If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

We have a reservation with Patrick Watts for a tour to Volunteer Point on Feb. 1st. I'm anxious to see Penguins but my husband wants to see Battlefield sites. Can you tell us about the 2 hour drive and will he be satisfied with seeing some Battlefield sites along the way?

1st 45-minutes to 1 hour was along gravel road. last 1+ was over VERY rough terrain. No road, not even any path. Each driver picked what they thought was the best route. Could be tough if you have a bad back etc. Volunteer point and the penguins is spectacular and well worth the trip. I'll send you some photos to help make a decision.

Doug

We drove by many fields of landmines and a crashed helicopter, site of the last soldier killed in the war was pointed out. Driver didn't really go ito the battle details but bet he would have if asked specifically. His name was Val, he was the former ambulance driver for the local hospital. Not the fastest driver but the smartest. We always seemed to arrive first everywhere despite lots of other vehicles passsing us. He knew when to slow down to let others hold open the gates and how to get thru the bad spots easily. Told lost of interesting info along the way, great guide. Really a great tour.

We're scheduled for a tour with Patrick in mid February. I made these reservations a year ago, and the price quoted was $185, with the proviso that prices might change, which is reasonable to expect. As I write this, I haven't been notified as yet of any price change.

Mary

Is there any particular private tour company you would recommend or is taking a taxi simple enough? Is there any language barrier to consider? We are thinking of doing something other than the NCL sponsored excursions if possible. Thanks for any tips you can provide.

;)

Is there any particular private tour company you would recommend or is taking a taxi simple enough? Is there any language barrier to consider? We are thinking of doing something other than the NCL sponsored excursions if possible. Thanks for any tips you can provide.

;)

we looked into going with patrick, but ncl isn't in stanley long enough. we booked the following tour through ncl. nicely, i just read today that it has won an international award for the best shore excursion... makes me feel better about paying the high ncl price!

BLUFF COVE LAGOON TOUR wins at the SEATRADE INSIDER AWARDS 2009

Presented at Seatrade Europe in Hamburg this month, Bluff Cove Lagoon Tour has won the Seatrade Insider Cruise Award for the best shore excursion: “Innovative Shorex of the Year 2009”. The award is one of six categories that reward excellence across the international cruise sector. Bluff Cove Lagoon Tour received the award in recognition of its notable contribution to the cruise industry over the past 12 months.

Read the full press release

we looked into going with patrick, but ncl isn't in stanley long enough. we booked the following tour through ncl. nicely, i just read today that it has won an international award for the best shore excursion... makes me feel better about paying the high ncl price!

BLUFF COVE LAGOON TOUR wins at the SEATRADE INSIDER AWARDS 2009

Presented at Seatrade Europe in Hamburg this month, Bluff Cove Lagoon Tour has won the Seatrade Insider Cruise Award for the best shore excursion: “Innovative Shorex of the Year 2009”. The award is one of six categories that reward excellence across the international cruise sector. Bluff Cove Lagoon Tour received the award in recognition of its notable contribution to the cruise industry over the past 12 months.

Read the full press release

Thanks for this information. It is very helpful.

Dear Kruz folks,

Most of the information about Port Stanley and the Penguins I've collected from the Cruise Critic members' comments. I'm sure you will enjoy Bluff Cove for a shorter excursion. I know the cruise excursions are quite pricey. Enjoy.

Merrily

Dear Kruz folks,

Most of the information about Port Stanley and the Penguins I've collected from the Cruise Critic members' comments. I'm sure you will enjoy Bluff Cove for a shorter excursion. I know the cruise excursions are quite pricey. Enjoy.

Merrily

I appreciate the info. Thanks.

North Pond, someone asked about this I have managed to get some details for you. This is an all day trip which includes lunch, which is provided. They will take you overland by camp road (gravel track) and overland by 4x4 to breeding colonies of magellanic and gentoo penguins. Last year there was also King penguin around though seeing one this year is not guaranteed plenty of other wildlife to see on the way. Because of the location of North pond they can take you back to Stanley via goose green and san Carlos which were areas of major activity during the 82 conflict, however only if time permits.

Beer, a subject close to my heart :-), Unfortunately there is no draught beer here in the Falklands, from time to time businesses try to import draught lager etc with different levels of success.

Wine, just pop into the west store they have a good selection of wines (a lot from Chile) available and only a 5 minute walk from the jetty.

Bluff Cove: They are really chuffed with their award but are not resting on their laurels and this year have construction a museum about Bluff cove farm.

Patrick Watts: I haven't heard a bad thing about his tours and i believe can be upto 50% cheaper that the ship excursions. One note, this may of changed, he only accepts cash do not try to pay by card as he doesn't have the facilities to accept them.

