NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I cannot see my balance due on NCL.com. When I go into my reservations it just shows the date and our names and that we have no flights with them. Where does one see deposits and balances? I will be sending in a BOA cert soon, and I want to keep track of the transactions.

Our final payment is due 12-15.

When I go to "My Cruises," on the top right is the total price for the cruise. Directly under that is the "Payment Schedule," which shows our Final Payment amount and the due date. There are no deposits or credits shown (but if I had a credit balance, that's where it would be).

Hope that helps.

I cannot see my balance due on NCL.com. When I go into my reservations it just shows the date and our names and that we have no flights with them. Where does one see deposits and balances? I will be sending in a BOA cert soon, and I want to keep track of the transactions.

Our final payment is due 12-15.

If you booked through a TA, you may not see anything but system error. :mad:

Can somebody please let me know the pros and cons of using the Norwegian Compass reward certificates thru a Travel Agency? It looks like the majority of people on this board are booking directly with NCL. Is this because of less hassle when using a Compass reward certificate? I have only cruised once and it was with Norwegian. And for that 1st time, I booked with an online TA and saved a bundle compared to if I was to book directly with NCL.

So now that I have amassed 500 points within 1 year for the NCL compass reward, I am questioning myself whether I should book directly with NCL instead of TA. I also want to mention that when I booked with the online TA, I booked it 4 months before the actual cruise date. Most of the best deals are last minute deals that online TA offers. Is that even a possibility anymore with all these deadlines and processing time for these certificates??

I also noticed that people mention they should mail the certificate directly to ACCOUNTING of NCL even if you deal with a TA. But if I book thru a TA, why would I send the certificate to NCL at all? I understand that the TA makes a payment to NCL but shouldn’t the certificate go directly to whoever you are directly paying the balance to? Another reason for sending the certificate directly to TA is because you will not be able to see your balance on the NCL website which means you will not know if you rec’d the credit.

I don’t know, please excuse me if these questions look stupid which is probably because I have only cruised once.

Thank you.

Ben

They really are just like cash. I always use a TA to make the reservation but I mail the certs directly to NCL...as I don't want to to trouble the TA to handle them and send them in. They don't effect the commission the TA gets they are just like cash. Four months is plenty of time for the certs. You pay in full and send them in. Normally from the time you ask for them its less than 2 weeks and 2 weeks to get them to NCL and credited back to you. Hasn't been too much of a hassle yet and 500 dollars is 500 dollars!

They really are just like cash. I always use a TA to make the reservation but I mail the certs directly to NCL...as I don't want to to trouble the TA to handle them and send them in. They don't effect the commission the TA gets they are just like cash. Four months is plenty of time for the certs. You pay in full and send them in. Normally from the time you ask for them its less than 2 weeks and 2 weeks to get them to NCL and credited back to you. Hasn't been too much of a hassle yet and 500 dollars is 500 dollars!

I just completed the cycle for my first use of the Compass Rewards, and your time frames were pretty much on the money.

To start it off, I called the Bank of America number as mentioned on the first post in this thread, and as cautioned, the person who answered was somewhat clueless. So a waited a bit, and called back and got someone who very familiar with the program. In a few minutes, the transaction was completed, and I was pretty confident there would be no problem. The three $500 certificates arrived in about 10 days. Upon receipt, I emailed my TA to let him know I had my certificates, and asked him if he preferred that I send them to NCL or to him. Since the certificates say the rewards must be sent in with your final payment, I confirmed with the TA that it was OK to send just the certificates to NCL, and the actual final payment to him. He told me to let him know when I mailed them, and he would let me know when NCL posted the credit to my account.

I followed the guidelines from this thread, making copies, sending USPS Certified Mail with receipt. It took about 10 days before it was posted, and the only problem I had was I have still not received my confirmation from USPS. I noted in the Post Office that you could get your confirmation via email, so I think I will try that next time. I haven't read recent posts here, but do not recall seeing anyone posting the use of an email confirmation.

The bottom line is that I have made my final payment for our 1/16/2008 cruise on the Gem, and I am very pleased with the whole process. I certainly appreciated all the information I received and used from this board, and hope everyone's transaction is as smooth as mine.

I just completed the cycle for my first use of the Compass Rewards, and your time frames were pretty much on the money.

