NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

You sound like a lawyer in that post. How about giving us a detailed explaination step by step of what happened and what you think NCL did or did not do. I can't tell from your post if you are saying that they won't give you upgrade certificates for your points, if they won't let you combine upgrade certificates and the $500 certificates, or if there was some other promotion going on that they won't let you combing something with. How about a clear step by step explanation of what happened.

Keith

We recently had a negative experience with NCL reservations and customer service regarding redemption of NCL mastercard points and felt obligated to advise card members of the ridiculous position NCL is taken. NCL has taken the position that individuals cannot combine the compass rewards certificates with other promotions.

Rather than honor the plain language of what is available once upgrade certificates for points have been submitted, NCL has now taken the absurd position of informing us to save points and once 500 points are accumulated we will receive $500 Discount Certificate, which will be applied as a $500 on a future cruise when mailed with a deposit.

That assumption is based upon the belief anyone would want to take the chance that NCL will honor a commitment in the future, while at the same time it refuses to honor a commitment already made. Why would anyone want to do any business with a company which misleads consumers as to what is available under the plain language of the contractual terms?

According to the NCL website located at https://wwwn.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/display?pageid=disclosure

Upgrade and discount rewards may be used for any eligible NCL, Orient, or Star Cruise arrangements (accommodations subject to availability), and may be combined with other promotions

Despite numerous phone calls NCL has failed to explain or support its position. As of today's date, NCL’s position is not only unsupported, but also inconsistent with what was represented by NCL representatives in the past orally and in writing.

Therefore, consumers should be aware of what NCL promises, but fails to deliver.

I find that the CSR's are not very knowledgeable about this. What I do and it works very well is to make the best deal I can with my reservation using whatever non bank of america coupons upgrades that I have. Since you can't use them for the deposit(but see more later)..... after you make your deal you get the $500 certs(as many as you are entitled to) and send them in. The will credit them to you account(including reimbursing the deposit if you have enough) what they don't allow you to do is use Bof A certs for an upgrade and a cash off. They did run a special were they did give an upgrade with every dollar certs. but not now...is this what they told you or is something different?

I sat down to read the little folder that came with the card. The credits for cruises are in $500 increments. $500, $1000, $1500, $2000, $2500, $3000. Plus you can only get 250 points per month & 1000 total points in a year. I asked NCL about the cut off in points. They stated that people who have companies use their card for business purchases thus overusing the perks. So they use a ceiling to it. So our AMEX will get some Blue rewards for the months we put NCL MC in the safe til we can use it again. I have $1400 in Deposits for the 2 cruises so we got 56 points. Sure better than B of A RCCL Visa cards that are 1% giving you 14 points. I closed that after fradulent upgrades I was getting monthly from them. Sure like NCL better.

The upgrades are inside to a better inside, or oceanview to a better oceanview but no suites from a BA stateroom. But that's OK with us.

NICE JOB NCL!

very impressed with overnight air to my house. I have already registered 6 bills to be paid monthly with the card. It states you get 3 points per $100, so if my math is still good that is 3% of purchases awarded & NCL purchases like deposit I pay Monday get 4%.

We get AFT staterooms well in advance so it is cheap. These are BA. So I cannot get an upgrade to a suite from what I understand. SO what else can I use the points for. OBC's??? We did that with RCCL & Princess. If so how much for how much 50 = $50, so 100 = $100????

Thanks for helping a newbie to NCL, I fell in love with the ships we saw following us in Alaska & NW Pacific, even got a tour from a Captain who we were chatting with. He even got us Latitude #'s for our 2 cruises in 2008. Not sure what this will get us, so clue us in. I am very excited with no formal nights, so we carry one less piece of luggage. I hear from others that we do not have to dine in a dining room, that restaurants at no charge are plentiful, but don't know which ones.

So April we do Bermuda for a week and I hear this is the cruiseline to do it with.

not to kick a dead horse but certified Priority is over kill. If you send them priority print the label out at home, you get proof of delivery for free. Certified doesn't get any special handling just a signature. Proof of delivery on the internet is the same thing(proof of mailing and proof or receipt)...I sent mine just certified regular first class mail. Its the same two days for first class mail as it is for priority mail....

