NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

What happens if for some reason you have to cancel cruise after you have used the cert to pay part of the fare?

Will the insurance company reimburse you or is the cert cancelled in some way and credited back to your CC. Or are you out of luck altogether?

When this happened to us due to Katrina and Rita, we were allowed to reschedule the cruise at a later date.

If you have insurance you should be reimbursed assuming your reason for cancelling is within the scope of your coverage. Whether you paid with cash or certificates is irrelevant to the insurance company. You should receive a check for your covered amount but the certificates will not be credited or points restored. Once a certificate is issued those points are gone

Hope it works out for you. Let us know.

Magnolia

My cruise costs $1700.

I paid a $350 deposit.

I have sent in $1000 in certificates.

I have a remaining balance of $350.

Can I add shore excursions or on-board credit in the amount of $150 (or $650 or $1150 for that matter) and use certificates to pay that off ($500, $1000, or $1500, respectively)?

Thanks!

My cruise costs $1700.

I paid a $350 deposit.

Can I add shore excursions or on-board credit in the amount of $150 (or $650 or $1150 for that matter) and use certificates to pay that off ($500, $1000, or $1500, respectively)?

Thanks!

No, the certs can't be used for excursions or on-board credit.

My cruise costs $1700.

I paid a $350 deposit.

Thanks!

but if you send in another cert for a total of 3 they will credit back the all but $200 of your deposit....

What if you use a certificate towards final payment and then the cruise line cancels your cruise due to problems with the ship? We are booked on the NCL Spirit and I've been reading of problems. We have never used a certificate before. Our final payment is due early Feb.

What if you use a certificate towards final payment and then the cruise line cancels your cruise due to problems with the ship? We are booked on the NCL Spirit and I've been reading of problems. We have never used a certificate before. Our final payment is due early Feb.

They send the cert back....

I'm in the same boat (pun intended:) ) I'm sitting here right now trying to decide if I should order my certificate now or just save it for another day:confused:

I ordered mine. I'm trying to stay positive that this cruise will happen. If for some reason it doesn't then I will look into other cruises (I saw one out of CA and the airfare wasn't horrible) or we may possible go in May, althought the kids will miss school then. I didn't want to wait too long to send for it. This is my 1st time useing a certificate so I wasn't sure how long it takes to get then send out before final payment is due.

So, here's my story. We booked our cruise at the end of December. I immediately called and ordered my 1500. in certs. I've been attacking the mailman every day, waiting for those certs!! Final payment is due Jan. 15, and I didn't want to pay for the whole cruise and then wait for NCL to credit me back.

Finally, today, (Jan.14) my certificates arrived.:) My TA called NCL, and they suggested I overnight them to the previously mentioned address, but to a different department than I've seen mentioned. So, for what it's worth, this is where they end up, according to NCL. (today)

Norwegian Cruise Line

Attn: Payment Applications Department

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami FL 33126

I sent them UPS, so I'll get a signature, made copies of everything, and included our itinerary. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if everything works out!

Ok, I ordered $2,000 and the certificates arrived today. I'm filling the back out now to mail them off tomorrow.......I have the reservation #, ship, sail date, etc. When it says agency and agency tel. #, I'm assuming that means who I booked with, right? I booked directly with NCL so I guess I just write that, right? What about the phone #? Or, should I leave blank. Just want to make sure to get it right as we worked our tushes off to earn these points and don't want to mess up. Thanks.

So, on the 15th, Payment Applications had my certificates by 10:30am. However my TA had no record of a "payment", and still wanted $1500 from me.

My TA spent about an hour bouncing around different departments at NCL; finally she called me back to reassure me NCL had my certificates, they weren't going to cancel my cruise.

NCL updates payments at the end of the week, all is good. Yeah!!:D

Thanks to everyone who posted so many great tips. I had to overnight, so I would have gotten a signature, but the tip about printing out your itinerary and attaching it was something I wouldn't have thought of. Also, copying front and back of every cert.

Given how many different departments my TA talked to, I would strongly recommend sending your certs fedex, ups, or certified return receipt, so you know the name of the person who actually signed for them.

Thanks for this thread!!

But if they send the certificate back to you, does that mean you have to book another cruise within a year or do you have to sail within a year??

NCL can either hold the certificates or mail them back, but you must sail by the expiration date on the certificate. I just had that experience, where I had NCL mail me the certificates, but I had to sail by March, so we booked 2/6 on the Gem and since we booked late, I FED EXed the certificated back to NCL. Had I let them hold the certificates, they would have been immediately credited my account for the payment.

First timer. :-) My question is...

I'm planning on a New England cruise in Sept 08. I will be purchasing the cruise with Travelocity. Right now I have 2050 in points. So do you call NCL and get the certs. sent to you first or book the cruise? I really don't need to book it for a few more months. Do I also tell Travelocity that I have these NCL certs?

I'm still confused with the process. I just want to do it in the right order so I don't lose my points.

Thanks

Michelle

Book your cruise first. Your certificates only take 1 - 3 weeks to arrive at your home. Order the certificates 4 to 6 weeks before your final payment is due. Once you have the certificates they are only good for 1 year and if you change your mind about the cruise you won't have any problem.

Enjoy!

Jeanne

I sent a quote request to the site that gives competitive quotes. Spoke with two different TA's who told me the quote they gave me (much better than NCL direct quote) did not apply if I was going to use the Reward Certificates. They said they would have to give me a new quote (ie higher) after I told them how much I would be applying.

The email I got from one had this disclaimer:

Please note coupons or future cruise credits (except for NCL Compass Reward Certificates) can not be combined with your quoted price & a new quote will be given to you verbally.

To me that reads, NCL Compass Reward certificates are exempt and can be applied to the quoted price, ie no new quote needed. I told the TA but they said no, didn't work that way.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks!

I sent a quote request to the site that gives competitive quotes. Spoke with two different TA's who told me the quote they gave me (much better than NCL direct quote) did not apply if I was going to use the Reward Certificates. They said they would have to give me a new quote (ie higher) after I told them how much I would be applying.

The email I got from one had this disclaimer:

Please note coupons or future cruise credits (except for NCL Compass Reward Certificates) can not be combined with your quoted price & a new quote will be given to you verbally.

To me that reads, NCL Compass Reward certificates are exempt and can be applied to the quoted price, ie no new quote needed. I told the TA but they said no, didn't work that way.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks!

As the Compass Rewards Certificates are essentially CASH, this company is screwing with you. Drop them like a bad habit.