Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I hope that Oakland is doing well on new food.  Can't wait to meet you all.

Brenda had her dew claws intact until she passed at age 14, with never an incident with them.  Horton also has his dew claws with no incident, I remind the groomer to trim them each time we go in.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with obtaining an IHC via completely electronic means (can be electronically endorsed by USDA vet and also the USDA Ag office).  If so, what was your turnaround time?    I can find alot of information about the VEHCS system, but none that says what the actual time for endorsement once everything is submitted.

We are 29 days away from our Panama Canal cruise, and will be doing this for Colombia.  We have a vet appt 7 days before we sail, but 4 days before we fly to the port (with 2 days being a weekend).  Just trying to anticipate if this could get endorsed prior to our flying out or not.  If not, I think the vet has to email us the endorsed original as an attachment for us to print from the hotel or something.

I miss the easy paperwork from the Bahamas...........LOL!

Denise

34 minutes ago, allies_daphne said:

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with obtaining an IHC via completely electronic means (can be electronically endorsed by USDA vet and also the USDA Ag office).  If so, what was your turnaround time?    I can find alot of information about the VEHCS system, but none that says what the actual time for endorsement once everything is submitted.

We are 29 days away from our Panama Canal cruise, and will be doing this for Colombia.  We have a vet appt 7 days before we sail, but 4 days before we fly to the port (with 2 days being a weekend).  Just trying to anticipate if this could get endorsed prior to our flying out or not.  If not, I think the vet has to email us the endorsed original as an attachment for us to print from the hotel or something.

Denise

Never dealt with this for my Panama Canal cruise.  I believe that these foreign ports are most concerned about dogs that are NOT properly vaccinated and NOT on HeartGuard and NexGuard or similar flea & tick medicine.  For dogs that are on monthly abatement and vaccinated, as certified by your Vet on the Aphis 7001 form, there should be no problem with your dog entering the Panama Canal ports.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz, not really worried about the vet clearing him, as he is on all the preventives, and we are not getting off in Grand Cayman, so no titer or Prazaquantil.  The Mexico template is ready to go as well.  We don’t get off in Panama, only through the locks.  Colombia is the only port on our trip that participates in completely electronic heath certificate, so I’m wondering about the possibility of having the approved endorsement in hand, prior to flying to the port (2 business days after visit).  I know it’s not instantaneous when it’s submitted, was just hoping someone had some experience with turnaround time for the VEHCS. 

Appreciate your input, with all the experience you have!!

Denise

3 hours ago, alexspepa said:

Hey Everyone...I'm going to post this in the ask a question thread as well, but I applied for a new passport and received it in 16 days and I did not expedite...so if anyone is close to renewal now is a good time.

Wow that is fast! 

22 hours ago, allies_daphne said:

Denise

I have done the paperwork for Colombia, but it was before they started accepting the electronic version so I do not have any information on your question.

On a port stop to Cartagena, they wanted $45 to inspect my service dog.

Dianne

6 hours ago, alexspepa said:

Hey Everyone...I'm going to post this in the ask a question thread as well, but I applied for a new passport and received it in 16 days and I did not expedite...so if anyone is close to renewal now is a good time.

We need to update all three of ours, wish I had the stamina to get it done....Also, since we live in Arizona, we do not have a drivers license that will we will be able to us as ID by the end of 2020.  Need to get the "real" one before time slips away. 

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

We need to update all three of ours, wish I had the stamina to get it done....Also, since we live in Arizona, we do not have a drivers license that will we will be able to us as ID by the end of 2020.  Need to get the "real" one before time slips away. 

Do you need to have the "real id" to get a passport? Maybe if you never had one? 

Edited by rangeley

19 hours ago, rangeley said:

Do you need to have the "real id" to get a passport? Maybe if you never had one? 

I'm not sure, but we all three have expired Passports so we should be good.  I can't believe a state issues "restricted" licenses as a normal business thing.  I know it has gone on for years, but we didn't know they were "restricted" when they issued them to us. Oh , live and learn. 

10 hours ago, rangeley said:

Roz please let us know you are safe and not near these fires. ❤️

I am near the fires.  I live in a community that is surrounded by the hills in which the fires began and are still going.  The air is acrid and the winds are very bad.  I am able to stay in my home but last night it was touch and go.  I was preparing myself to leave when the winds shifted and we no longer had to worry about the flying embers.  Other folks were not as lucky and had to evacuate.  

I'm thankful that Horty and I don't have to flee our home and are safe.  I hope that all of you are safe, as well, and have a good weekend! 

13 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I am near the fires.  I live in a community that is surrounded by the hills in which the fires began and are still going.  The air is acrid and the winds are very bad.  I am able to stay in my home but last night it was touch and go.  I was preparing myself to leave when the winds shifted and we no longer had to worry about the flying embers.  Other folks were not as lucky and had to evacuate.  

I'm thankful that Horty and I don't have to flee our home and are safe.  I hope that all of you are safe, as well, and have a good weekend! 

Thank you. Glad things are ok and hope they stay that way. Asking myself why I would want to go there. I'll be glad to get on the boat!! 

24 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Very relieved to know you two are OK. Please stay safe, Roz.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:49 PM, rangeley said:

He seems to be doing fine on the new food. 

Really glad to hear that. Soon after Raylene came to me, she started throwing up every day for a month. I was a wreck worrying about it, but the change in food to a veterinarian-prescribed food completely solved the problem overnight. Seemed to be a food ingredient allergy.

She’s had a couple of diarrhea episodes lately - the vet gave me probiotic chews which cleared it up fast. VetriScience Pro Line GI Balance Pro. Available on Amazon, too - not cheap but I’m going to carry a bag in my suitcase for future trips, just in case.

2 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Really glad to hear that. Soon after Raylene came to me, she started throwing up every day for a month. I was a wreck worrying about it, but the change in food to a veterinarian-prescribed food completely solved the problem overnight. Seemed to be a food ingredient allergy.

She’s had a couple of diarrhea episodes lately - the vet gave me probiotic chews which cleared it up fast. VetriScience Pro Line GI Balance Pro. Available on Amazon, too - not cheap but I’m going to carry a bag in my suitcase for future trips, just in case.

So far so good. Although the food is still mixed with the rx food. I mixed it half and half until its gone. Probably a week or two, then just the new stuff. I was thinking of asking the vet for some anti diarrhea pills to take with us. 

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

That's very scary!  Take care and get out earlier rather than later.

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

So far so good. Although the food is still mixed with the rx food. I mixed it half and half until its gone. Probably a week or two, then just the new stuff. I was thinking of asking the vet for some anti diarrhea pills to take with us. 

You can ask our server for some pumpkin from the kitchen, which will help in digestion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plant said:

Can you tell us about your book?  Is it on Amazon?

Thanks!

Yes, and thanks for asking! I guess it’s OK to say that it is called Traveling with Service Animals, by Henry Kisor and Christine Goodier, published by the University of Illinois Press on September 23 this year. Especially great input from Roz and Dianne, along with many other service dog teams around the US & Canada, about all forms of travel. As far as we know, it’s the only guidebook ever written for service dog handlers.

• Like 1