Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
wizard-of-roz

Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, rangeley said:

Wow sounds just like Oakland. He too is incredibly laid back. Nothing like Wexler, who was a nervous nelly.  I assume if Halo is part great dane that he must be big? Oakland is only 62lbs, 10lbs less than Wexler. It's funny how different they all are. 

He didn't get as big as we anticipated.  But I think he is bigger than most dogs on here.  He is 85 lbs, the way he does things; closings doors, opening doors, etc, is so gentle, you would think he was 10 lbs.

 

When out in public working, he gets very serious and focused.  At home, if I ask him to do something he gets so excited, he is always checking on me.  

 

Linda and Halo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Ok, gonna try and post a picture of what happens when puppers are left home with daddy.  They get funny hairdo. Princess Leia from Star Wars!  BOL.  BOL.

CCF44B12-5A66-4033-9392-CEF87D7B6186.jpeg

He makes me smile.  Those incredible eyes are pure magic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

He didn't get as big as we anticipated.  But I think he is bigger than most dogs on here.  He is 85 lbs, the way he does things; closings doors, opening doors, etc, is so gentle, you would think he was 10 lbs.

 

When out in public working, he gets very serious and focused.  At home, if I ask him to do something he gets so excited, he is always checking on me.  

 

Linda and Halo

Halo and Horton are the same.  Horton is a big boy and is also a very gentle giant.  I don't think I could ever have a smaller dog.  I love having a big dog in my world.  It's so much easier for me to dress him and handle him because I don't have so far to reach down.  Much easier on my back!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Ok, gonna try and post a picture of what happens when puppers are left home with daddy.  They get funny hairdo. Princess Leia from Star Wars!  BOL.  BOL.

CCF44B12-5A66-4033-9392-CEF87D7B6186.jpeg

He looks like a moose!! Adorable! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rpclmc said:

He didn't get as big as we anticipated.  But I think he is bigger than most dogs on here.  He is 85 lbs, the way he does things; closings doors, opening doors, etc, is so gentle, you would think he was 10 lbs.

 

When out in public working, he gets very serious and focused.  At home, if I ask him to do something he gets so excited, he is always checking on me.  

 

Linda and Halo

85lbs is pretty big! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Halo and Horton are the same.  Horton is a big boy and is also a very gentle giant.  I don't think I could ever have a smaller dog.  I love having a big dog in my world.  It's so much easier for me to dress him and handle him because I don't have so far to reach down.  Much easier on my back!

 

 

We started out with small dogs, for pets, daschunds.   I didn't think I liked big dogs.  Then we got a lab, as a pet.  We haven't gone back to small dogs and don't ever want to.

 

We loved our daschies very much; thought they were the world.  After not having any and dog sitting some, those are some obnoxious dogs.  

 

Linda and Halo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I've been gone a while!

Roz - happy belated birthday!  It sounds like you had a house full of fun!  I'm sure it was fun, and it was nice to get the house back to you and Horton as well.

 

My new job is going well.  Well the job is, Scooter missing the going.  On Tuesday and Thursday, we are working intently from home.  On MWF, I still teach at the U in the mornings, then work from home afternoon and into the evening a little bit.  

 

I'm enjoying reading about everyone's dogs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Wow, I've been gone a while!

Roz - happy belated birthday!  It sounds like you had a house full of fun!  I'm sure it was fun, and it was nice to get the house back to you and Horton as well.

 

My new job is going well.  Well the job is, Scooter missing the going.  On Tuesday and Thursday, we are working intently from home.  On MWF, I still teach at the U in the mornings, then work from home afternoon and into the evening a little bit.  

 

I'm enjoying reading about everyone's dogs!

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes.  

 

I wish you much success on your new job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the fake service dog topic on HAL has surfaced again.  Thanks for speaking up for us Roz. You get your points across so well. And that one about the poor stewards having to clean up pee and poop in the rooms and how dirty dogs are was so out of line.  Being hairless Chavela gets a shower almost every time I do. She's probably cleaned then half the passengers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I adore Horton to the ends of the earth......That said, he's more work than five 2 year old's.  He has more needs and never tells me what's going on - His verbal skills suck! 

 

However,  he won't leave a mess in an elevator, or say mean words, or bang on walls and raise his voice.  He won't push or shove his way into a line or try to grab a chair before you do.   As a matter of fact just having him around can actually lower your blood pressure and save your life.

 

Because Horton helps me to be a more independent and active person in society, it's imperative that I take excellent care of him.  And, as you know that means a lot of work.  Anyone who makes light of the work that must be done for our SD's has no idea of what it takes to maintain them.  I fulfill all of Horton's needs with respect and honor for the partner that he is.  He in turn helps me and assists me without reservation.  It's a love, great respect relationship.

 

My biggest complaint would be that our wonderful dogs don't live long enough!

 

I will defend our dogs to the end of my life!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I adore Horton to the ends of the earth......That said, he's more work than five 2 year old's.  He has more needs and never tells me what's going on - His verbal skills suck! 

 

However,  he won't leave a mess in an elevator, or say mean words, or bang on walls and raise his voice.  He won't push or shove his way into a line or try to grab a chair before you do.   As a matter of fact just having him around can actually lower your blood pressure and save your life.

 

Because Horton helps me to be a more independent and active person in society, it's imperative that I take excellent care of him.  And, as you know that means a lot of work.  Anyone who makes light of the work that must be done for our SD's has no idea of what it takes to maintain them.  I fulfill all of Horton's needs with respect and honor for the partner that he is.  He in turn helps me and assists me without reservation.  It's a love, great respect relationship.

 

My biggest complaint would be that our wonderful dogs don't live long enough!

 

I will defend our dogs to the end of my life!

