RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

Even when I have been bad I still journal and track the points and then move on........

Normally I try track my points before I put the food in my mouth and find this helps and also will try a taste of something and then leave it if I decide it's not worth the points whereas before I would eat it cause it is just so bad to waste food:eek: :eek:

I think about my childhood...we were taught to clean our plates. Believe it or not, that still grates on me! I feel guilty if I don't eat everything on my plate whether I need it or not or whether I'm hungry or not! Go figure?

Maureen

I think about my childhood...we were taught to clean our plates. Believe it or not, that still grates on me! I feel guilty if I don't eat everything on my plate whether I need it or not or whether I'm hungry or not! Go figure?

Maureen

Us too and then we were bribed with dessert - no wonder we have weight issues:eek: :eek: :eek:

Us too and then we were bribed with dessert - no wonder we have weight issues:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey! Sounds like you had a great childhood! lol We sure weren't bribed with dessert - I wish we were...

Today's topic was suggested by posts yesterday by Julia and Maureen.

Who was a member of the Clean Plate Club? Did you put on weight in order to help the starving children of India? Were you taught it is a sin to waste food? Or a waste of money?

When I was in college, I ate in a communal kitchen where I paid a fee every semester, and we hired a cook who prepared meals during the week. On weekends, we were on our own. At lunch, there was typically a sandwich of some type, and we were permitted to take two sandwiches. How many times did I take the second sandwich, not because I was hungry, but because I had "paid" for it. How many times did I have the same attitude at a restaurant or, worse, a buffet?

Worse than cleaning your own plate is cleaning your family members' plates. MUCH of my weight is attributable to finishing my kids' meals.

What do you think?

Onward and downward!

Rb, yes I think I qualify for the Clean Plate Club. It certainly made us 'eat up'. Now, however, it has just become greed for me. I love food and hate to throw it away unless it is really unpalatable, i.e. mouldy or something I don't like the taste of.

On cruises this translates into 'having my money's worth' too, but we don't ever eat in the buffet except on boarding and if we are late back for lunch after a shore trip. I find that I can control myself much better in the dining room when I can't go back for a few other things. It is just the bread rolls and butter which are my downfall then. We just don't have them at home and I love them!!!

Cinnamon

I was always told to clean my plate. I think a lot of things from my childhood contibute to my weight problems. Another thing was we always had bread with dinner, like with spaghetti we always soaked up the sauce with the bread. Now i never eat bread with pasta or any dinner.

Rb, yes I think I qualify for the Clean Plate Club. It certainly made us 'eat up'. Now, however, it has just become greed for me. I love food and hate to throw it away unless it is really unpalatable, i.e. mouldy or something I don't like the taste of.

On cruises this translates into 'having my money's worth' too, but we don't ever eat in the buffet except on boarding and if we are late back for lunch after a shore trip. I find that I can control myself much better in the dining room when I can't go back for a few other things. It is just the bread rolls and butter which are my downfall then. We just don't have them at home and I love them!!!

Cinnamon

We never eat dinner in the buffet as DH prefers the DR. Lunch and breakfast is usually just whatever is easier at the time and our plans for the day. I have tried to change my eating habits onboard, will have fruit first in the morning and try stay away from the heavier things like bagels, eggs etc and fill up on mushrooms, fruit and a healthy cereal. I have found I feel better and then have a huge salad for lunch first so that I am generally full before I start with the entree and desserts.

I only allow myself 1 bread roll at dinner cause they are so yummy and have really tried to keep my mind from thinking I can order multiple things to try.

We also use the stairs and walk onboard (except for formal night when I have heels).

The last few cruises I have found I have maintained my weight without feeling like I missed out.

Hopefully I can follow this on the upcoming one - wonder if there is a scale in the spa??

I was always told to clean my plate. I think a lot of things from my childhood contibute to my weight problems. Another thing was we always had bread with dinner, like with spaghetti we always soaked up the sauce with the bread. Now i never eat bread with pasta or any dinner.

We always had hot tea after almost every meal with either bread/breadrolls or some kind of cake/tart even after moving to the US my parents still do this and funnily enough it is something I never do except when at my folks:D

I am still a member of the clean plates club. :rolleyes: Sometimes I just keep eating because it's there. I had a friend who would pour salt over her plate once she was full because then it wouldn't taste good. I used to think, "what a waste" but at least it stops you from eating.

I think the trick for me is to try to eat sloooowly. I usually eat really fast and am finishing up while everyone else still has lots of food. That leads to grabbing fries off of others' plates, etc. So I have to try to eat very slowly and then have the server take my plate away when I'm done eating.

I also try to eat as much salad or veggies first so that can start to fill me up.

Anyone have any other tricks?

So, I'm heading out to a german restaurant for lunch today with some co-workers. Here is a list of the salads they offer. Believe me, the salads are the best bet, everything else is "sausage platter this" and "bratwurst that!" LOL ;)

Can someone tell me what they would order? What sounds the healthiest? I was thinking of the pulled chicken salad.

