Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ajaxgalca

JUST returned TODAY from Carnival Pride - Any Questions?

We going to be on this cruise in November. I also wanted to badly do the zip line. There were two of them listed for shore excursions, one sounded more strenuous that the other. Does anyone know if the less strenuous one is not bad? My husband are both in our young 50s, my husband is more in shape than I, but this was something I was really looking forward to. I didn't want to do the one that said to bring a change of clothes because you would be going through waterfalls and such.

I just got off the Pride also and I did the zip lines, the regular Canopy Adventure that was booked through Carnival. Our table mates did the extreme canopy that went through the waterfall. They had a great time, and although their zip lines were higher, it sounds like our lines were longer (up to 770 feet). I would be very surprised to hear someone got sick on the regular canopy tour because we were given several bottles of ice cold bottled water at the beginning and end of the tour. The age range in our group was around ten years old to maybe 45. I was personally scared out of my mind on the regular canopy tour, but everyone else in the group had a fantastic time. There was a hike at the end, but it wasn't tough. I was walking fast (because I wanted the whole thing to be over! :( ) and ended up having to stop and catch my breath. But if you are used to taking walks, I don't think it would be a difficult thing for someone even in their 60's. The guides took very good care of me even though I was terrified the entire time, but every single other person loved it: so at 14-1 I think that's a pretty good recommendation!

Hi. Thanks for all of your posts! We have been on this cruise twice, but both times in January. Only hot days were at port and not that hot or humid. We are in Seattle and not used to such hot weather with heat.....put me in 100; arizona weather and I know what to pack, but this humidity thing is tough.

What to do you suggest packing to be most comfortable during the days at port and on board ship over bathing suits to go in and out for food etc...

I usually live in sun dresses here in seattle and skorts in arizona to golf with sleeveless polo type shirts? My husband is a tall guy, 6'7. someone said to pack at least two shirts to change in and out of during the days for him??

Did people dress up as much as normal for dinners or not as much due to heat during the day? Were you able to get sun bathing time on cruise days? We never can when we cruise in January. Any other packing suggestions or not to miss activities are appreciated. We were on this ship in jan 2006. It was one of my favorite cruises. thanks, Suzi

smmorgan@earthlink.net

HI. I knew I'd forget to ask something... I heard people in July had problems with jelly fish, lots of them and people getting stung on snorkle excursions and at the beachs. Did you have this problem or hear of any others on board having bad experiences? I am in my 30's and husband is in 50's (very young and fit) Thanks Suzi

I had heard about the jellyfish too and was worried. But we were in the water in Mazatlan and Cabo and never had a problem.

For clothing, I can say that I never took so many showers in my life!!! Sweat was just pouring off me when we were in port. I would say bring shorts and T's or tanks for each day on shore, and another set if you have two excursions (with time to shower in between), and then casual stuff for on board.

For dining, I didn't think anyone was too concerned with dress. There were no shorts or tanks allowed, but I saw jeans and t-shirts and also nice casual clothes. As much as everyone gets so upset on the threads here, it didn't seem to be an issue onboard. I wore capris and a nice top every day, so did my daughter, and my son had black dockers and a button down shirt - and he was on the higher scale of dress. For Formal he added a tie, and my daughter and I wore dresses, but nothing fancy. We fit right in.

For pool time I went in the morning (before the chairs filled up) and stayed until lunch. Then I was ready to do stuff inside. The last sea day was a little too windy for the pool, but still beautiful outside.

Hi. Thanks for the jelly fish info and for being so specific about the dress and weather. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear and I searched a ton of areas to find just that feedback. It's amazing how many people just say it's hot and skip over the details that would help packing and planning soooo much!

Which places areas did you go in the water(ports, hotels, beaches or tours)? It has always been too cold in Jan to go in water, but I'd love to snorkle. Was the water comfortable enough temperature (not an ice cold pool)? My husband is concerned about the sand being too hot to be in. He's a tall guy with size 16 shoe, so it's not as easy to find him aqua socks. I got these great aqua sock tennis shoes from Costco. It's so sad, he is tall white man who can't jump!!! lol

How early did you need to be pool side to get a decent chair? Did you have favorite pools? Was the water slide open(it was closed our last trip)?

Anyway, thanks again and I hope you didn't mind the question.....YOU ARE VERY HELPFUL AND APPRECIATED!! SUZI

Which places areas did you go in the water(ports, hotels, beaches or tours)?

In Mazatlan we played at the beach in front of the Hotel Playa Mazatlan (with the Beach and Shopping Excursion from Carnival). The water was WARM! We were very surprised as here in Santa Cruz, CA it's always ice cold. Then we snuba'd in Cabo and it was also warm. We were on the inside area from the arches. The helmet divers were using the same platform as ours. I think they don't let you in the water on the Pacific Ocean side because of the currents.

It has always been too cold in Jan to go in water, but I'd love to snorkle. Was the water comfortable enough temperature (not an ice cold pool)?

It was definitely warm!

My husband is concerned about the sand being too hot to be in.

The sand by the water was fine, and you set your towels right at the edge of the water. The sand up by the hotel in the sun was scorching. We had water shoes from Target but did not use them (no rocks in that area), but when I got up once to find the bathroom I thought my soles were going to burn off my feet, :eek: . Take your shoes, and you won't need them except for walking back up to the sidewalk.

How early did you need to be pool side to get a decent chair? Did you have favorite pools? Was the water slide open(it was closed our last trip)?

