Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
wizard-of-roz

Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, rangeley said:

I still can't believe we are going! 

If you see me first you have to yell......Thelma!  If I see you first I'll yell.......Louise!  Watch us both forget what to yell and totally walk by each other.....at least for the first time.  I NEVER go out and about without Horton.  You'll be able to walk right past me and I won't know it.  I'll be looking for Oakland, John and you. 

 

It's going to be so hard not to cry, Cindy, we've been through so much together, without not being together.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rangeley said:

Happy Birthday my friend! ❤️🎂🎁🎉  From Oakland too! 

FB_IMG_1557365501899.jpg

Awe!  Oakey!  I owe you a big kiss for being so cute.  Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Plant said:

Happy Birthday, Roz!  Have a wonderful day!

(P.S. I sent you a friend request, I think!!)

 

Thank you......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

It's going to be so hard not to cry, Cindy, we've been through so much together, without not being together

I've already thought about that. We could be two blubbering idiots at the dock. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Birthday Roz.

 

I found a service dog trainer here in Florida, I meet her on Monday and we develop a plan for the next tasks.  I have to keep training Halo on new tasks since I have a progressive disease and there seems to be always something new he can help me with.  I had a great trainer in Idaho and was trying to meet up with her when I went back, but she was diagnosed with cancer.  She hasn't back off her service dog program, but has some of the training she does outside of the program.  And, although she and I became friends, I am not consistent with when I am back, so I am the first to be refused training.  I completely understand and have no hard feelings about it.

 

I read, yesterday, the airlines are now considering cats as well as dogs and miniature horses for full service animals.  I wonder how they can do that when the ADA only recognizes dogs and miniature horses.

 

Linda and Halo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

 

I read, yesterday, the airlines are now considering cats as well as dogs and miniature horses for full service animals.  I wonder how they can do that when the ADA only recognizes dogs and miniature horses.

 

Linda and Halo 

Sorry about your friend.  Hope Halo gets the training to keep helping you.

 

Airlines have so little room now, how will they allow a mini horse on the plane?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Rocky went to first training class today at a new place.  There was an older gentleman there with a large black, hairy dog.  First thing the dog got loose.  After they captured him and we continued, I heard a loud, scary ruckus and the big dog had grabbed one of the little dogs and was shaking her back and forth like a rag doll.  The instructors ran and got the big dog to drop the little dog.  She is ok, other than having to go to emergency with 2 large puncture holes and gashes on her side!  Rocky was so scared he ran between my legs and stayed there.  Fortunately the ladies vet was the one on call.  Just as a side note.  The older gentleman was using oxygen, and could not handle this dog.  The instructors said "don't let this scare you. ". Most of you know, I am no whimp and I was scared.  Next week on start on the Thursday class.  I heard it is "just" different.  We also had a little girl around 9 with a big mixed, hairy dog.  When they asked her if she was training him or her mom, she said "my mom is scared of him."  "My dad usually handles him."  So I am thinking then WHERE IS YOUR DAD?  Especially in light of what happened later.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

So, Rocky went to first training class today at a new place.  There was an older gentleman there with a large black, hairy dog.  First thing the dog got loose.  After they captured him and we continued, I heard a loud, scary ruckus and the big dog had grabbed one of the little dogs and was shaking her back and forth like a rag doll.  The instructors ran and got the big dog to drop the little dog.  She is ok, other than having to go to emergency with 2 large puncture holes and gashes on her side!  Rocky was so scared he ran between my legs and stayed there.  Fortunately the ladies vet was the one on call.  Just as a side note.  The older gentleman was using oxygen, and could not handle this dog.  The instructors said "don't let this scare you. ". Most of you know, I am no whimp and I was scared.  Next week on start on the Thursday class.  I heard it is "just" different.  We also had a little girl around 9 with a big mixed, hairy dog.  When they asked her if she was training him or her mom, she said "my mom is scared of him."  "My dad usually handles him."  So I am thinking then WHERE IS YOUR DAD?  Especially in light of what happened later.  

After that Rocky isn't looking that bad! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, rpclmc said:

read, yesterday, the airlines are now considering cats as well as dogs and miniature horses for full service animals.  I wonder how they can do that when the ADA only recognizes dogs and miniature horses.

