Spirit Refurbishment

Mbee119394

Does anyone know if the Spirit will be refitted for the american market before it sails in the caribbean? For example changing the signage and decorations. Did anyone who has sailed on it feel it was obtrusive or was it nice. Was there still a lot of references in it to being part of star cruises. If anyone can help me out with these questions I would appreciate it. I am planning a group cruise and with the 9 day itinerary it provides a cheaper way to get a cruise that goes into barbados with out having to pay the expensive airfare to San Juan. The Carnival legend also goes to Barbados from Fort Lauderdale but from the pictures the boat looks kind of ugly. If anyone has been on either the NCL Spirit or the Carnival Legend could you give me some advice. Thankyou!

I was on the Spirit in late May (2nd sailing under NCL). I felt she was great. The Star Cruises stuff was not obtrusive (Star is their parent company :) ) and 99% of signs were in English, as well as other Asian languages. The only sign I saw sign in an Asian language only was the neon sign pointing to the Henry the Black Pub. It still said PUB though... There is very little if any refitting they will have to do. My only complaint was there was only one 110 V outlet (lots of 220V) and it had a max of 500W so your hairdryer will blow out the power for multiple cabins.

The Spirit was a great ship. I'd sail her again in a heartbeat if the price and itinerary was right.

Natalie

Does anyone know if the Spirit will be refitted for the american market before it sails in the caribbean? For example changing the signage and decorations. Did anyone who has sailed on it feel it was obtrusive or was it nice. Was there still a lot of references in it to being part of star cruises. If anyone can help me out with these questions I would appreciate it. I am planning a group cruise and with the 9 day itinerary it provides a cheaper way to get a cruise that goes into barbados with out having to pay the expensive airfare to San Juan. The Carnival legend also goes to Barbados from Fort Lauderdale but from the pictures the boat looks kind of ugly. If anyone has been on either the NCL Spirit or the Carnival Legend could you give me some advice. Thankyou!

The Spirit is great just the way she is! I wouldn't change a thing! Here's a terrific picture site:

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/sp/nclsp.htm

I just returned from an Alaskan Cruise on the Spirit. It was wonderful. Yes, there are some obvious oriental decorations that were a little gaudy but they were quite tolerable. The signage is defintely Norwegian Cruise Line. The food was excellent, the entertainment was good and the crew were very, very courteous. I liked it so much that I just booked the Southern Caribbean cruise today in the same cabin for March. I'm sure you'll enjoy the ship

did you have an inside, balcony, or suite? was it nice? I had a balcony on the dawn and it was alittle bit smaller than the one I had on the adventure of the seas. I imagine the spirits balconies are comparable to the Dawn's. The suite I had on the zuiderdam was fantastic. I wonder if the spirits compare. From the pictures they do look pretty opulant, although there are not many of them on the ship. There are alot of connecting rooms on this boat. Did this wreck some of the rooms. I heard that the rooms that connect on adventure lost their sitting area because of the door. Is this true on the srpirit. I know I have a lot of questions but I am planning this group cruise and I want to find the boat that offers the best amentities for a wide age group that goes to Barbados and want to avoid going to San Juan. I know I have only two choices and I am leaning towars the Spirit because from the pictures carnival's legend looks really ugly. Once again if anyone has any Info on either of these ships I would appreciate it.

IIRC, she was supposed to have gone in for a refurbishment this autumn before going to the Caribbean. But NCL's capacity requirements are such that it has been put off until the autumn of 2005. Have a look at the NCL press releases from March-ish this year talking about 2005 deployment for details.

Hi - I can't give you any insight on the Spirit as we don't cruise on her until this November, but I was on the Carnival Legend two years ago and I thought the ship was very nice, not ugly at all. It is decorated with alot of urns which alot of people really hate, but I thought they were beautiful. And this ship isn't glitzy like most of Carnival's - it was really toned down. We had a fabulous cruise.

We also looked at sailing the Legend again as we wanted to do the Southern itinerary, but we liked having two additional ports to stop at on the Spirit (5 vs 3 on Legend) plus an extra day. And we are excited about trying the freestyle dining, which I think we will love.

Check out all of the Spirit pictures sites and you will see that she appears to be in fine shape.

I wonder when they are going to install the ncl sign on the stack or have they done it already? Plus are there mini refrigerators in each stateroom.My room on the ncl dawn did.

There wasn't a sign on the stack when I took my Spirit cruise in June. No refrigerators in cabins, unfortunately. :(

Anyway, I think the ship looks great as-is and I hope they don't change her too much next year when she goes into drydock.

Archived