Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi friends, 

Regarding airline travel on the way to the cruise port. I tried Googling, but didn't get very far. Luggage for the dog-- bag filled with food, treats, toys, canine first aid, bedding, etc-- does that count as "baggage?" If I go to Europe for 3 weeks with my dog (and 2 of it on a ship), that's a lot of food!

You will want to contact the airline you are flying on for clarification. Mobility aids and medical supplies (as long as the bag contains nothing but supplies) fly for free on flights involving US airports. 

I would be concerned about importing dog food into another country and whether it would make it through customs.

Flights within Europe may have different regulations.

You do need to supply necessary paperwork at least 48 hours before your flight. One of the forms addresses the animal’s sanitation on a flight of eight hours or more.

The dog (which must be able to perform a task/service and not be only a comfort animal) must fit in the space at the passenger’s feet. A passenger may purchase a second seat for the animal. If you’re traveling with someone else and sitting next to them on the plane, the dog can use the foot areas of both passengers, but must not encroach into the area of any other passenger.

:Safe travels!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, Leaving Friday for Bermuda. A little nervous about the potty box since we haven't cruised since 2020. I hope Oakland remembers what to do. His first cruise was to Bermuda and he didn't go until we got there. By his 3rd cruise he was an expert. Hopefully he's got a good memory!!

Cindy 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

Hi All, Leaving Friday for Bermuda. A little nervous about the potty box since we haven't cruised since 2020. I hope Oakland remembers what to do. His first cruise was to Bermuda and he didn't go until we got there. By his 3rd cruise he was an expert. Hopefully he's got a good memory!!

Cindy 

Have a great time on your cruise! I'm sure Oakland will remember the box and what to do.

I bet Oakland will be a rock star for this trip!

We are heading to Vancouver to sail on Celebrity Millennium to Alaska later this week.  Scooter is staying home.  

His skills have slipped. My fault.  We spent so much time at home, and my recent cancer diagnosis isn't helping.  So, I'm rarely out of the house without a human supporting me.  Scooter does help at home, but doing way less public access.  SO, he is going to be boarded.  He loves it there... it will be fine.  Plus, without Scooter along, we can do an excursion to go see the sled dogs!  We missed that the last time!

17 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

I bet Oakland will be a rock star for this trip!

We are heading to Vancouver to sail on Celebrity Millennium to Alaska later this week.  Scooter is staying home.  

His skills have slipped. My fault.  We spent so much time at home, and my recent cancer diagnosis isn't helping.  So, I'm rarely out of the house without a human supporting me.  Scooter does help at home, but doing way less public access.  SO, he is going to be boarded.  He loves it there... it will be fine.  Plus, without Scooter along, we can do an excursion to go see the sled dogs!  We missed that the last time!

Oakland has also been in the house for a few years. We really haven't gone anywhere except for in the car. I'm praying he does well. 

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I will say some prayers. And have a great time on your cruise!

On 5/22/2022 at 8:32 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

Have a great time on your cruise! I'm sure Oakland will remember the box and what to do.

Thank you for your confidence. I'll try to think positive!

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

Thank you for your confidence. I'll try to think positive!

We had not been on a cruise since November 2019 and rarely left the house for almost two years. We did a Pacific Coastal cruise in October with my Service Dog Henrietta and she was great (once they replaced the postage size relief box). I'm sure Oakland will pick up right where he left off. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading for Alaska out of Vancouver for a 14-day HAL cruise next week. Checking APHIS brought up the info that for dogs and cats Alaska now requires a 7001 with a certificate number OR a state veterinary health certificate with a stamped number. Most U.S. vets use the downloadable form because they don't have a pad of numbered paper certificates, and the downloadable form has no number, so that isn't valid. My vet filled out the 7001 for the ship and the Illinois health certificate for Alaska.

Now we'll see if this is actually being enforced or it's just a bunch of bureaucratic bumf.

Massachusetts now requires a 7001, too, but doesn't specify that it carry a certificate number.

• Like 1

Hi all!  I’m back from our family cruise on Celebrity Millennium with the fam, and have recovered from the trip home.  Long flights!

