Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miss Jolly

Honest opinions please re complimentary half day Hong Kong Tour

We are booked on a complimentary half day Hong Kong tour. However, due to changes in timing of arrival and departure flights, we are now only able to do this on our only full day in Hong Kong. Thus, if we chose to take a full day tour in to China, it would not be possible to do both. I would like to know if this tour is thought to be worthwhile or a timewaster and better to cover the sights independently.:rolleyes: We are to be picked up at our hotel around 8:00am and return around 2:00pm. I will cut and paste the decription of the tour so that you know what is covered.

Hong Kong Island Tour

boards.cruisecritic.comboards.cruisecritic.com

RATE INCLUDES

Inclusions: Peak Tram ride. Exclusions: The Sampan ride is not included in

the tour cost, this will be offered to you on an optional basis.

ITINERARY

Date Band: 01 Apr 2007-31 Mar 2008

Day1: From HONG KONG To HONG KONG An excellent

orientation tour, the City changes so rapidly that

it will refresh old memories and delight first timers. Start

with a ride up to Victoria Peak for a panoramic view of Hong

Kong Island, Kowloon and the surrounding islands. Then pass by picturesque

Repulse Bay. Proceed next to the famous fishing

village of Aberdeen to see the floating community, still very

much a part of Hong Kong's society. Here an opportunity to join

a Sampan is available, allowing a close up view of waterborne

life. Visit Stanley Market where you can pick up bargains

at just a fraction of the price in town. Afterwards, a short

visit to a prestigious jewellery factory, where meticulous

craftsmen fashion works of art from gold and gems. Return to

your hotel or pick up point in the early afternoon. PLEASE

I look forward to your replies.

Jennie

I did this tour last year and was happy with it overall although I thought it was a bit rushed for Stanley Markets especially if that is one of the main reasons you are going. If you dont take the optional san pan there is not much to see at that stop that I could see. Its well worth the extra cost (cant remember how much it was now but it couldnt have been too much or I would remember) and I enjoyed the experience seeing how others live on the river. Victoria Peak and the ride up on the tram is fabulous and a little bit scarey. If you are scared of heights face up the mountain on the tram and I sat on the left which was the mountain side. The view from the top is just awesome. Ask for the price of pictures taken at the peak before you order. You only pass by Repulse Bay on your way to or from Stanley Markets but its a very scenic drive. They took us also to the jewellery shop which I wasnt interested in and would have rather spent that extra time at the markets. I suppose they get extra money that way if we buy items there or they are paid to stop there by the shop. The trip was the same but the the order is different. I hope this helps you make up your mind.

There is so much to see in Hong Kong I am wondering why you are going to spend a full day in China, unless of course you are being taken to Shanghai or Beijing.

You will not be seeing the true China at that is far way from Hong Kong. Instead you will be visiting the industrial part of China (Guangzhou(Canton)close to Hong Kong and all you will see are lots of cars and factories. We did this trip out of Hong Kong way back in 1989, and even then it was a huge disappointment as I expected to see what I thought China was all about, people riding bicycles and no cars and living in a completely different way to H.K.

It was a long day, we first went by ship and returned by train and spent the rest of the time in a bus. I would instead opt to visit one of the islands of Hong Kong eg. Lantau where the big Buddha is or even a trip to Macau for the day would be more interesting.

We love Hong Kong and have been there many times and have never run out of things to do.

Jennie

I agree with both the previous posters. First of all, the complimentary tour sounds fine and includes the basic sights which I think you'd like to see. One thing to remember, as stated before, is that the sights listed are not close together, so if you wanted to cover the exact same things on your own, you'd have to arrange your own transportation. I loved the sampan boat ride and I too think you definitly need to do it. The trip to the obligatory store is on all group excursions...even if you do a private tour (which is what we did). They want to take you to at least one store, no matter what you do!! Hong Kong is a fabulous city with tons of things to see, great restaurants, and wonderful shopping, so I agree with Aussie Gal.....why try to go somewhere else. We have been to Hong Kong twice, each time for a week, and we still could have spent more time there!! If you want to get outside the city, go to one of the outer islands like Lantau, which is actually quite close by, but which has an entirely different feel than the city. No matter what you choose to do, you're in for a real treat!

I don't know what you are paying for this tour, but remember that it is Hong Kong - where many still speak very good English.

When I lived in Hong Kong, we took the subway, ferry, or taxi, (all rather inexpensive) and a short walk to the tram station to take an inexpensive tramway ride to the Peak. We usually stayed up there for a time for coffee or lunch at the Peak Cafe.

Then we took the tram back down to central and caught the number 6A bus (double decker) to Aberdeen / Stanley The fare was about one US dollar. It is a great ride. We stayed in Aberdeen/ Stanley as long as needed and then paid another dollar or so to go back downtown.

As others have mentioned, the so-called day trip to visit China is a waste of time.

It's much more fun to go to Macau or one of the other outlying islands.