I went down at 8am and the chairs by the kids pool and the pool where they do the games were filling up fast (there aren't that many chairs in those areas). The deck chairs above the pool almost always had empty seats. I ended up migrating over to the adult pool on the aft side. It did fill up eventually, but it was easier to find a seat. The water slide was open! It was so fun!!!! It is right above the adult pool area so I kept looking up at it, and finally decided "I'm going on that slide!". I was only going to go once, but it was too fun (and cool!) so I went several times. The line was never long and there was an attendant there keeping it safe. Also, the slide and all the pools are salt water, so keep that in mind. It was definitely less salty than the beach at Mazatlan, but it did have salt. Go on the slide! I wasn't the only adult there, that's for sure!:D

Thank you so much for all of your info and details. As usual, it was a huge help. I'm going to start making and revising my list of what to take in the next couple of days. I'm such a big kid about going on cruises. I love them. My husband always gets excited once we've landed at the port of departure with no airline or traffic glitches! Then it's party time for him, too.

I'm definitely going to go on the slide. More than once, I'm sure! We are at the aft of the ship again, so I think I remember where the pool was above?

It's a good thing we've got some out of town visitor and a wedding to attend prior to leaving or I'd be like Tigger jumping off the walls.

Do you have a town car service that you recommend? We used the same one 3 times, but they've changed management and aren't the same friendly company. If not, we'll take a case of water in spare luggage, but it's nice to have the guy stop off so we can run inside a store.

You can email me to post or email smmorgan@earthlink.net I think we used the la shuttle service last time?? Suz

We are going on our 2nd cruise and we'll be coming from San Diego (Rosarito):cool: on Sept 2, 2007. Where is the best hotel where we can park and sail? :D

Hi. We cruise this Sunday. What a gorgeous day in Seattle....80' and a slight breeze. We took friends from Chicago out shopping and to dinner downtown. Hoping to get sunny weather from LA all the way down to Mexico and back!!

Oh how I miss the west coast. I moved from Oregon to Southern Indiana many years ago but still miss the weather. My parents married in Seattle and still have relatives there. We are looking forward to today because it is only supposed to get to 95 not the terrible 100's we have been having. 80 sounds lovely.

Have a terrific cruise. We are going on the Pride Oct 7.

:) Your post made me smile...I love our weather!! Have a great trip Schnauzermom ....and your hubby too!

We are going on our 2nd cruise and we'll be coming from San Diego (Rosarito):cool: on Sept 2, 2007. Where is the best hotel where we can park and sail? :D

I would say the best hotel to litterally park and sail would be the Queen Mary. Apparantly the ship leaves from that dock. I have a room booked the night before and they said you just go outside in the morning and you are there ready to board!

THis is from a different review I wrote from a trip to Puerto Vallarta this summer... I'll be on the Pride with you Thanksgiving week. Anyway, you asked about the zip line. Los Veranos is pretty intense...you don't want to be too afraid of heights--like me... the zip lining felt secure, it was climbing on some of those platforms that got me scared.

On trip advisor I wrote:

Canapy Los Veranos is the best. Do this. I've heard from other people who have zip-lined before that this is the best one. It's a an adventure, and the set up is really nice. Service is great. Staff funny and helpful. Longest zip is 500 feet high, 1/4 mile long. The ride out there is interesting too, as you get a different view of PV. THe monkeys are totally fun, and they have water slides into the river. Plan on staying for lunch and hanging out for hr after the zip line. Make sure you book this zip line and not the Puerto Adventuras one.

Carnival in Long Beach is doing a great job - any questions or concerns? Feel free to ask!

I CHECKED WITH THE WESTIN AND THEY SAID TO USE THEIR FACILITIES THEY WOULD CHARGE 15$ PP WE HAVE 10 IN OUR PARTY,SEEMS A LITTLE HIGH, DOES ANYONE ASK IF YOU BELONG? THANKS, GLORIA

Do you have a recommendation as to where to stay the night before the 7-day Carnival Pride cruise to the Mexican Riviera. We would also need to leave our car in a safe place for the week.

Thanks

Do you have a recommendation as to where to stay the night before the 7-day Carnival Pride cruise to the Mexican Riviera. We would also need to leave our car in a safe place for the week.

Thanks

We've stayed at the Coast Long Beach Hotel which is right next to the Carnival pier and Queen Mary (well, walking distance anyway). They have a parking package we've used twice and had no problems at all. And if you get a room with a water view, you can see the ship from your balcony/patio.

Thank you. We will try the Coast Long Beach Hotel and/or the Queen Mary packages.

Can't wait!

We were on the Pride last year in Feb. The ship is beautiful, the food was very good, the entertainment great. In PV we spent the afternoon at the Krystal Resort. We had the couples massage. It was WONDERFUL!! ($75)

1 1/2 hours. We both fell asleep. If you want a real treat go and spend the day at the resort. It is very beautiful. What a pool area, right on the beach. The best part is that it's walking distance from the ship. I'm tempted to take another cruise just for the massage. Try it!! Sharie

We were on the Pride last year in Feb. The ship is beautiful, the food was very good, the entertainment great. In PV we spent the afternoon at the Krystal Resort. We had the couples massage. It was WONDERFUL!! ($75)

1 1/2 hours. We both fell asleep. If you want a real treat go and spend the day at the resort. It is very beautiful. What a pool area, right on the beach. The best part is that it's walking distance from the ship. I'm tempted to take another cruise just for the massage. Try it!! Sharie

Hi Prescottcruisers

Although I'll do some research on Krystal Resort myself....do you know if they offer a day use pass and if so, what's included?

Off subject, based on your screen name I'm guessing you're from Northern AZ? I'm near Prescott, that's why I ask. :)