To start it off, I called the Bank of America number as mentioned on the first post in this thread, and as cautioned, the person who answered was somewhat clueless. So a waited a bit, and called back and got someone who very familiar with the program. In a few minutes, the transaction was completed, and I was pretty confident there would be no problem. The three $500 certificates arrived in about 10 days. Upon receipt, I emailed my TA to let him know I had my certificates, and asked him if he preferred that I send them to NCL or to him. Since the certificates say the rewards must be sent in with your final payment, I confirmed with the TA that it was OK to send just the certificates to NCL, and the actual final payment to him. He told me to let him know when I mailed them, and he would let me know when NCL posted the credit to my account.

I followed the guidelines from this thread, making copies, sending USPS Certified Mail with receipt. It took about 10 days before it was posted, and the only problem I had was I have still not received my confirmation from USPS. I noted in the Post Office that you could get your confirmation via email, so I think I will try that next time. I haven't read recent posts here, but do not recall seeing anyone posting the use of an email confirmation.

The bottom line is that I have made my final payment for our 1/16/2008 cruise on the Gem, and I am very pleased with the whole process. I certainly appreciated all the information I received and used from this board, and hope everyone's transaction is as smooth as mine.

I use the email(USPS) confirmation but I didn't think it was available for certified mail....

I will be cruising in 3 weeks and we just booked the cruise. I have almost 900 points but it is pointless to use any points since I booked so late. Here is my question: I almost always book within 2 months of sailing or less so final payment is always due for me at booking. How can I use certificates then? I very rarely book 90 days out. Can I just request certificates, hold on to them, then send in once I book? Final payment is always due when I book though since I am a last minute cruiser. Hope I havent wasted the last 1.5 years accumulating almost a thousand points for nothing!

I know that points expire within 3 years. But if I acquire points until, let's say, 2 years 10 months and then request certificates, do I still have a year in which to actually use the certificate or does it expire when my original points started to earn? If I have a year to use them, then essentially you have 3 years to earn points, get certificates, then another year to sail. Is this correct? Thanks! I don't want to waste my hard earned points!

I know that points expire within 3 years. But if I acquire points until, let's say, 2 years 10 months and then request certificates, do I still have a year in which to actually use the certificate or does it expire when my original points started to earn? If I have a year to use them, then essentially you have 3 years to earn points, get certificates, then another year to sail. Is this correct? Thanks! I don't want to waste my hard earned points!

Its my understanding that once you get a cert it is good for a year no matter how much time you had left on using the points....

I will be cruising in 3 weeks and we just booked the cruise. I have almost 900 points but it is pointless to use any points since I booked so late. Here is my question: I almost always book within 2 months of sailing or less so final payment is always due for me at booking. How can I use certificates then? I very rarely book 90 days out. Can I just request certificates, hold on to them, then send in once I book? Final payment is always due when I book though since I am a last minute cruiser. Hope I havent wasted the last 1.5 years accumulating almost a thousand points for nothing!

You have enough time with two months to get a cert and send them in and they will credit back your credit card. It takes 2 weeks or less to get the certs and 2 weeks or less to get them credited by NCL after they get them.

This is what they did last February. the new certs says "not to be used for down payment" in the past any overage even if it was the down payment was returned. I just sent in 4 certs myself which will require returning about $500 in down payment so I'll tell you real soon if this is a problem....

I now can report that most of the deposit has been credited back to my credit card(although it was the wrong credit card- it was the one my wife was the primary on and I had charged the trip on the one I am the primary- I don't think I will start that issue as I was near the limit on the first credit card for the year anyway) It took two weeks to get the credit to the credit card...

Hi,

Can someone tell me what the envelope looks like that the NCL certificate comes in?

I get so much junk mail. I don't want to throw it out by accident.

Does it come directly from Bank of America?

Thanks,

You better start checking your junk mail, looks just like it. :eek: From what I remember, simple envelope, no BOA designation. Almost thru them away, but curiosity got the better of me (and I'm glad, LOL).

Has anyone had experience with redeeming certificates after the final payment? We redeemed $1000 in certificates, but will have accumulated another $500 before sailing. The cruise is in mid February, and we would have the certificate in early January. If we redeem and send the certificate in prior to sailing, would we get a credit on our card, or should we just use those points another time?

Thanks for the info.

New to NCL & planning a cruise with them for next year. I am thinking about getting this NCL MC, sounds like a great idea after reading this thread:) I have one question that I did not see addressed: do you earn points on balance transfers? I know it's not good economics to carry any balance on a credit card, however I do have one:eek: and may want to transfer the balance from my Visa card if I could earn points!

Thanks in advance!

I ordered 3 certificates from BoA and received them in six days. On Monday I sent them from Connecticut, Certified Priority Mail, and they received them yesterday, Wednesday. I just checked now, Thursday, and they have already been credited. That's about a week and a half from calling BoA to seeing them on my NCL account. Wow!:)

very impressed with overnight air to my house. I have already registered 6 bills to be paid monthly with the card. It states you get 3 points per $100, so if my math is still good that is 3% of purchases awarded & NCL purchases like deposit I pay Monday get 4%.

