RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

Instead of a discussion topic this weekend, let's do another recipe exchange. I just picked this one up off another board, and it has been getting some very good reviews. Can't vouch for it personally, but sure sounds good, and perfect for fall. I think this can also be made in a crock pot, and it is core:

Curry Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

Servings | 10 ( 1 cup )

POINTS per serving | 1

Course | Soups

1~15 oz can Pumpkin

2~14.5 oz cans Diced Tomatoes

1~15oz can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)

2~14 oz cans 99% FF Chicken Broth

2~Cups Chopped Onion

1~Tbsp. Curry Powder

1.5~tsp. Cumin

0.5~tsp. Cayenne Pepper

4~cloves Garlic

Instructions:

Sauté chopped onions with garlic in pan sprayed with

Pam. Mix in with all other ingredients and simmer for

25-30 minutes. Makes 10 one-cup servings.

If desired add 1 Tbsp. FF Half and Half to each cup of

soup for added richness.

this is OT, but just after posting the above, I looked out my window and saw a young deer (a buck) in my back yard. About 20 yards to the right, also in the back yard were 5 wild turkeys. As I watched, 2 other turkeys came to join them. After about 10 minutes, the deer wandered off, and a few minutes after that, the turkeys left in the direction. Fascinating theater.

Ingredients:

1 Large Orange

2 Tblsp. reduced sodium soy sauce

2 Tblsp. chicken broth

1 Tblsp. worcestershire sauce

1 Tblsp. balsamic vinegar

1 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces

4 large garlic cloves, slivered

1 Tblsp. minced peeled fresh ginger

1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper

1 pound sea scallops, each cut in half

1 small white potato, peeled and finely shredded

With a vegetable peeler, remove strips of the zest from the orange and set aside. Cut off the rind, then section the orange over a bowl, allowing the sections to fall into the bowl. Stir in the soy sauce, broth, worcestershire and vinegar - set aside.

Spray a large non-stick skillet or wok with non stick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus, garlic, ginger and crushed red pepper; stir-fry until the asparagus are crisp-tender - about two minutes. Add the scallops and stir fry until just opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Add the orange mixture and reserved orange strips; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil about 30 seconds. Add the potato and cook, stirring constantly until the potato is tender and the mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Serve at once.

I needed to add more chicken broth while I was stir frying so it wouldn't stick - it worked very well, gave it flavor and I didn't need to add fat to cook it with. Mark & I both liked this but thought if we had some chopped peanuts to add as it was plated that it might be a nice addition to the asian flavors. Let me know if you cook it and if you like it. By the way, this is a WW receipe from their new cookbook (I changed it a little - it originally called for two oranges and 2 tbsp. of ginger - both were overpowering) and it makes 4 servings at 4 points each.

this is OT, but just after posting the above, I looked out my window and saw a young deer (a buck) in my back yard. About 20 yards to the right, also in the back yard were 5 wild turkeys. As I watched, 2 other turkeys came to join them. After about 10 minutes, the deer wandered off, and a few minutes after that, the turkeys left in the direction. Fascinating theater.

Sounds wonderful. This morning we watched a Greater Spotted Woodpecker have a real go at our back lawn. DH said it explained the holes he had been finding. Shortly after, a Nuthatch had a drink in our bird bath. These are both relatively rare around here so we were thrilled to see them.

The only time I have seen wild turkeys was in Canada last New Year. They are not indigenous here, so that was treat.

Colleen, scallops are very expensive here, so I will have to give that one a miss.

RB, we don't get canned pumpkin, would it be OK with Butternut Squash, or is that nothing like the same? Also, I am not sure about the 99% FF Chicken Broth, whether that is available here.

Last week I made some 'cakes' for visitors that were lovely. In our system they are 1.5 points each or 14 for the whole mixture. However, I think they are also Core if eaten as part of a meal.

BANANA OAT BARS

Low fat cooking spray

100g (3.5oz) porridge oats

2 tblsps granulated sweetener such as Splenda

half tsp cream of tartar

half tsp ground cinnamon (of course!)

3 ripe medium bananas

2 medium eggs, separated

150g (5.5oz) low fat plain yogurt

Heat oven to 180c (350f). Lightly grease an 8 inch square cake tin (although I used an oblong one of similar size) with low fat cooking spray and line with baking parchment.

