural Inspection Form. It's not complicated and not terribly invasive. Although, I don't like to "needle stick" Brenny, at all! I make my husband go in with her......I'm a coward about inflicting even a pinch to my girl!!!!!

HAL's a fabulous line. If you have a veranda and would like it, they will move the potty box there. If not, they will put it on the Promenade Deck, forward.

I'm so glad you're venturing out with Werin. It's so good for all of you, especially Cameron.

Liz: What a wonderful group of people you have signed-up! It took me a while to figure it out.....I thought you guys were bug collectors; or, I don't know some kind of "crawly things" groupies!!!!!!!

You're just "Cruise Critters!" How cute is that?

Where are you going and when?

I'd love to cruise with a group of people like you!!!!!!

Hi Roz :D

At the moment we dont know when or where we will be going...all we know is it will be the Genesis Inaugural in the Fall of 2009 from Fort Lauderdale....ok are we crazy or what eh :D

We are very lucky we do have an amazing group who love to chat and plan and are getting to know each other a bit as we wait for more details to be released about the cruise etc.:D

We have our own Mayor,we have a Goodwill Ambassador,we have our own Critter-Dales (like Chippendales) ;). We have a lot of great people who are helping out with our plans to make this the best group cruise :D And of course not forgetting we have already a wonderful Service Dog in the group, Suzanne.

You guys are amazing....So, you leave from Ft. Lauderdale; I'm assuming it will be 7 days; I'm also assuming it will be the Caribbean.....Maybe, maybe not???

I wish I could be so spontaneous....I have a job that dictates that I be around for "certain" events....I work for a fund raising organizaition. I get a lot of time off but it has to be around certain times.......

I would love to be with you......Please keep us all posted on how and when it goes! All the details!

Have fun! Like I have to tell you guys that???? :rolleyes:

Hey Roz, Actually it's Peter this time (should have put that at the end). To catch you up with our Werin travels - we go everywhere with her. Our cruise last year on HAL was on the Oosterdam for an Alaskan cruise from Seattle. We had a balcony, but enjoyed walking Werin around the Promenade to the box, rather than have it in the room, but can see how maybe on our next cruise with our balcony -- that might be so much easier.

Don't worry about us and getting out with Werin, our famous SD. We encourage everyone to take their service dog whereever they go. Here is a short list of the trips and events that Werin has helped Cameron in travelling since we got her four years ago. We joke that we know every patch of grass alongside every monument, hotel, or airport. We threaten to start a website with the complete list of "toileting" areas as it takes a lot of research to find them all, especially at airports - but they are there.:

• New York City: Subway and Natural History Museum including the Butterfly Exhibit (the keeper just eyed us through the whole exhibit thinking Werin would eat a priceless butterfly, We like staying near Battery Park, as there is lots of green spaces for Werin to do her business in, rather than mid-town which is a bit more tricky.
  • Obviously the cruise last year on HAL from Seattle. But that trip also included the Boeing Factory in Everett, WA, shopping downtown, the photographer tour in Ketchican, and the glacier in Juneau. In Seattle we stayed at the Marriott Waterfront and would walk down to the dog park on the waterfront for "business purposes"
  • San Diego, Laguna Beach and Los Angeles, CA: Queen Mary (the original), Legoland, Laguna Beach and of course - Disneyland Resort
  • Multiple trips to Regina, SK Canada and rural Saskatchewan including the spa in Moose Jaw (yeah that is the real name) and Fort Que'apelle.
  • Victoria, British Columbia and the Victoria Clipper ferry - multiple times (there is a great dog park in Victoria where Werin has taken breaks from working to check out everyone else.
  • Washington D.C. on the Metro, the Smithsonian Museums, and all the monuments.
  • Werin has gone in all modes of transportation including train, bus, car, plane and ship.
  • Mall of America in MN (There is a great gravel service dog relief area in the Minneapolis airport)
  • Birmingham Alabama, Chicago and all kinds of points in between. We have gotten stuck in cities without our suitcases in between flights and all kinds of problems, but just plowing through -- it has always worked out!