TIA!!!

House Salad

Assorted field greens, shaved fennel & asparagus tossed in a candied kumquat vinaigrette

Iceberg Lettuce Wedge

Crisp Iceberg Lettuce topped with Maytag Bleu Cheese Dressing, Crispy Pancetta, Tear Drop Tomatoes and Parmesan Wafer

Fried Calamari Salad

Crispy fried calamari tossed w/ a sweet chili sauce presented on a bed of mixed w/ wonton ribbons & ginger / cilantro vinaigrette

Beet & Asparagus Salad

Oven roasted beet tossed w/ Dusseldorf mustard vinaigrette, garnished w/ pencil asparagus tips, mache lettuce & cambozola cheese

Pulled Chicken Salad

Ginger marinated chicken breast with mixed baby greens & Asian inspired vegetables tossed with sesame soy vinaigrette & crispy wonton ribbons

Caesar Salad

Romaine Lettuce Hearts, Creamy Anchovy Dressisng, Warm Polenta Croutons and Shaved Parmesan Cheese *w/ grilled chicken optional

I am still a member of the clean plates club. :rolleyes: Sometimes I just keep eating because it's there. I had a friend who would pour salt over her plate once she was full because then it wouldn't taste good. I used to think, "what a waste" but at least it stops you from eating.

I think the trick for me is to try to eat sloooowly. I usually eat really fast and am finishing up while everyone else still has lots of food. That leads to grabbing fries off of others' plates, etc. So I have to try to eat very slowly and then have the server take my plate away when I'm done eating.

I also try to eat as much salad or veggies first so that can start to fill me up.

Anyone have any other tricks?

Ask for a box with your meal and box up 1/2 for lunch tomorrow.

I usually get 2-3 meals out of a restaurant meal and sure I would be double or triple over weight if I ate what they serve. I think restaurants are starting to realize this.

So, I'm heading out to a german restaurant for lunch today with some co-workers. Here is a list of the salads they offer. Believe me, the salads are the best bet, everything else is "sausage platter this" and "bratwurst that!" LOL ;)

Can someone tell me what they would order? What sounds the healthiest? I was thinking of the pulled chicken salad.

TIA!!!

House Salad

Assorted field greens, shaved fennel & asparagus tossed in a candied kumquat vinaigrette

Iceberg Lettuce Wedge

Crisp Iceberg Lettuce topped with Maytag Bleu Cheese Dressing, Crispy Pancetta, Tear Drop Tomatoes and Parmesan Wafer

Fried Calamari Salad

Crispy fried calamari tossed w/ a sweet chili sauce presented on a bed of mixed w/ wonton ribbons & ginger / cilantro vinaigrette

Beet & Asparagus Salad

Oven roasted beet tossed w/ Dusseldorf mustard vinaigrette, garnished w/ pencil asparagus tips, mache lettuce & cambozola cheese

Pulled Chicken Salad

Ginger marinated chicken breast with mixed baby greens & Asian inspired vegetables tossed with sesame soy vinaigrette & crispy wonton ribbons

Caesar Salad

Romaine Lettuce Hearts, Creamy Anchovy Dressisng, Warm Polenta Croutons and Shaved Parmesan Cheese *w/ grilled chicken optional

That sounds like what I would order with dressing on the side.

I don't eat croutons so always order without or remove them

salads are SO treacherous - so many hidden calories in the meats, marinades, & dressings.

I usually ask for no dressing and request oil and vinegar on the side. I ask specifically for olive oil (remember the good health guidelines!).

Last time I ate out, I thought all of the salads looked a little dangerous and I ordered off the menu. I asked for mixed greens w/ no cheese, bacon, croutons, etc., topped with grilled chicken breast, grilled w/ no added fat And, that's exactly what I got.

Idea for tomorrow's topic: ordering off the menu?

I agree, salads can be sooo treacherous!!! But after looking at the menu online (which helps me to decide what I want to eat BEFORE I get there, so I can plan), I decided that it was the best choice.

Does anyone else have a problem speaking up and telling the server what you want? No butter, no fried things, etc?

I always feel like "that one person" when I do so. It's hard for me. I imagine everyone (including the server) is rolling their eyes...

RachieLynn, I too eat much too fast. Project for tommorow........Slow down. Put my knife and fork down between each mouthful and chew slowly!

If you all ever come over to the UK, it is not normally acceptable here to order 'off menu' or ask for different things. Depending on the establishment you can ask for dressings to be served separately but our culture is quite different. The Sally character in When Harry Met Sally comes to mind. That would simply not work in most of our restaurants.

Also, our portions are much smaller and we don't normally have things 'boxed' that we haven't eaten.

Add all that to the fact that is much more costly to eat out here, you will see why we do so much less frequently. For us, probably only about once a month. I think that is one of the reasons I love cruising so much. It is like eating out every day and no-one brings you a bill at the end, as it is already paid for.

