Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ajaxgalca

JUST returned TODAY from Carnival Pride - Any Questions?

Hey all - we just returned this morning from the Carnival Pride and Mexican Riviera. The trip was great - the new cruise director, Jeff Bronson - did a GREAT job and the we had perfect weather and wonderful water. Embarkation took us 20 minutes - start to finish! - and self deparkation this morning was SOOO smooth. They called our floor at 7;45 and we were through customs, packed up in our car, and on the freeway by 8:25 AM!

Carnival in Long Beach is doing a great job - any questions or concerns? Feel free to ask!

We're sailing on Vision of the Seas for Thanksgiving. Do you have tips for shore excursions you might have booked on your own (not thru Carnival)?

Thanks!

Glad you had a great time! We are going on the Pride in 3 weeks. You mentioned that Jeff Bronson did a good job could you fill me in on this also what excursions did you take?

JGB

Sounds like you had a really great trip! Thanks for offering to answer questions so here goes...........

You mentioned that the weather was nice. How were the sea days? I have read on these boards that the first and last sea days are chilly. Did you experience that?

We sail the Pride Thanksgiving week and are looking forward to it. We have sailed a number of times on a number of cruise lines. Carnival has not disappointed us!

Also, how was the food.

Thanks!

We're sailing on Vision of the Seas for Thanksgiving. Do you have tips for shore excursions you might have booked on your own (not thru Carnival)?

Thanks!

In Puerto Vallarta, we chose to spend the day on the beach and we took a cab to the Westin/Nikki Beach. It was a great place to swim, relax and have lunch. The food and drinks were a bit pricey (Chicken Quesadillas were $13 - margueritas were $7) but the food was delicious! The Westin did not charge us to use their facility - we just walked in and asked where we could get towels for the day and were told where to go.

Do not try to walk to this hotel! It looks close by but would take over an hour to walk in intense heat and humidity, this is NOT a wise choice!

In Mazatlan, we chose to take a cab to the El Cid and Tony's on the Beach for lunch = the cabby misguided us and we never found Tony's but we did find the El Cid - however it was mobbed with people. We lunched at the pier and the margueritas were potent but tasty and the Guacamole and chips were delicious!

In Cabo, my husband went on the Chilean Bay Snokeling trip (on Carnival) and was quite pleased with a good dive. I walked on my own to the new Shopping Center (which was air conditioned!) and did some street shopping. Ate at Cabo Wabo and hightaled back to the ship. This is a very fast port day - - don't delay getting back to the ship! 3 tenders returned people to the ship AFTER we left port - and the ship actually stopped for them!

Glad you had a great time! We are going on the Pride in 3 weeks. You mentioned that Jeff Bronson did a good job could you fill me in on this also what excursions did you take?

JGB

Jeff Bronson did a great job MCing the shore talks as well as the shows. He wasn't corny - he was very informative. It was his first week on the ship and he was the best cruise director we have heard in 4 cruises.

In Puerto Vallarta, many people took the zip line tour - a couple of table mates did so and come back with heat exhaustion. TAKE PLENTY OF WATER WITH YOU and MAKE SURE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY FIT! We were all in our mid-40s - in good shape - and this was a tough excursion, especially in the heat and high humidity! Also, the hike up out of the rain forest after the excursion can be rainy and mudding. Also, be prepared for mosquitos! Our table mate was confined to quarters for 2 days following this adventure.

If I were to return to Mazatlan, I'd definitely take a scheduled tour - do not rely on the cab drivers to take you where YOU want to go - they have their own agenda and dropped us in front of a friends store - not where we wanted to shop! They all wanted to offer a tour of the city - always for $3 or $5 more than the stipulated $10 they are suppose to charge. ASK before you get in the cab about where you will be going.

Cabo is wonderful - but a short stop. You can parasail, jet ski and get other rentals on Mendano Beach - - costs $4 by water taxi to get there. Its a beautiful beach - long and sandy.

Sounds like you had a really great trip! Thanks for offering to answer questions so here goes...........

You mentioned that the weather was nice. How were the sea days? I have read on these boards that the first and last sea days are chilly. Did you experience that?

We sail the Pride Thanksgiving week and are looking forward to it. We have sailed a number of times on a number of cruise lines. Carnival has not disappointed us!

Also, how was the food.

Thanks!

The first day at sea was cooler but not cold by any means. The last day at sea, we had overcast skies and a few sprinkles. It was only sunny occationally and no one was really laying out on deck. We never had rough seas - at times you could feel waves but I never felt seasick - and I've been sick on 2 other cruises.

The food was good - not extravagant but good. We had a waiter we did not care for - he wouldn't bring an extra entree unless you had totally finished the first entree. We felt like bad children for not cleaning our plates - no waiter in 4 cruises ever made us feel guilty before. So, my DH and I actually ended up splitting a lobster and steak so that we could finally get a second lobster - - - very strange waiter!!

You definitely will not lose weight on this cruise!!! HA

Thank you so much for taking the time to gen us in---

Was there a must see show and or comedian?

JGB

JGB

We enjoyed all the shows - some were better than others but the song/dance shows were pretty good - the ventrioquist was great - the hypnotist was great - - the older comedian on Tuesday night was just OK - didn't care for his type of humor. We walked out of the midnight comedy show - he was just too crude (and we're in our 40's and pretty tolerant!)