So those of you out there that think that travelling with a service dog is impossible - don't believe it. It is scary -- sure. Can the unexpected happen - Sure. Do some people act badly when we come up with Werin - sure -- But has it been the best thing that has happened to us and Cameron -- ABSOLUTELY!

Peter, Peter, Peter........So sorry, I didn't know it was you!!!!!

Wow! You are my hero! And so is your wonderful Werin! You guys really get out there! I'm so glad to see that!!!!!! So do we! Every chance we get! I'd love to see Werin and Brenny together, doing their CCI thing.

I'll buy the book on rest stops and grassy areas. Actually, it would be kind of funny. Kind of a "Werin and Me!" Kind of book!

Thanks for the information and travelog! I'm actually envious of some of the spots you've been to! I'm gonna have to do some heavy duty catch-up here!!!!! I want to take her to New York, at Christmas......I'd think the NY'rs wouldn't even "blink" at a service dog!

Stay well and keep on traveling. Let us know about your upcoming cruise. And what your next travels will be!!!!

You and your family are an inspiration to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roz,

Your words are so kind. Yeah, I guess we just keep going and try not to let setbacks get in our way. Travel is "kind of" our passion, plus service dog access - so it goes really well together.

When Marley and Me came out, I thought stories with Werin would make a great second book -- maybe I just need to get off my duff and write them down.

BTW - here is a question. do you usually book the Holland America transfers to the cruise. We have the worst time with cabs in getting around and I am wondering if booking the HAL transfer is the best bet. We did it in Seattle, but Boston and Montreal are our next areas and we were hoping to stay over a night, then go to the airport -- any thoughts on what has worked well for you in the past?

Peter: I use Hotel transfers......What ever hotel we've stayed in the night before is what we use to transfer to the dock. They're very accommodating. Or, we will rent or drive our own car. We live fairly close to L.A.; Long Beach; San Diego or San Francisco. I park in the garage of the hotel or in a public area. Some hotels offer a "Cruise and Snooze" package, where you park you car in their garage and you can leave it for the duration of the cruise for a smaller price than the public lots offer.

I try and find cruises that leave from the above docks. If I can't, I play the "Cab/Me/DH and Brenny Game"

THE GAME: I put my DH and Brenny on the curb. I appear to be alone; I flag down a cab; I hold the cab door, while warning the driver that there are ADA laws that could fine him heavily if he gives me any problems. I motion to DH to come over, I then promise the driver that I will be very careful as to not scratch his "pleather" seats!!!!!

I sit in first, DH holds onto Brenny; I then invite her in by motioning to the floor; she steps in (usually it's a large, loping, lunge onto the back seat of our car); I nudge her butt to the seat; pull her onto it; DH gets in and the driver is very impressed as to how gingerly and carefully this huge, black lab is put into his "precious cab!"

I'll play any game it takes to make our lives easier and to keep some kind of "comfort zone" for the next person using a Service Dog and just what or who they may encounter!;)

I, too, flash my CCI I.D. Card....It has helped to move things along with immigration and hotel staff! I wish all organizations that trained these amazing dogs would supply their people with them!!!!

When you do that, you make access for other disabled ppl with SDs harder. Not everybody has or carries an ID card or is willing to show one. Not every SD is program- or professional trainer-trained.

I have an ID for my SD that has her certification on the back of it, but I never show it for access in the US since it is against the law for them to require it. I don't want to make it hard for the next person with an SD to enter into a place, as I wouldn't want somebody to make it hard for me to enter a place. They can ask me if I'm disabled, if she's my SD, and what tasks she has been trained to do that mitigate my disabilities and I will answer (those are legal questions), but usually if I do get asked something, it is just if she's an SD and then they are fine. I don't want to train businesses to think they can require an ID, which is just what happens when somebody goes flashing IDs around. Disabled ppl do not need to show an ID to enter a place any more than abled ppl do.