My bad, I did not send certified, just delivery confirmation. Free if you print your own label on line, 65 cents extra at the post office. Priority or first class, whichever.:rolleyes:

Really, I just wanted to share how happy I was with the service, receiving the certificates in less than a week, and having NCL post in one day.!:)

I sat down to read the little folder that came with the card. The credits for cruises are in $500 increments. $500, $1000, $1500, $2000, $2500, $3000. Plus you can only get 250 points per month & 1000 total points in a year. I asked NCL about the cut off in points. They stated that people who have companies use their card for business purchases thus overusing the perks. So they use a ceiling to it. So our AMEX will get some Blue rewards for the months we put NCL MC in the safe til we can use it again. I have $1400 in Deposits for the 2 cruises so we got 56 points. Sure better than B of A RCCL Visa cards that are 1% giving you 14 points. I closed that after fradulent upgrades I was getting monthly from them. Sure like NCL better.

The upgrades are inside to a better inside, or oceanview to a better oceanview but no suites from a BA stateroom. But that's OK with us.

NICE JOB NCL!

MACOP, many people get more that one card so they can keep accumulating points when limits are reached. Some keep spreadsheets to make sure they manage the points carefully. I have 3!:)

Has anyone had experience with redeeming certificates after the final payment? We redeemed $1000 in certificates, but will have accumulated another $500 before sailing. The cruise is in mid February, and we would have the certificate in early January. If we redeem and send the certificate in prior to sailing, would we get a credit on our card, or should we just use those points another time?

Thanks for the info.

For my April cruise I booked late, after final payment, and paid the balance immediately. Then I sent in the certificates and they credited my charge account. I will probably be trying that again for my next cruise, also in mid February, as I expect to get another certificate before sailing but after final payment.

MACOP, many people get more that one card so they can keep accumulating points when limits are reached. Some keep spreadsheets to make sure they manage the points carefully. I have 3!:)

each family member has to get their own account not just an added card. We have two....actually three with Bof A but the third card is for comfort hotels(boy do free days mount up fast)....I hope you don't mind the correction but additional cards for the same account still have the 1000 point limit per year per account.

each family member has to get their own account not just an added card. We have two....actually three with Bof A but the third card is for comfort hotels(boy do free days mount up fast)....I hope you don't mind the correction but additional cards for the same account still have the 1000 point limit per year per account.

You're right, I wasn't clear. You need multiple accounts, not just additional cards on the same account. Thanks for clarifying smeyer!:)

is my pal. I check balances daily on every account including stocks. Then for points I have an area for those that it alerts me to reaching the ceiling. Then we put the card in the safe til day 1 of next year & use AMEX Blue for the rest of the year.

We pay all cards off every month and I enjoy not being robbed as my purse is locked in the trunk & I carry my CC & license since our cards say SEE ID in the signature area. This way if lost, no one can use it if they are not me.

I appologize as this may be a stuptid question. I just got my first NCL credit card statement. On my statement I can find compass points, are the the points that I need to keep track of? I don't see any other kind of points but as I have been reading this thread, I have not seen or I have missed the words compass points.

are the wonderful points from purchases (3% for regular & 4% for NCL) and you can upgrade with from inside to best inside & oceanview to best oceanview; but no suites) We take the credits starting at $500, $1000, $1500, $2000, $2500, $3000.

ENJOY!

As for Latitiudes, which is rewards by number of cruises. Visit http://www.ncl.com for info on that.

I appologize as this may be a stuptid question. I just got my first NCL credit card statement. On my statement I can find compass points' date=' are the the points that I need to keep track of? I don't see any other kind of points but as I have been reading this thread, I have not seen or I have missed the words compass points.[/quote']

Just to give an idea on the current timeline for receiving these certificates, I got my recent request in about 1 week.

I requested 3 certificates on Thursday November 1st, and received them 8 days later on Friday November 9th.

For those doubting this program, it is FANTASTIC!

My wife and I have now redeemed $7,000 in certificates on 4 cruises over the past 3 years. :D

Just a thought, could an agent overcharge for a cruise and give "free" cabin credit or whatever and have the certificates cover it? I don't think our next cruise will have money left over but I wondered if this could be done. I know some agencies have fees and some don't. I would think that if the agent was familiar with the program and willing to try, it would work. Anyone?

I'm looking to book a last minute cruise and use my certificates but final payment will be due when we book. I'm sure the agent will want my credit card to book it right? Or how would it work? If I have to use my credit card to hold it anyway, I might want to book now since I'm still waiting for my certificates to arrive . Suggestions? I know some have gotten refunds when using certificates but I'm a little concerned about breaking one of the "rules" on the certificates.

