Help-does Anyone Know For Sure-dreaded Passport ?

#1TravelMom

We've been on many cruises and have always had passports, but friends are traveling with us and do not. They are very limited with their travel budget and would not want to get them if not absolutely necessary. I know, it's better to travel with a passport!

I've called the cruise line, they say check the government wesite. I call the government website, they say check with the cruise line. They both say that it's much easier to travel with a passport - I am aware of this - I just need to know if it is required.:confused:

Details: December 15-22, 2007

Crown Princess

Flight from PA to Puerto Rico, the Caribbean Cruise round trip to Puerto Rico, the flight from Puerto Rico to PA.

I don't know why no one can answer this. I've called agencies and the government number and talked to 5 different people-no one is willing to say yes or no!

My main concern would be that if for any reason the couple had to fly back from another stop on the cruise, then you might need a passport.

I understand that they want to save money but it would be worth it in the long run. If they apply and it doesn't get processed in time, they just have to print out a copy of their application and w/ a birth certificate they can get on a plane.

Are they going to scrimp on travel insurance too?

My main concern would be that if for any reason the couple had to fly back from another stop on the cruise, then you might need a passport.

I understand that they want to save money but it would be worth it in the long run. If they apply and it doesn't get processed in time, they just have to print out a copy of their application and w/ a birth certificate they can get on a plane.

Are they going to scrimp on travel insurance too?

You can be cleared through the State Department to return home in an emergency from a foreign country without having a passport, they will fax the airline directly with your clearance. You will wait longer for a scheduled flight than to cut the red tape...

(You do not give up your rights as a US citizen for not having a passport, your country will not abandon you, there are not beaches full of homeless americans in the Carib)

Don't put people down, some people save for years for their cruise of a lifetime, and yes, they may have to cut out travel insurance as well, wish them luck, hopefully they will never need it, the extreme majority of cruisers don't - that is why the insurance biz is lucritive.

all you should need is your birth certificate, and your drivers license,this should ease your mind, so relax and plan the rest of your trip,and above all else make sure you enjoy your cruise:)):p ;)

Everyone above is correct, and the short answer is just a BC and DL will do for the stated itinerary and dates.

Longer answer is that the passports/passcard-for-a-cruise requirement will go into effect somewhere between Jan 31, 2008 and June 2009. Exactly when has not yet been determined, but the government has publicly stated they are 'on target for mid-summer 2008'. There will be at least a 60 day notice before the requirement takes effect.

Even so, the published proposal (June 20, 2007) currently leaves an exception for cruise passengers that meet ALL of the following requirements.

1. US citizen with BC and DL. (Or naturalization papers or US report of Birth abroad papers in place of BC)

2. Round trip (same port) from the US

3. Visiting Caribbean and/or Canada and/or Mexico only

4. None of the visited ports require a passport for entering cruise passengers. (At this time, none do, but that could change)

Two caveats:

--This is just a proposed ruling; it could change in the final publication.

--The Cruise Lines could impose their own stricter document requirements, but that is unlikely since this exception was included in the proposed ruling at their behest.

For anyone who is interested in the details, its in section V, paragraph A, page 36 of 114.

From my own experience, in the past two years the passport requirements have changed multiple times. To be on the safe side, if you do not already have a passport you may as well go ahead begin the process to get one because eventually you will need it...

Just returned from Crown 7/14 sailing, you do not need a passport at this time, just a certified Birth Certificate and drivers license. Getting off at ports they ask for drivers license and key card. Have fun Joann

Archived