Reserve 1 tblsp of oats for topping then whizz the rest to a powder in a food processor. In a largish bowl, mix with the sweetener, cream of tartar and cinnamon and then stir in mashed bananas, egg yolks and yogurt.

In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and carefully fold them in to the mixture. Pour into the prepared tin and scatter over the reserved oats.

Bake for about 30 minutes until firm and springy. Cool in the tin, set on a wire rack. Turn out, remove lining paper and cut into 10 fingers or wrap individual bars in cling film and freeze.

What I actually did was to add in 100g of finely chopped dates and then divide it into 12 squares, still at 1.5 points each but would not be Core then. I just love date and banana together!

So, now we have Soup, Main Course and a Dessert.

Cinna

RB & Cinn - both of those recipes sound great. I am going shopping tomorrow and will most likely make the soup as its getting more fall like outside now. The bars sound really good as well my only hesitation with that is I am afraid I might eat all of them! LOL - the dates do sound like a nice addition. To bad scallops are pricey there. Actually when I made this last week for my b-day they were very high here as well - $13.00 a pound. It was a treat.

RB - very cool about the deer and turkeys. We have been seeing a lot of deer lately. My daughter spotted 3 within 30 minutes on a drive the other afternoon. They must be active now since the acorns are falling. Hubby hunts deer so the first thing I thought when you said they were in your yard was - BOOM - LOL - sorry. I do love venison though and look forward to having some in the next month or so.

Thanks for the receipes. Colleen

RB, we don't get canned pumpkin, would it be OK with Butternut Squash, or is that nothing like the same? Also, I am not sure about the 99% FF Chicken Broth, whether that is available here.

butternut squash should work just fine. they are very similar.

Hubby hunts deer so the first thing I thought when you said they were in your yard was - BOOM - LOL - sorry. I do love venison though and look forward to having some in the next month or so.

Colleen - we think a lot alike; I was

(warning - animal lovers might not want to click on this link)

I actually saw that the first time in a movie theater, believe it or not!

RB - OMG - I remember that from like a bazillion years ago - probably when it first came out - I guess that dates me!! I must say though that would be a waste of good venison because it would make it tough - :^)

I bought all the ingredients tonight to make both the pumpkin soup and the oatmeal banana bars. Tomorrow will be a cool day so I will be cooking. I am really enjoying finding new recipes to keep things fresh - thanks for sharing!!

The bars sound really good as well my only hesitation with that is I am afraid I might eat all of them! LOL - the dates do sound like a nice addition. To bad scallops are pricey there. Actually when I made this last week for my b-day they were very high here as well - $13.00 a pound. It was a treat.

Colleen, Scallops here are about £13.00 per pound, i.e. double! I love them and always choose them from the menu on the ship at least once each cruise and again when we are in Florida.

I think the reason that the recipe mentions wrapping in film and freezing them is to prevent them being all eaten at once. I took 2 out of the freezer this morning to have for my tea!

Today we have just had Roast Beef, Dry Roast Poatatoes, Mashed swede (rutibaga) and carrots, ff gravy and a bought Yorkshire pudding. The reason for buying the Yorkshires ready made and frozen is that they are only 1 point each, just heated in the oven. DH has 2! For afters I made Semolina and stewed some homegrown apples. Lovely. I feel comfortably full. Have a good cooking session.

Cinna

I am here to report that I have made both of the recipes. RB - that soup is amazing - you have to make it. I cannot believe that it is only 1 point a bowl and it is very filling. I had two bowls not because I was still hungry but because it was just so darn good. Now - sad to say - I am overly full.

Cinna - I made the banana oat bars while the soup was simmering. They are cooling on the counter but they look good. I am afraid I may have underbaked them a little though - ughh. The sides and top were browning at 30 min and they were spongy so I took them out. I didn't have parchment paper so perhaps thats why the bottom doesn't seem quite cooked or browned like the sides are. They smell heavenly so I might just need to freeze some - LOL.

I am going to look through my recipes and post something else. I'll check back later to see who has been here. Colleen

I found this on the WW board. I have many apples to use up so I will make this tomorrow and report back.

