Freedom VS Mariner

I'm thinking of sailing on either the Freedom or the Mariner - I have 2 kids, 12 and 8 that both loved the pool and sliding board when we were on the Disney Cruise. Can anyone tell me if either of these ships have a pool slide of decent size? Also which ship would you recommend for families with kids?

I will try to answer a bit although we are only scheduled for the Mariner this Dec., but have done the Disney cruise.

No, neither the Freedom or the Mariner have a slide for the pool. The Freedom is larger and has the Flowrider and the H2O zone that the Mariner doesn't have. We were going to do the Freedom when I got to looking at it and realized that I could save a lot going on the Mariner instead of the Freedom, and it would still be a step up in size and activities compared to Disney. (and it sails out of Port Canaveral so we can stay at WDW before we go)

My boys are 9 and 13 and are looking forward to the full size basketball, rock climbing, miniature golf, in-line and ice skating on the Mariner. The pools are larger than Disney. That's about all I can think of at the moment!

Both ships are similar since, ultimately, the Freedom is the Mariner and her sisters on steroids. Both have superb activities for kids.

I loved the Mariner and will try the Freedom class in June 2008.

I honestly think that your children will love either ship, though the Freedom does have the Mariner beat in terms of pools.

But again, both were designed with families in mind.

I'd compare itineraries, the ports of departure, etc., first. You really can't go wrong with either!

Linesman-posters forgot to mention one HUGE difference-the "Air on Ice" video karoke booths..these are sound proof booths where anybody can record a video to a song-kids love it..it's right near Studio B,where the ice-skating shows are(don't miss that!)..and yes,the H20 Fun Zone is amazing for kids and the Flowrider is also great (both not on Mariner)..I have cruised both,both were amazing,but I would choose the Freedom for kids unless the price difference is important.....

Big Al

We looked at both ships for our upcoming trip. We've been on Mariner before, so wanted to try Freedom. But, the price difference between the two was significant. We couldn't see that Freedom offered enough additional amenities to make the higher price worth it. So, it's back to the Mariner for us. Plus, we really like Port Canaveral better than Miami as a port. Since fewer ships leave from Port Canaveral, it's much more sane.

RCCL doesn't really do slides, although I think some of the kiddie areas on some ships have a small one. Frankly, that's one of the things the kids miss when we cruise RCCL. But, for us, other things outweigh the slide, including the fact that we were once treated so badly on a competing line that we swore we'd never return. We're now Diamond with RCCL, so I guess we didn't care that much about the slide!

Freedom's H2O zone is a huge attraction..they have a lazy river,pool,fountains, all the sprays and water fun you could want. No slide though.For the week we cruised on Freedom it was actually cheaper than Mariner. I loved watching the Flow Rider,that was the most popular place on the ship. I loved both ships,but the H2O zone with 8 yr old kid would clinch it for me,although the 12yr old would find it too full of young kids. I bet he would like Flow Rider though.:)

The pools on Freedom are fresh water while Mariner has salt water pools. Me, I prefer the fresh water pools.

That is awesome! I forgot about that. My eyes are thanking me in advance that they won't be burning in pain.

Archived