A simple, "She's my service dog," or, if further info. is needed, short bit about SDs and the law is all that is needed. Education is much better for all rather than being lazy and flashing a worthless card. (There is no official certification in the US, so the card doesn't say much. And anybody can make a card - or even waste money buying one from an Internet company [sadly, there are ppl who scam others out there by selling them ID/certification cards when the ppl have never even seen the dog!].) It is reasonable to say flashing a card is selfish, too, as it only benefits you, but hurts ppl who come after you.

Hawaii is a bit more complicated than Mexico or the Caribbean; they require a Rabies Titer test, prior to boarding along with the Agricultural Inspection Form. It's not complicated and not terribly invasive. Although, I don't like to "needle stick" Brenny, at all! I make my husband go in with her......I'm a coward about inflicting even a pinch to my girl!!!!!

Aww! She'll be fine, don't worry. My girl doesn't even flinch, so their methods must not hurt much at all. (I sure wish it were the same for humans!!!!! Darn vampire docs!!! LOL.)

How much is your vet charging for the rabies titer blood draw? My vet was expensive when I asked about doing one (before I found out Cayman doesn't accept animals coming from Mexico, our previous port). Obviously, the price would be worth it for a whole cruise to Hawaii, though, as you sure would want to get off the ship! I am thinking of just getting a titer done so that I have it done and then won't have to worry about doing it in the future if I ever travel to a place it is required (it is good unless you miss a rabies booster by a day or more, three-year labeled vaccines accepted). I might get it done in June when we go for the free Wellness Profile (from the National Service Dog Eye Exam Day event).

If you're an IAADP member, remember that you get 50% off the rabies titer testing as well as priority status (they do IAADP members before all other dogs).

I sit in first, DH holds onto Brenny; I then invite her in by motioning to the floor; she steps in (usually it's a large, loping, lunge onto the back seat of our car); I nudge her butt to the seat; pull her onto it; DH gets in and the driver is very impressed as to how gingerly and carefully this huge, black lab is put into his "precious cab!"

SDs should ride on the floor of public vehicles (cabs, buses, trains, planes, Ducks, subways, etc.). Just like elsewhere, they shouldn't be on a seat as etiquette and good will.

Quam: I so appreciate your input.....That being said: I don't think an Organization such as Canine Companions for Independence, who is highly respected in the Service Dog training arena, for over 30 years, would appreciate your comments on the "Permit Cards" that are given to service teams, following their graduation.

The permit states the Tattoo Number (every SD had an identifying Tattoo in one ear); Participant Graduate Name; Canine Name; CCI Regional Program Manager; and Expiration Date of SD's service permit (since CCI dogs are required to pass public access tests, every 1 - 3 years.)

The back of the permit express's the ADA laws and has the phone number or address for people who are questioning the SD so their good questions may be answered by a training professional!

Some folks who walk or wheel with an SD don't have the capability of speaking or hearing and don't always have someone with them to explain the SD. PLEASE STOP being so negative about these permits. They do serve a purpose for many and are NOT illegal in any way!!!!!!!! They CAN NOT be gotten by everyone (not sold on the internet or in any other way) and are highly prized by those who have earned them!!!!!!!

If you can easily express yourself, verbally....that is a wonderful thing. Some can not!

Also, a 70-100 pound SD can not maneuver itself onto the floor of a car (cab), the seat, in front, may be pushed all the way back or there simply is not enough room for the dog and to expect him/her to fit into all floors of cars is not always possible (especially with the down sizing of foreign cabs) and, could keep someone from venturing out into life (also, some SD's must be very, very close to the person they are working for: to alert to heart rhythms/blood pressure/diabetes, siezures, etc)......it is in no way intrusive of the SD to lay on the seat, next to their owner. These dogs are trained not to stand or in anyway cause obstruction or to be rude..........

I hope that I've been helpful.....All of what I mention is to be informative and to apprise the public of the differentials in Service Dog Training and what you may encounter when you/they see one!!!!!

Just as with people.....Service Dogs come in different shapes/sizes and colors. They perform a myriad of tasks......The public does very well when they are informed.