Cinnamon

Restaurants are dangerous to any diet program. This is such a large topic, that we can spend several days chatting about it.

To start, let's pick up the discussion that started yesterday about ordering off-menu. Do you do it? What types of requests do you make?

I make special requests at restaurants all the time. The first step is to ask questions about how dishes are prepared. How is it prepared, what ingredients, etc. I do not hesitate to request that added fats be reduced or that olive oil be used instead of butter. Sometimes I'll even order something that isn't on the menu at all - like a plain grilled chicken breast and steamed vegetables. Or, as described yesterday, a salad with just greens and grilled chicken or seafood - without the added cheese, etc. All restaurants will give you vinegar and oil instead of the salad dressing list.

One trick at a Mexican restaurant is to request, instead of the tortiilla chips, to be brought a couple of plain corn tortillas. It's the same stuff - but without having been deep fried.

Substituting is fine, too. I'll frequently order a plain baked potato with salsa and lemon (delicious and practically fat free).

A couple of "off menu" etiquette suggestions - be exceedingly polite and grateful. Don't quibble about pricing. And, tip generously if your instructions have been properly followed.

Also, I do not do this at "fine dining" establishments, because I wouldn't tinker with a chef's "creation." I don't do it on cruise ships either - partly for the same reason and partly because the servers are already so overburdened. But, for family style or even slightly upscale restaurants, I do not hesitate.

Tomorrow's topic: Exercising portion control at a restaurant

What do you think?

Onward and downward!

Split entrees? Ordering appetizers? Asking for "doggie bag" container at the beginning of a meal? What strategies work for you to avoid overeating?

For me, I generally steer towards the lower calorie choices so that I can eat more. I have not physically put the food in a take-out container at the beginning of a meal. Instead, I will figure out how much of the food I want to eat and will physically separate it from the rest on my plate. I generally will stick to my plan.

What works for you?

Split entrees? Ordering appetizers? Asking for "doggie bag" container at the beginning of a meal? What strategies work for you to avoid overeating?

For me, I generally steer towards the lower calorie choices so that I can eat more. I have not physically put the food in a take-out container at the beginning of a meal. Instead, I will figure out how much of the food I want to eat and will physically separate it from the rest on my plate. I generally will stick to my plan.

What works for you?

I find that if I take my time when I eat in the restaurant I always end up with something to take home. My problem is that I eat too fast!

I always feel like "that one person" when I do so. It's hard for me. I imagine everyone (including the server) is rolling their eyes...

I grew up in SA and nobody ever requested things so when I came here I never did either. Now I do but it is simple stuff like 'no croutons' 'dressing on the side' etc I don't ask them to make special things for me.

RachieLynn, I too eat much too fast. Project for tommorow........Slow down. Put my knife and fork down between each mouthful and chew slowly!

If you all ever come over to the UK, it is not normally acceptable here to order 'off menu' or ask for different things. Depending on the establishment you can ask for dressings to be served separately but our culture is quite different. The Sally character in When Harry Met Sally comes to mind. That would simply not work in most of our restaurants.

Also, our portions are much smaller and we don't normally have things 'boxed' that we haven't eaten.

Add all that to the fact that is much more costly to eat out here, you will see why we do so much less frequently. For us, probably only about once a month. I think that is one of the reasons I love cruising so much. It is like eating out every day and no-one brings you a bill at the end, as it is already paid for.

Cinnamon

That is how SA is and Australia is too so it must be most of the places that were English colonies except probably Canada as they are so lose to the USA.:D

I will figure out how much of the food I want to eat and will physically separate it from the rest on my plate. I generally will stick to my plan.

What works for you?

I do this too but read so much about people putting it in the box before they start.

Last night we went to DH favorite restaurant Boneheads, I ordered my half chicken as usual, I love there fries but just ordered grilled zuccini for my side and I always tell them no rice and last night they substituted extra zuccini for that.

I ate half the chicken and half the zuccini and then got a box and brought the rest home. DH ate his all and also ordered the zuccini instead of his usual fries but said afterwards that he ate too much. He has lost 40lbs and probably not used to eating 1/2 chicken anymore:D :D

How is everyone doing on their points today?

I have been careful, have finished my evening meal and have a couple left. I was feeling hungry this afternoon but we were out watching cricket and so I couldn't snack which was a blessing.

Cinnamon

I used up all but 9 of my points before dinner, but I've been a busy guy and have earned 10 AP's!! So, I'm in good shape.

I just had a healthy chice panini for dinner and still have 6 points left cause I had to rush DS to the emergency room and spent 4 hours there so never had time to snack or munch. Also the reason I had dinner so late which I don't often do:D

I just had a healthy chice panini for dinner and still have 6 points left cause I had to rush DS to the emergency room and spent 4 hours there so never had time to snack or munch. Also the reason I had dinner so late which I don't often do:D

How is your son? I do hope it was not too serious. Rushing to the ER sounds drastic.

Cinnamon

Archived