Balcony Dinner Question

HiMagicFan

My sister and I are planning to surprise my parents with a balcony dinner. We are anticipating the tips to be $20 for the server and $10 for the other person (sorry forgot the lingo).

We were wondering if you are supposed to tip the photography also?

and if so is $10 good?

Thanks

We just had this dinner as we left Huahine. It was very nice, although the waiter was a bit slow in bringing our dessert. We did not tip the photographer. I didn't even think about that. She did such a quick job, and the photos were printed really red. The picture we took with our own camera turned out much nicer. We were going to leave a tip for the waiter, but he never came back after the meal. Instead, a different person left the dessert, so we didn't bother. All in all, the food was good....nothing fantastic however. It was nice to enjoy a dinner in the privacy of our aft balcony. Would I do it again? Probably not.....would save the $100 and have a few more meals at Sterlings or Sabatini's instead. If I would tip, $10 would be more than enough in my opinion.

We also had an UBD in an aft OS--it wasn't as good as it was on the Crown--the Crown was terrific--

We're going on the TP again in March--will not do it again

With the OS you can have your formal night on the deck with lobster and whatever

The steak and lobster on the TP was not nearly as nice as on the Crown--it could be that the TP has most of their supplies coming from Singapore (I think)

Nancy:D

No charge for the dinner on formal night--there is never a room service charge for dining room meals sent to the OS.

They brought it all at once--so you skip the salad and head right for the lobster or beef welington or whatever

We were on the Crown Princess (same time as Seal) and really enjoyed the UBD. The food and service were excellent. The included photographer's picture did not turn out well - we also got better shots with our own camera.

Based on what I have read about the UBD on the Tahitian Princess, we have decided not to do it on our upcoming trip. Instead, we are going to go for Sabitinis or Sterlings for our anniversary dinner. I'm hoping that we will have a great group at our assigned seating for dinner and we are going to enjoy the TP dining the "old fashioned" way!

Have a great cruise/vacation/trip

Even with our bad weather last August--it was a great cruise !! They really tried their best to make us happy--we liked it enough to do it again last May.

Safe travels and smooth waters

Thank you, we are so excited!!! My only regret is that we didn't get the OS for this one. We are in a mini, which I know is nice on the TP, but I am going to miss being AFT and having all of the Suite Perks!! Oh well, I know we are going to have a fantastic time in Paradise!!

I will write a review when we return!

Sorry to get off subject here...:):):)

I agree with the original poster. $20 for the waiter and $10 for the assistant sounds good. It's a little high but I always tend to round up, not down when tipping. Giving them $10 for something that is $100 comes to a 10% tip. They are there serving you and only you. But having been a waiter myself, the tip should reflect the service. Good service gets a good tip. Great service gets a great tip!

We did the UBD on the CB and had a wonderful time. And yes, we tipped $30 total. We also upgraded to a full bottle of champagne so the total bill was around $130 which warrented the $30. But we didn't tip the photographer. We didn't even think about it.

I agree with the original poster. $20 for the waiter and $10 for the assistant sounds good. It's a little high but I always tend to round up, not down when tipping. Giving them $10 for something that is $100 comes to a 10% tip. They are there serving you and only you. But having been a waiter myself, the tip should reflect the service. Good service gets a good tip. Great service gets a great tip!

We did the UBD on the CB and had a wonderful time. And yes, we tipped $30 total. We also upgraded to a full bottle of champagne so the total bill was around $130 which warrented the $30. But we didn't tip the photographer. We didn't even think about it.

It is not true that they are serving only you. When we had our balcony dinner the waiter had four other cabins. The service was slow and we were credited for $20.00 which is what they charge for service. The rest of the dinner price is for the pics, drink and champagne.

Maybe it was the ship? On the CB, it was the perfect timing. Maybe the TP doesn't have enough staff for. We're on the TP in 2 short weeks but don't plan on doing it. Once was nice. We'll hit up Sabatini's again though!! Maybe twice, we do have 12 days! :D

Ir will be good to hear if the staffing situation has imporved since June. I hope you have a great trip. and please, keep you foot at the thoat of the Yankees and do not let them up.

Archived