We walk/wheel with these wonderful beings and only we know how difficult that can be, sometimes.....Let's be more understanding and accepting of each others way in which we do our walking or wheeling!!!!!!

Quam: I so appreciate your input.....That being said: I don't think an Organization such as Canine Companions for Independence, who is highly respected in the Service Dog training arena, for over 30 years, would appreciate your comments on the "Permit Cards" that are given to service teams, following their graduation.

I didn't make any comments about CCI's permit cards.

The permit states the Tattoo Number (every SD had an identifying Tattoo in one ear); Participant Graduate Name; Canine Name; CCI Regional Program Manager; and Expiration Date of SD's service permit (since CCI dogs are required to pass public access tests, every 1 - 3 years.)

My SD's certification expires every two years, as well. We have to go back for our next test late this year.

The back of the permit express's the ADA laws and has the phone number or address for people who are questioning the SD so their good questions may be answered by a training professional!

I have a card from our trainer that states access is required and has a number ppl can call her for questions, as well. I also carry the DOJ's ADA Hotline phone number with me on a separate card in my dog's pack (that card also has a summary of the ADA laws on it).

Some folks who walk or wheel with an SD don't have the capability of speaking or hearing and don't always have someone with them to explain the SD. PLEASE STOP being so negative about these permits. They do serve a purpose for many and are NOT illegal in any way!!!!!!!! They CAN NOT be gotten by everyone (not sold on the internet or in any other way) and are highly prized by those who have earned them!!!!!!!

It isn't illegal for ppl to show them, but by showing them they cause the ppl the businesses to do illegal things by requiring them for the next team that comes along. This DOES indeed happen in real life. And, yes, certification and ID cards CAN indeed be purchased online. The companies who sell them haven't ever seen the dog, but some do certify the dog regardless. (Some other companies state they aren't certifications, just IDs, but nobody in the public knows the difference.) Just give them money and they'll give you a card and maybe patches, too. It is easy for somebody with a pet to do this AND THEY HAVE. It is disgusting and I wish the gov't could shut such companies down.

Yes, TRUE certification after lots of training for tasks and public access and testing for both IS something to be proud of. I know I am. But there are many certifications out there gotten by people who just paid money for them. And there is no standard or law for certification in this country, so certifications are, indeed, meaningless for access. (They may be helpful in a court of law, as would any other type of proof that aren't certifications.)

If you can easily express yourself, verbally....that is a wonderful thing. Some can not!

Yes, but verbally isn't the only way one can express themselves. Try a paper explaining what SDs are, for instance.

Also, a 70-100 pound SD can not maneuver itself onto the floor of a car (cab), the seat, in front, may be pushed all the way back or there simply is not enough room for the dog and to expect him/her to fit into all floors of cars is not always possible (especially with the down sizing of foreign cabs) and, could keep someone from venturing out into life (also, some SD's must be very, very close to the person they are working for: to alert to heart rhythms/blood pressure/diabetes, siezures, etc)......it is in no way intrusive of the SD to lay on the seat, next to their owner. These dogs are trained not to stand or in anyway cause obstruction or to be rude..........

I hope that I've been helpful.....All of what I mention is to be informative and to apprise the public of the differentials in Service Dog Training and what you may encounter when you/they see one!!!!!

Just as with people.....Service Dogs come in different shapes/sizes and colors. They perform a myriad of tasks......The public does very well when they are informed.

We walk/wheel with these wonderful beings and only we know how difficult that can be, sometimes.....Let's be more understanding and accepting of each others way in which we do our walking or wheeling!!!!!!

I think you are forgetting that I have a service dog. She goes everywhere with me because I need her to. There are certain etiquettes we follow as proper things to do with SDs and we follow them. She is never allowed on public seats in buses, taxis, planes, limos, restaurants, etc. no matter what country we are in or how tight a fit it is. It is not appropriate. We can always fit her anywhere, as can other folks I know who have larger dogs.