Thats very strange. Imagine seeing a horse on a plane!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roz, sending slightly-belated birthday wishes - hope it was a good one.

 

When we lived in the Virgin Islands, the local term for December 26 (Boxing Day) was Christmas Second Day. So in our house, the day after a birthday, of course, is always “Birthday Second Day.” So, enjoy yours!

 

(We also celebrate Valentine’s Second Day, Halloween Second Day, Anniversary Second Day, and so on. Any excuse to keep the celebration going, right?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 5:36 AM, rangeley said:

I've already thought about that. We could be two blubbering idiots at the dock. 😂

Oh! Yeah!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 6:32 PM, S.S. Cruisers said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANTIE ROZ!  Hope you are having a pawsome day!

Thank you, Miss. Nancy.  Any time I spend with my children and my amazing dog is the best time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Roz, sending slightly-belated birthday wishes - hope it was a good one.

 

When we lived in the Virgin Islands, the local term for December 26 (Boxing Day) was Christmas Second Day. So in our house, the day after a birthday, of course, is always “Birthday Second Day.” So, enjoy yours!

 

(We also celebrate Valentine’s Second Day, Halloween Second Day, Anniversary Second Day, and so on. Any excuse to keep the celebration going, right?)

Chris, thank you so much.  I'll take all the good wishes today, yesterday and always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rangeley said:

Thats very strange. Imagine seeing a horse on a plane!! 

Honestly, Horton probably weighs as much as a minature horse and the horse doesn't require laying down.  As long as they are placed in a secure area where they can stand and fall asleep, they're good.  I have yet to see a horse in the public venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Honestly, Horton probably weighs as much as a minature horse and the horse doesn't require laying down.  As long as they are placed in a secure area where they can stand and fall asleep, they're good.  I have yet to see a horse in the public venue.

How much does Horty weigh? Oakland is around 62. Wexler was about 72.

Edited by rangeley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 We always send laundry out around day 3 of our cruise. I noticed Princess has self serve laundry. Anyone done this? Since John can't carry anything but himself and the dog, I have to get everything else. One BIG suitcase, a shower chair, Oaklands carryon, Johns backpack and my purse.  So I'm pretty limited on how much clothing I can bring. ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rangeley said:

 We always send laundry out around day 3 of our cruise. I noticed Princess has self serve laundry. Anyone done this? Since John can't carry anything but himself and the dog, I have to get everything else. One BIG suitcase, a shower chair, Oaklands carryon, Johns backpack and my purse.  So I'm pretty limited on how much clothing I can bring. ☹️

What ship are you sailing? I've found the self-service laundry to be fine.  Just try to use it at an "off" time, like when everyone's off on excursions, or really late or early.  I usually pack for 5-7 days no matter how long we'll be gone.  I usually do laundry twice a week. Unless it's changed, it's $2.00 to wash and $2.00 to dry.  You buy tokens to use in the machines.  I bring my own detergent sheets, but you can buy those, too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Plant said:

What ship are you sailing? I've found the self-service laundry to be fine.  Just try to use it at an "off" time, like when everyone's off on excursions, or really late or early.  I usually pack for 5-7 days no matter how long we'll be gone.  I usually do laundry twice a week. Unless it's changed, it's $2.00 to wash and $2.00 to dry.  You buy tokens to use in the machines.  I bring my own detergent sheets, but you can buy those, too. 

 

Sailing the Royal. I've never been on a ship that has self serve laundry. Not that I want to do laundry of vacation. But its nice to have. Thanks for all the info. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rangeley said:

 We always send laundry out around day 3 of our cruise. I noticed Princess has self serve laundry. Anyone done this? Since John can't carry anything but himself and the dog, I have to get everything else. One BIG suitcase, a shower chair, Oaklands carryon, Johns backpack and my purse.  So I'm pretty limited on how much clothing I can bring. ☹️

I've never used the self service laundry but have been told and heard that they're very good.

 

The showers in the HC cabins have pull down shower chairs.  I hope this saves you from shlepping a chair.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...