We get AFT staterooms well in advance so it is cheap. These are BA. So I cannot get an upgrade to a suite from what I understand. SO what else can I use the points for. OBC's??? We did that with RCCL & Princess. If so how much for how much 50 = $50, so 100 = $100????

Thanks for helping a newbie to NCL, I fell in love with the ships we saw following us in Alaska & NW Pacific, even got a tour from a Captain who we were chatting with. He even got us Latitude #'s for our 2 cruises in 2008. Not sure what this will get us, so clue us in. I am very excited with no formal nights, so we carry one less piece of luggage. I hear from others that we do not have to dine in a dining room, that restaurants at no charge are plentiful, but don't know which ones.

So April we do Bermuda for a week and I hear this is the cruiseline to do it with.

very impressed with overnight air to my house. I have already registered 6 bills to be paid monthly with the card. It states you get 3 points per $100, so if my math is still good that is 3% of purchases awarded & NCL purchases like deposit I pay Monday get 4%.

We get AFT staterooms well in advance so it is cheap. These are BA. So I cannot get an upgrade to a suite from what I understand. SO what else can I use the points for. OBC's??? We did that with RCCL & Princess. If so how much for how much 50 = $50, so 100 = $100????

Thanks for helping a newbie to NCL, I fell in love with the ships we saw following us in Alaska & NW Pacific, even got a tour from a Captain who we were chatting with. He even got us Latitude #'s for our 2 cruises in 2008. Not sure what this will get us, so clue us in. I am very excited with no formal nights, so we carry one less piece of luggage. I hear from others that we do not have to dine in a dining room, that restaurants at no charge are plentiful, but don't know which ones.

So April we do Bermuda for a week and I hear this is the cruiseline to do it with.

MACOP, for points in increments less than 500, they can only be used for upgrades, not OBC. From reading the boards, most people try to save until they reach $500 which can be applied like cash to the cost of the cruise.

This thread is a sticky for MasterCard, so I am concerned that you will not get much response to your questions. Post on the main boards and many will be happy to help you.:)

You were much more efficent than B of A clerks in info. So we get 500 points & that is $500 off our cruise??? PERFECT! This is a perfect way to use the points............. and I again thank you for the info.

MACOP, for points in increments less than 500, they can only be used for upgrades, not OBC. From reading the boards, most people try to save until they reach $500 which can be applied like cash to the cost of the cruise.

This thread is a sticky for MasterCard, so I am concerned that you will not get much response to your questions. Post on the main boards and many will be happy to help you.:)

I ordered 3 certificates from BoA and received them in six days. On Monday I sent them from Connecticut, Certified Priority Mail, and they received them yesterday, Wednesday. I just checked now, Thursday, and they have already been credited. That's about a week and a half from calling BoA to seeing them on my NCL account. Wow!:)

not to kick a dead horse but certified Priority is over kill. If you send them priority print the label out at home, you get proof of delivery for free. Certified doesn't get any special handling just a signature. Proof of delivery on the internet is the same thing(proof of mailing and proof or receipt)...I sent mine just certified regular first class mail. Its the same two days for first class mail as it is for priority mail....

We recently had a negative experience with NCL reservations and customer service regarding redemption of NCL mastercard points and felt obligated to advise card members of the ridiculous position NCL is taken. NCL has taken the position that individuals cannot combine the compass rewards certificates with other promotions.

Rather than honor the plain language of what is available once upgrade certificates for points have been submitted, NCL has now taken the absurd position of informing us to save points and once 500 points are accumulated we will receive $500 Discount Certificate, which will be applied as a $500 on a future cruise when mailed with a deposit.

That assumption is based upon the belief anyone would want to take the chance that NCL will honor a commitment in the future, while at the same time it refuses to honor a commitment already made. Why would anyone want to do any business with a company which misleads consumers as to what is available under the plain language of the contractual terms?

According to the NCL website located at https://wwwn.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/display?pageid=disclosure

Upgrade and discount rewards may be used for any eligible NCL, Orient, or Star Cruise arrangements (accommodations subject to availability), and may be combined with other promotions

Despite numerous phone calls NCL has failed to explain or support its position. As of today's date, NCL’s position is not only unsupported, but also inconsistent with what was represented by NCL representatives in the past orally and in writing.

Therefore, consumers should be aware of what NCL promises, but fails to deliver.