I want businesses and the public to accept the teams that come behind me as they need to as per the law. I make sure that they will, as I don't do needless selfish things that would prevent access for others. (Not saying ppl are selfish, but the action of flashing a card because an SD handler is too tired or lazy or fed up just so they can get in, without regards to others who come after them, is selfish. The public and businesses don't see many SDs, so when one team does something good or bad, it is remembered and reflects upon any other team who come after them. This is what happens and is documented to happen. I know some folks [including the fakers who take their pets out or onto a plane] don't believe or want to believe it, but it really does happen.)

The last thing I want to comment on about this is in regards to this topic (let's get back to regular SD stuff), as I forgot to say something before.

No, I most certainly can NOT easily express myself verbally. (If dogs could speak English, man would that be a darned good task!!! 'Course, then they could also talk back to us like kids can, so maybe it is good that they can't.... :p ) At least three of my disabilities affect my speaking to/conversing with others. But I try my gosh-darn-hardest to educate businesses, as well as the well-intentioned general public, on the laws and what SDs are and all. If I have a certain couple family members with me, I often let them take the role 'cause it is better for me that way. I don't think I've ever allowed a friend to do such, as I don't believe in passing the buck to them (plus they don't always know the laws or right things to say), and I do go out alone, so I do have to do it myself when needed.

I hardly ever get an access challenge and never a denial, but when I do, I've never had to flash our ID card, certification (it is in miniature on the back of the ID), or the cards with the ADA summary and ADA Hotline & trainer's numbers on them. I'm not opposed to showing the ID in a country where there are no access laws, but I go with education first and that's always been enough so I've never had to show anything outside the US, either.

Now ... I think you said Brennie likes to play ball, yes? Have you seen this new toy that came out called Ring Zinger? It is a hollow rubber ring (doughnut shape) that you launch with a plastic thing that is similar to those tennis ball launchers. The difference is that, unlike a tennis ball that flies through the air and lands in one spot, this thing goes a short distance through the air, lands and bounces a bit, and then rolls along the ground for a very long distance. Dogs are to chase after it. It is pretty neat. Using it takes a small amount of force and the ability to remember the correct direction to hold the launcher (yes, I know this from experience... :o ), but it is cool. It can be used with one hand or two hands. Look it up at www.NaturesInstinct.com (I saw the ad for it in the recent issue of "BARK" magazine and just had to order it!)

Hi

It seems like forever since I have been on this Board.

Oz (my hear hear guide dog) and I have just returned from a repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver via Mexico. And, my, my, my it was interesting. Wonderful ship, food, crew...........but the issue was with Oz.

Oz made it even more interesting, due to his food poisoning. Yup, food poisoning and all the symptoms.

We flew to San Diego and spent two wonderful days. Just as we were crossing the street to board a cruise ship, Oz apparently spotted a piece of uneaten food and got to it before I even noticed.........I had Oz, a purse and two suitcases on the move.

That night and all overnight he had all the symptoms of food poisoning. This continued the next day so I took him to the ship's doctor. She didn't know what to do for such a little guy. I had all his documents, so I suggested we call his vet in Canada. Thank goodness D'arcy was in his office.

Between the ship's doctor and our vet on the phone, they were able to translate human antibiotics to what animals take as antibiotics. We left the medical clinic with three different antibiotic prescriptions, with each pill cut in fours and to be taken for 5 days and baby diapers. I was told Oz could not have anything to eat for those 5 days except rice and chicken. The cook on the ship was more than happy to accommodate my request for rice and chicken.

Poor Oz was one sick pup. He had so many passengers and staff on the ship asking how he was and wishing him well. Got to admit he is a cutie.

I will read the recent boards tomorrow, I only had time to scan them and the recent topic appears to be playing with balls. Our guide school does not teach dogs to chase balls. Not knowing this, when I first got Oz, I bought balls and threw them for Oz to chase. You guessed it........I chased the balls.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

1556343635_ozinsd001.jpg.eb7a05a84e96bd9b6dcb379d46dec85a.jpg

I went back to page 13 before it is time for bed. Well actually overtime to go to bed since I am in Ontario Canada.