Just a thought, could an agent overcharge for a cruise and give "free" cabin credit or whatever and have the certificates cover it? I don't think our next cruise will have money left over but I wondered if this could be done. I know some agencies have fees and some don't. I would think that if the agent was familiar with the program and willing to try, it would work. Anyone?

Probably not the only amount due NCL is all they will accept and an overcharge will not be accepted or be refunded but it wouldn't be able to be used with a cert. Also I have booked a cruise late paid it in full and sent the certs in and got a credit back to my cc....not a problem...

The NCL MasterCard is the only credit card we use. It's by far the best cruise credit card out there and we recommend it to all our friends. We even use it for our on board charges when we cruise on other cruise lines. We've gotten some strange comments and stares but that's tough. :D

RCCL VISA is only 1%. I had the troubles with their upgrading me to a RCCL Signature Visa once in January & Again in June. I reported it to B of A & also RCCL. This practice is quite illegal when there is no such product. Even my ATTY GEN'L got the message. Then I get a phonecall from RCCL telling me not to diss their credit card which had no warranty, which I learned when I used it to buy a clothes dryer when the store didn't take AMEX. They are a joke!

Then after the crappy cruises of late, I just closed both RCCL & celebrity VISAs & got NCL MC and boy do the points add up fast! Love the major credit on cruises too! And they have warranty, car rental insurance coverage & other stuff. They overnighted my card to me too.

The NCL MasterCard is the only credit card we use. It's by far the best cruise credit card out there and we recommend it to all our friends. We even use it for our on board charges when we cruise on other cruise lines. We've gotten some strange comments and stares but that's tough. :D

b

I plan on using $3,000 in reward certificates on our upcoming cruise that will cost about $3500 for the stateroom. I will be purchasing travel insurance from a 3rd party company (not NCL). I would like to insure the cruise cost of $3500 and was wondering if there would be any problem collecting on this if we had to cancel for covered reasons, since we used our rewards certificate to pay.

Has anyone had any knowledge or experience with this or your thoughts.

Thanks.

I plan on using $3,000 in reward certificates on our upcoming cruise that will cost about $3500 for the stateroom. I will be purchasing travel insurance from a 3rd party company (not NCL). I would like to insure the cruise cost of $3500 and was wondering if there would be any problem collecting on this if we had to cancel for covered reasons, since we used our rewards certificate to pay.

Has anyone had any knowledge or experience with this or your thoughts.

Thanks.

I cannot answer that question based on personal experience, but I was told that yes, it is based on the value of the cruise. I asked that very same question somewhere else as I have the same issue for an upcoming cruise.

Per Mastercard International per a phonecall to them. I stated I have had my NCL Mastercard thru B of A for a month. They tell me that B of A doesn't by the extended warranty that goes up to 5 years. They just have 90 days against robbery or damage & police reports needed for them.

So AMEX gets charges for all items with warranties to get the extra year to twice the warranty if under a year.

So restaurants, grocery stores, NCL and other lame charges even gas since discover has a cap on the gas reward of 5% to $100 a month. So MCL MC gets the rest.

I bought $200 Sonicare toothbrush & charged it to NCL MC & then I learn no extended warranty. But B of A agents tell me I get another year warranty - NOPE!

NCL MC has no extended warranty. AMEX is it for that. So if you are purchasing items that you want the additional year warranty, go AMEX since MC doesn't have it with B of A.

But when I got he NCL MC last month I was told I get an additonal year warranty on purchases & NOPE!

HUH????? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Monday 11/26/07- Requested certificate from BOA (had to call twice to find someone familiar with compass rewards)

Monday 12/10/07-Received cert.(filled out cert. and made copies)

Tuesday 12/11/07-Mailed cert. to NCL Corporate Center Drive, Miami, FL Attn: Accounting Dept.(certified with return receipt $5.21)

Friday 12/14/07- Cert. received at NCL (checked online via tracking #)

Thursday 12/20/07- $500 credited to balance (per TA)

Friday 12/21/07- Final payment due

This was my first experience with Compass Rewards!!!!:D

Just to give an idea on the current timeline for receiving these certificates, I got my recent request in about 1 week.

I requested 3 certificates on Thursday November 1st, and received them 8 days later on Friday November 9th.

For those doubting this program, it is FANTASTIC!

My wife and I have now redeemed $7,000 in certificates on 4 cruises over the past 3 years. :D

What great service - I requested my certificate last Sat. night, 12/15 and received it in the mail today, 12/21!! I agree it is a great program and the points add up fast.