North Pond, someone asked about this I have managed to get some details for you. This is an all day trip which includes lunch, which is provided. They will take you overland by camp road (gravel track) and overland by 4x4 to breeding colonies of magellanic and gentoo penguins. Last year there was also King penguin around though seeing one this year is not guaranteed plenty of other wildlife to see on the way. Because of the location of North pond they can take you back to Stanley via goose green and san Carlos which were areas of major activity during the 82 conflict, however only if time permits.

Beer, a subject close to my heart :-), Unfortunately there is no draught beer here in the Falklands, from time to time businesses try to import draught lager etc with different levels of success.

Wine, just pop into the west store they have a good selection of wines (a lot from Chile) available and only a 5 minute walk from the jetty.

Bluff Cove: They are really chuffed with their award but are not resting on their laurels and this year have construction a museum about Bluff cove farm.

Patrick Watts: I haven't heard a bad thing about his tours and i believe can be upto 50% cheaper that the ship excursions. One note, this may of changed, he only accepts cash do not try to pay by card as he doesn't have the facilities to accept them.

Jason,

Thank you for being a continued source of info about the Falklands!

:D Jason, thanks for all the advice and info.. We opted for the Bluff Lagoon Tour per your info and now we learn its a world wide excursion prize winner. Also appreciated the historical input about the 900+ stranded passengers and crew back in 2005. If we get back to Stanley from Bluff Cove with any time at all, would really like to share a pint with you and some of the locals who responded so hospitably.

les

Les,

Looking at your dates I suspect you will be calling in to Stanley on Friday 2nd April. If so I will be working, as a driver that day (lots of people work with tourist on big days), so beer is out of the question, but if you look out for a grey haired guy with a name tag of Jason at the jetty I'll be glad to have a chat.

• 2 weeks later...
I would be happy to try and answer them for you as I live in Stanley. I actually registered to cruise critic to find info about Disney cruises as we are taking the children on a trip in January, and just had a look in this forum out of curiosity!

Hope I can be of some help to those of you planning a future trip :)

Hi

Will be on the star princess to Falkland Islands early march. Want to do the bluff cove tour. All tours on cruise are very expensive. Any cheaper one we can get while we are on the falks to bluff cove

Thanks

joe

Many thanks,

I just want people to have a good time when they get to the Falklands so any info I can give to help people to get the best out of their stay, the better I feel.

Jason

Jason, I would really value your advice.

We will be in the Falklands on Jan 2nd from 7am to Ipm so limited timewise.

My husband is a very keen birdwatcher. He has booked for the eaarly Nature Trek walk starting at Hadassa Bay hoping to see a wide range of species. Is this the best choice for him in your estimation?

I however want to see penguins . Unfortunately my walking isn't that great. I am slow but fine if its on the flat or gentle slope. Couldn't clamber up and over rocks though. Would Bluff Cove be too challenging for me? Will be very disappointed if I miss out on penguins because of a dodgy hip.

We appreciate you! It's lovely to have a local contact! Reading back in this thread, I know that Gixer (Samantha John) started this thread. Is she OK? If you know her, please tell her how much we appreciated all her time and information shared here, too...and that we miss her! I tried to write to her, at the e-mail address she had once shared in a post, but I didn't get a response.

Do hope the weather will cooperate and we'll get our visit to Stanley on the NCL Sun, March 3rd!

Many thanks,

I just want people to have a good time when they get to the Falklands so any info I can give to help people to get the best out of their stay, the better I feel.

Jason

Poppy11,

For your husband the nature trek will be wonderful,plenty of wildlife normally, I did that walk just the other day and saw, Flightless steamer ducks, oyster catchers, magalenic penguins, black throated finch, long tail meadow lark, redf back hawk plus much more.

Bluff cove will be great for you you are transported all the way to the gentoos/kings , there is a short walk from the gentoo coloney to the beach/cafe but if you ask any of the wardens when you arrive they will be happy to give you a lift down.

Poppy11,

For your husband the nature trek will be wonderful,plenty of wildlife normally, I did that walk just the other day and saw, Flightless steamer ducks, oyster catchers, magalenic penguins, black throated finch, long tail meadow lark, redf back hawk plus much more.

Bluff cove will be great for you you are transported all the way to the gentoos/kings , there is a short walk from the gentoo coloney to the beach/cafe but if you ask any of the wardens when you arrive they will be happy to give you a lift down.

Jason,

After reading the cruise line's description of the nature trek, I was afraid the walk would be too much of a strain on my wife (and maybe me), so I opted for the Bluff Cove excursion. Now, reading your sightings list from the trek, I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice. Just how strenuous is the trek? Also, other than the penguins, what other species are possible on the Bluff Cove trip? Finally, is there a specific bird guide to the Falklands you would recommend? I will be bringing a separate guide for use in Argentina. Thanks for all of your generous advice!