Something that really distresses me after finally gaining rights for guide dogs and guide dog users, are the great number of websites that sell guide/service dogs badges/jackets/photo IDs. Due to this, it will be increasingly problematic to assure trains/planes/cruise ships that our dogs are the "real thing."

Is there anything we can do?

Just google guide/service dogs jackets and you will be distressed too.

MCDW: I'm so sorry to hear about "Oz's" encounter with the "who knows what it is" food source. Brenda, on occasion, has gotten something from underneath a table, in a restaurant, (we've learned to puruse the floor, before she's placed there) and has had a tummy ache with all the symptoms that go with it!!!!

I certainly hope he's feeling better! Your wonderful attitude helped to make a terrible situation, bareable!

I, too, am upset about these vests and capes being sold on the internet. Which is why I always like to show the full paperwork, from CCI, verifying Brenda's accreditation!

On all the cruises/plane and train travels that we have done (for the past 5 1/2 years)....I have yet to run across any service dog, other than two seeing eye dogs and three dogs wearing a CCI vest, who either looked like a "fake" or acted in any way other than a professionally trained service dog!!!!!

I'm afraid I would be the one to turn the "fake" in! I'd probably wind-up confronting them; insisting on seeing some sort of documentation that the public venue wouldn't realize the person should be carrying and asking where the dog was trained? What does the dog do? Etc., etc. The "fake" would have "no clue", that some of my questions were illegal (as "Quam" would put it), no matter, I would be insistent! I would then go directly to the Hotel Manager (and, if they were a "fake"), I would request that they either be thrown out or be asked to keep their "fake" in the cabin, until the cruise were over!!!!!!!

I worked and waited too hard and long for my service dog to allow ANYONE to "fake-it" with a vest that they purchased "on-line!"

It's up to us to make sure that the "fakes" are found out and that it not be made easy for them to bring their "pets" into the public venue!!!!!

The vests that are given to CCI graduates can not be gotten any way, except thru CCI. The detailed "logo" on both sides can not be easily copied!!!!!!!

Another reason why "Permits" and documentation should ALWAYS be asked for and shown in the public arena!

Any paperwork can be falsified, it would just make it more work for the "fakes!" And, of course, if the dog were behaving badly (even if licensed), they could be asked to leave.......................

I'm sorry this is so wordy....

Oz made it even more interesting, due to his food poisoning. Yup, food poisoning and all the symptoms.

Oh no!!! :( Poor Oz!

That night and all overnight he had all the symptoms of food poisoning. This continued the next day so I took him to the ship's doctor. She didn't know what to do for such a little guy. I had all his documents, so I suggested we call his vet in Canada. Thank goodness D'arcy was in his office.

Between the ship's doctor and our vet on the phone, they were able to translate human antibiotics to what animals take as antibiotics. We left the medical clinic with three different antibiotic prescriptions, with each pill cut in fours and to be taken for 5 days and baby diapers. I was told Oz could not have anything to eat for those 5 days except rice and chicken. The cook on the ship was more than happy to accommodate my request for rice and chicken.

That is awesome that they helped you!! I guess that answers the long-wondered question of whether or not the ship's doc would be willing to help an SD or not. Well, at least for that doc, anyway. I guess it might be on a doc-by-doc basis.

That's great that the ship's cook made you the rice and boiled chicken, too. That always works wonders when my SD gets ill. (She doesn't get ill often, but the two or three times it has happened, fasting and then doing rice/boiled chicken for a few meals works well.)

That's funny that they gave you baby diapers for the dog! I'm chuckling imagining a dog wearing one. ;)

Our guide school does not teach dogs to chase balls. Not knowing this, when I first got Oz, I bought balls and threw them for Oz to chase. You guessed it........I chased the balls.

Hehe, don't you just love chasing balls?! :rolleyes: Silly doggies!

BTW, thanks for posting that photo - oh my gosh, Oz is adorable!!! :D