Scooter was THRILLED to see us when we got home.  We are now working on PA and tasks for him.  My RA is worse, and has settled in my lower back and hips.  If I drop stuff, I can’t bend over much of the time, so Scooter to the rescue!    He is happy to do those tasks around the house,  🙂  Not so happy to do PA at Walmart and be on perfect behavior.  He’d rather be able to get pets from all.  🙂

We are sailing on Reflection for Thanksgiving, but leaving him home.  That lawn on the S-class celebrity ships is just too much for him.  I don’t even plan to get off the ship for that cruise, just enjoy someone else cooking and cleaning, getting some sun and doing nothing.   

We are doing the Panama Canal in December, and while Princess has approved me bringing him, I’m undecided.  I’ll decide a couple of weeks out.  Easy to cancel bringing the dog…. And Princess will be HAPPY NOT to have him.  

Hope you all are well.  

We're scheduled to board HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam next Sunday in Vancouver. Boarding time for my assigned group is 2 p.m. Ship departs at 4 p.m. That doesn't give us a lot of time to find the location of the pee station or talk to the dining room maitre 'd for a suitable table against a wall. On previous voyages out of Fort Lauderdale and Montreal, there were special desks in the departure halls for passengers with special needs. We didn't have to wait long and were whisked aboard quickly. I am thinking about the possibility of just showing up at an earlier time and heading for the special needs desk. Or maybe I should try to find a HAL rep at our hotel the night before and ask. What do youse guys think?

On 6/13/2022 at 8:16 AM, HenryKisor said:

We're scheduled to board HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam next Sunday in Vancouver. Boarding time for my assigned group is 2 p.m. Ship departs at 4 p.m. That doesn't give us a lot of time to find the location of the pee station or talk to the dining room maitre 'd for a suitable table against a wall. On previous voyages out of Fort Lauderdale and Montreal, there were special desks in the departure halls for passengers with special needs. We didn't have to wait long and were whisked aboard quickly. I am thinking about the possibility of just showing up at an earlier time and heading for the special needs desk. Or maybe I should try to find a HAL rep at our hotel the night before and ask. What do youse guys think?

I haven't sailed on HAL and so I don't have any specific information on how they might handle embarkation or if they have separate desks for passengers with special needs in every departure port. I always try to board as early as possible (I would definitely go earlier than my assigned time) so that I have as much time as possible to deal with relief box issues before the ship sails.

Edited by DUTRAVEL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.  Had my in person and final interview with Canine Campions for Independence in Santa Rosa, California (same location Rox got her babies).  That was yesterday.  Now I wait to hear if I was accepted to get a service dog from them.  Then I wait up to 20 months, usually about a year, to get the dog.

Halo is close to retirement.  He is still doing ok.  He was trained when I was more mobile.  I need some different kind of help from a service dog.  Although he is smart and could learn it, it really isn't worth it since he will be retiring so soon.  Probably would have been taught the functions, pulling clothes baskets to help with laundry and assisting with opening doors, if the pandemic hadn't hit and the shattering of the leg.  Which both caused us to stay in the house for 1.5 years.

He did stay with my daughter and her fiance when we went to Jamacia for a week, then to Hawaii for 3 weeks.  He will be retiring with them and it was kind of a test retirement.  He is loving being a dog.  Will stay follow his commands and behaves in public exceptionally well.  But he is sure loving being a "dog" and getting to go to a park without his work vest and just play.  Not a dog park, just a park with his buddy, my daughter's dog.  

Linda and Halo

• Like 1

Linda, I’m so glad you had a good interview with CCI.

I’m glad that Halo has a good retirement plan!  He will be happy to see you when you visit, but will also be happy with your daughter and his pal.  That sounds perfect for all!  

My hubby and I have been discussion our next steps regarding Scooter.  He is currently 6.5, but has developed a couple of medical conditions that will likely shorten his life.  They are medically controlled, he is happy, and still wants to work much of the time.  We are completely uncertain if we will seek a successor dog or not.  I look forward to hearing how things go with your team training and successor dog over the next couple of years.