Yep they should live as long as us. And al my animals, yes even my fish, get treated like royalty, they didn’t ask to come live with me so will get the best treatment I can possibly give them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep they should live as long as us. And al my animals, yes even my fish, get treated like royalty, they didn’t ask to come live with me so will get the best treatment I can possibly give them.

I never did get having fish.  My daughter got 2 betas when she was in the dorm because that is all they could have for pets.  She brought them home for the summer.

 

Everyone in my family swore I had lost my mind.  I saw her feed them, just threw the food in closed the lid and went to work.  I told her no wonder they weren't eating and depressed.  I started feeding them, I would make sure they came out from their hiding spots, put the food right in front of them and talked to them.  Every time I went by their tanks I would stop and say hi.  

 

They started coming out, greeting me and by the end of summer,  if I put a finger in the top of the tank they would come up for a back petting.  Some days they would do spins when they came out for me.  Their color got better and they put on a bit of weight, looked healthy again.

 

My daughter said they obviously didn't like here and I could have them.  I told her I couldn't keep them since I go back and forth between Idaho and Florida homes and travel a lot.  I told her to show them some loves.

 

I still can't believe I did that with fish.

 

Linda and Halo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A number of my fish would come for a pat, one would even nibble at my finger. And it so relaxing to watch them swim around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rangeley said:

One month to go Roz. I'm freaking already! 🤪

Screenshot_20191008-202715.png

With all the planning and research you have done, I am sure all will go well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rangeley said:

One month to go Roz. I'm freaking already! 🤪

Screenshot_20191008-202715.png

You're so cute!  There's so much to do, I'm sure you're as busy as I am: Vet visit, dog food prep, dog med's prep, dog grooming stuff prep, dog grooming visit, dog toys prep, dog collars prep, dog snacks prep, dog poop bags prep, dog artificial turf prep, dog bed prep, dog paperwork prep, [it does seem that it's all about the dog], get luggage down from storage, put tags on bags, clothes/shoes prep, jewelry prep, makeup prep, meds prep.  Get car serviced, tires rotated, etc.   It seems there's so much to do and not enough of me to do it! 

  

I can't wait for the very first meeting of the dogs.  Horton is going to be so excited to have a buddy to lay with at dinner and in the shows.  I can't wait for the formal pictures of the two of them.  It's going to be so much fun to see everyone's reaction to them.  Ebony & Ivory!  😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s my question for everybody. Does your dog still have his/her dew claws? 

 

The vet for a pet dog we had years ago recommended removing them when the dog was anesthetize anyway for spaying, and it seemed to be a good decision. Raylene arrived with both dew claws on front legs intact. I ALWAYS remind the groomer to trim them, but they end up growing long and sometimes curved. Once on a vacation, she snagged one while running in a field, but not much pain and it fell off the next day. She was fine.

 

This week she jumped up and ran suddenly to go out, and somehow snagged both dew claws painfully Monday night. I didn’t see it happen (Bob did) and we thought it was a mild “ankle” sprain of one paw yesterday morning, but soon realized she was in pain. The vet found that both claws were cracked (one of them was the worst crack he’d seen) so he removed both (the black part of the “toe”) and bandaged her up. 

 

Just curious what your experiences are.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually haven't done anything. Lol  Ok I made the vet and grooming appointment for the dog.  We bought a few new clothes. Thats it. 

 

I cannot wait for the dogs to meet. I have no doubt they will love each other. And it will be fun to watch them interact. 

 

Oakland was sick with a small bout of diarrhea. He had meds and is now on rx food. He has been on Eukanuba dog food since he was a pup. Wexler was also on that and a while after we got him home he had the same problem. So now that Mr. Oak is on the rx food, we feel this is a good time to transition him to another food. He is on Science Diet rx so we are going to put him on SD regular food, which is what we put Wexler on. Hopefully it will be seemless and everything will be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Here’s my question for everybody. Does your dog still have his/her dew claws? 

 

The vet for a pet dog we had years ago recommended removing them when the dog was anesthetize anyway for spaying, and it seemed to be a good decision. Raylene arrived with both dew claws on front legs intact. I ALWAYS remind the groomer to trim them, but they end up growing long and sometimes curved. Once on a vacation, she snagged one while running in a field, but not much pain and it fell off the next day. She was fine.

 

This week she jumped up and ran suddenly to go out, and somehow snagged both dew claws painfully Monday night. I didn’t see it happen (Bob did) and we thought it was a mild “ankle” sprain of one paw yesterday morning, but soon realized she was in pain. The vet found that both claws were cracked (one of them was the worst crack he’d seen) so he removed both (the black part of the “toe”) and bandaged her up. 

 

Just curious what your experiences are.

I've never heard of removing dew claws from dogs, only cats. Poor baby. 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have always been told that the dew claws should be removed.  They missed Reno's and I remember him catching at least 2 times.  Very painful.  Rockford's are removed and it makes for a nice, long, smooth leg.  They usually removed them when they are first born. 

I am getting so excited for you guys too!  Only a month?  Wow, it will be here before you know it. ❤️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we were breeding we always took them off, Max’s breeder left them on futrunately the longer coat gives them a bit of protection, but it sure hurts him when he does catch them on something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scooter has his dew claws.  When we first went to the vet, at 8 weeks, she commented about him still having them on.  She was surprised - said that usually they were removed within a few hours of birth.  Well, Scooter was born in a back-yard breeding as an accident.  He got zero vet care as a pup until I got him, although he was fed and well socialized in that family.    So, he still had his dew claws.  At 8 weeks, I didn't see a reason to subject him to the removal.

 

Since then, I've noticed that he uses them to help hold things.  I make sure to trim them every couple of weeks to avoid issues.  They don't wear down at all, since he doesn't walk or run on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...