JGB

Hello,

I will be on the pride in 3 weeks, Can you tell me what the time diffrence was in PV compared to ship time? Thanks so much!

On Monday night, you will be instructed to turn your clocks ahead 1 hour - you will stay on that time while in PV, Maz and Cabo - on Friday night, you will turn your clocks back one hour so you will be back on Pacific time. Ship time and land time will be the same. Hope this helps!

In Cabo, my husband went on the Chilean Bay Snokeling trip (on Carnival) and was quite pleased with a good dive. I walked on my own to the new Shopping Center (which was air conditioned!) and did some street shopping. Ate at Cabo Wabo and hightaled back to the ship. This is a very fast port day - - don't delay getting back to the ship! 3 tenders returned people to the ship AFTER we left port - and the ship actually stopped for them!

How do you get to the new Shopping Center from the tender pier? Also, where did you find the street shopping? Finally, how is the terrain? My Mom will be with me and has trouble on difficult terrain. Thanks so much for answering!!:o

Are formal nights Monday and Friday? Do they have a deck party on Puerto Vallarta night? I'm trying to figure out when to book David's supper club (if we decide to do that) but don't want to miss special events - that involve food!!!

I just booked this zip line tour for our trip on Pride in October. After reading your posts I am a little concerned. Do you know if your table mates booked their excursion through the ship or if they used a company called Canopy Tours Vallarta? Also, you mentioned the table mate being confined to his room for a few days due to mosquitos? - what was that all about? Was he ill or just sore from the excursion. This is our first port and our 10th wedding anniversary is the next day so I am not looking to max out my cruise on our first port - sighhhh

Thank you for the insight about taxi's and tour trips. I think in the other ports I will book through the ship just to be safe. Thanks.

How do you get to the new Shopping Center from the tender pier? Also, where did you find the street shopping? Finally, how is the terrain? My Mom will be with me and has trouble on difficult terrain. Thanks so much for answering!!:o

Just follow the brick walk around the marina - walk about 20 minutes to your right and you will be in front of the beautiful, air-conditioned mall. It was a very flat, easy walk.

The shopping center had many restaurants, nice stores and very cool!

Are formal nights Monday and Friday? Do they have a deck party on Puerto Vallarta night? I'm trying to figure out when to book David's supper club (if we decide to do that) but don't want to miss special events - that involve food!!!

Formal nights were Monday and Friday - although Friday was much less formal. I think everyone was hot and tired from Cabo on Friday so many did not dress up.

Friday night was the Grand Gala Buffet at midnight and the deck party was Tuesday night before arriving in PV.

It was a fun and friendly ship - - ENJOY!

I just booked this zip line tour for our trip on Pride in October. After reading your posts I am a little concerned. Do you know if your table mates booked their excursion through the ship or if they used a company called Canopy Tours Vallarta? Also, you mentioned the table mate being confined to his room for a few days due to mosquitos? - what was that all about? Was he ill or just sore from the excursion. This is our first port and our 10th wedding anniversary is the next day so I am not looking to max out my cruise on our first port - sighhhh

Thank you for the insight about taxi's and tour trips. I think in the other ports I will book through the ship just to be safe. Thanks.

They booked their Canopy Tour through the ship - she was confined to her room the next 2 days because of vomiting and exhaustion. They didn't say she had Norovirus but it could have been heat exhaustion. She said they were given no water at the end of their excursion and faced a long, hot hike up the hill. She also hurt her arm holding onto the zip line (one of your arms is behind you as you descend down the hill) Sadly, they were celerating their 2nd anniversary and also had to cancel their dinner at David's.

Hey, glad you had a good trip. Could you tell me which nights in the main dinning room the waiters do they're show?

Thanks

countdown.pl?name=DEcruiser1&date=8-12-2007&image=Beach-10&text=Almost there!&ship=Carnival Pride

Hey, glad you had a good trip. Could you tell me which nights in the main dinning room the waiters do they're show?

Thanks

countdown.pl?name=DEcruiser1&date=8-12-2007&image=Beach-10&text=Almost there!&ship=Carnival Pride

Hi - It seemed like they did a little something every night - on Thusday night, it was a little wild with a waiter doing a Ricky Martin dance - complete with a striptease act! Very funny!

The last night they sang "You're Leaving On a Jet Plane" - it was funny

We going to be on this cruise in November. I also wanted to badly do the zip line. There were two of them listed for shore excursions, one sounded more strenuous that the other. Does anyone know if the less strenuous one is not bad? My husband are both in our young 50s, my husband is more in shape than I, but this was something I was really looking forward to. I didn't want to do the one that said to bring a change of clothes because you would be going through waterfalls and such.

In Puerto Vallarta, we chose to spend the day on the beach and we took a cab to the Westin/Nikki Beach. It was a great place to swim, relax and have lunch. The food and drinks were a bit pricey (Chicken Quesadillas were $13 - margueritas were $7) but the food was delicious! The Westin did not charge us to use their facility - we just walked in and asked where we could get towels for the day and were told where to go.

Do not try to walk to this hotel! It looks close by but would take over an hour to walk in intense heat and humidity, this is NOT a wise choice!

Not really familiar with that hotel but are the Nikki Beach facilities separate or are you able to use them as well? Your help is greatly appreciated.

In Cabo, I walked on my own to the new Shopping Center (which was air conditioned!) and did some street shopping.

What type of stores were in this shopping center? Are there any nice beaches near the port in Cabo?

Thanks!