Apple Pie - 8 servings - 4 pts each

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tsp sugar

3 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, chilled and cut up

2 Tbsp water, or more if necessary

4 medium apple(s), McIntosh, peeled and thinly sliced

1/4 cup sugar

1 Tbsp cornstarch

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/3 cup uncooked old fashioned oats

5 Tbsp all-purpose flour

2 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, melted

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

To make the crust, combine 1 cup of flour and 2 teaspoons of sugar in a large bowl or food processor. Add 3 tablespoons of chilled margarine and process (or mix together with your fingers if you do not have a food processor) until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cold water, one tablespoon at a time, and process or mix until a manageable dough forms. Press dough into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Pinch the edges to form a decorative rim; set aside.

To make the filling, combine apples, 1/4 cup of sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a large bowl; toss to coat apples. Arrange mixture in prepared piecrust.

To make the topping, combine oats, 5 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar and melted margarine in a small bowl; sprinkle over apples.

Bake until apples are tender and crumb topping is golden brown, about 45 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.

I made the soup this afternoon and agree - fantastic! I did make a couple of changes to the recipe, though. I used some olive oil instead of cooking spray. I also added a tablespoon of light sour cream, which cuts down a bit on the acid of the tomato and really makes it a lot better. Good stuff!

Nothing fancy going on in the kitchen here today. Had brown rice and kidney bean salad with lots of veg in it for lunch and having pork chops with onion gravy, mashed potato and cabbage for dinner. DH likes basic English cooking sometimes rather than 'recipes'.

Cinna

Hey everyone, thanks for the recipes! The soup was wonderful, I didn't add the curry though, and I thickened it a bit, so it was more creamy. Yummy!

I'm looking forward to trying the others, I even bought dates for the banana bars.

Tonight is leftovers from yesterdays pot roast. I put the roast, potatoes and carrots with ff gravy and healthy request cream of mushroom soup with lots of veggies on the side. I'll have to figure the points. I picked up a Light Cooking magazine the other day and found some things that looked good. I'll post them after I've tried them.

Fall is definitely here, the weather has turned cooler and we've had rain the last couple of days.

Make it a good day!

Hi Beth - Seems like the soup was a big hit for everyone. If you make the banana bars make sure to use the parchment paper on the bottom. I had to throw mine out because the whole center part really didn't cook. I was bummed because I used my blender, mixing bowl and a couple of bowls plus the pan (lots to wash) and it was all for not. Better luck to you on that one - from what I ate from the edge though they tasted good and they have a strange spongey texture to them from the egg whites - def. different.

I am out of my extra points for the week - ughh - and its only Tuesday morning. Weigh in is on Friday morning so I am going to run today to get some AP's and I am going to have to be good! I think I may be getting into vacation mode a few days early - either that or it has just been the hungry horrors.

Have a good day! Colleen

RB - I have been journalling faithfully for the past 6 weeks (pretty much when I got back into going weekly to WW). I do tend to stop writing down my points after dinner and in the morning I tally the damage I may have done from an extra beer or two and snacks the evening before. I know in my head what I have left for points but do the official tally with my morning coffee. This is why I am out of extra weekly points today Tuesday and my weigh in is on Friday - overindulgent evenings! Knowing the problem is half the problem though so I know this is my weak area. Today I logged 5 miles before 9 a.m. which gives me 8 activity points for tonights munchfest - LOL. I am training right now for a half marathon and I think the extra miles I am logging is making me extra hungry (and it would seem extra thirsty from my beer consumption last night).

I keep my journal on the counter where I see it several times a day - this helps me not sure if it would help others. Good luck - I do think that I do a lot better when I am honest with my tracker.

I haven't been journaling the last few days. I do keep track in my head though, but sometimes I'll forget to add something in. I journal online at ww.com, maybe I need to go back to the old paper and pencil...

I really want to reach my goal before my cruise, but I think I'm kind of shooting myself in the foot and looking for reasons to quit. We're going out of town next weekend, Halloween is coming and I'll have a house full of candy (I haven't bought any yet, and I try to buy stuff I don't like much), then it's my anniversary, Thanksgiving... You get the picture. AAARGH!! Why do I do this to myself?

I weigh less than I have in 8 years, my clothes look good on me and I get loads of compliments. In total I have lost 45 lbs from my high. I feel good, and I know I look better, so why do I sabotage myself?

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I feel better just putting it into words. It makes me see things more clearly.

Make it a good day!

Alright Beth - lets put this in perspective! You have said many wonderful things about yourself so I know that you KNOW all these good things. You are at your lowest weight in 8 - THATS EIGHT years!! Bravo!! That in itself is HUGE. You have lost 45 pounds - that my friend is a 5 year old! Again, BRAVO!! You have pointed out the 4 days that will be challenging - if I counted correctly. A weekend away - two nights, Halloween - only 1 night - and Thanksgiving - again only 1 night. So you see you really only have four tough days ahead of you and there are (hold on while I count them out on the calendar) 74 days until your cruise (I cheated and used your link - LOL). So there are 70 days you can behave yourself and do your best! I don't remember what you have to get to the "magic number" you have thought of BUT I do know that:

#1 You are at your lowest weight

#2 Your clothes are looking good on you

#3 Friends and family can see the change in you

#4 You can handle FOUR days

Did this help or do you hate me now??

P.S. When you pack for your trip you will be amazed at how you can just pick anything from your closet and it will fit! You might even have to buy some new things because the things you have are to big.

Great encouragement Colleen. I echo everything she said.

It is funny how we can become a little obsessed about this isn't it. Last night at my play rehearsal we discussed the fact that we send out for Fish n Chips after the last night. I was panicking, thinking 'I can't eat that!' Then I realised, it is only one meal!

In answer to RBs question, no I am not tracking this week. I have been doing so fervently for about 10 weeks but having switched to Core this week I have stopped. Am just recording my extra points which on our system is 21 a week. I will be interested to see how it works. Funnily enough I do miss writing it all down and may start again if the loss is not good.

Question for WWers today.

Which is easier to 'manage' on a cruise. Points or Core?

I don't mean I will try to lose on the cruise, just limit the damage. If I stayed the same while still being able to enjoy the food I would be ecstatic.

Cinna

I have been thinking about this very thing. I have no idea which way to go. I think it would be amazingly tough to try and figure out points because I know they don't cook anything like I do and I think I would be out of points at breakfast! LOL - Here is what I think I am going to do.

I packed a suitcase full of water bottles (because I am cheap and won't spend $3 a bottle or more from the ship),

I am going to ask that a shrimp cocktail be brought to me every evening at dinner automatically so I can avoid eating from the bread basket,

I am going to work out as many times during the week as I can but def. on at sea days,

I am going to order of the spa menu as much as possible,

I will get the treats that I want but not feel as though I need to eat an entire piece of this or that - one or two bites and then push it away (unless it is just the best ever and then I may eat the whole thing),

I plan on taking only the stairs (unless I am dressed for dinner).

I would be happy coming home with only a 4-5 lb gain. I go up soooo easily. I have gained 11 lbs in a week. The best I have done has been 4 and I mostly followed core that week - totally stayed away from the sugary drinks. I will report back in a little over a week if my plan worked at all. Fingers crossed. Colleen

Hello! Your thread is so ACTIVE! May I join in your discussion group? I'm new to WW; joined last week Thursday. So I will weigh in tomorrow after my first week of being on Weight Watchers.

My name is Moe and I'm cruising on the Valor in April, 2008. I want to lose 40 - 50lbs. before my cruise, or at least be close to my goal by the time the cruise gets here. I'll admit, my first few days on the program were ROUGH, and that's when I realized how much of a 'snacker' I am! I tend to snack all day long. So it was very difficult to stay within my point allotment for each day. But I haven't cheated! YEA! The plan seems doable, if I follow it the way I'm supposed to. I love the fact that I can choose foods that I normally eat, just have to watch my portions and points. I decided to follow the Flex Plan of WW.

As for journaling, being new to WW, I am writing everything down and keeping a daily log of what I eat and the points value. It keeps me on track, until I get more familiar with which foods carry what points value. My first day of journaling was overwhelming, to say the least. But its getting easier; still tedious though.

Well, thanks for letting me post here and I look forward to becoming familiar with everyone on the thread. Enjoy!

Moe

Archived