Pacific Star

rockie

I think that not knowing would be the most frustrating thing. If you knew you weren't leaving till tomorrow night or something you could just deal with it. But wondering if you will ever go would be hard.

The other thing I found hard onboard was that the announcements are made in the public areas and not the cabins. If you are talking in the cabin you miss completely. You need to have the door open to be able to hear. On our cruise the captain made a few announcements about the port swapping and delays but I missed nearly all of them because of being in the cabin or people talking in public places.

According to the ports website, Star is now due to go at 23:04 tonight - I was wondering about the 4 minutes too - I think that's just a thing they do when they know it'll be after the hour, but before the half hour - maybe, just my guess.:confused:

I guess they moved it either for safer access for divers (no ferries going past) or easier access to the wharf without innocent bystanders getting in the way - and maybe it's cheaper to park there too...

What’s happened to the Sun? (Part from some one dieing on her)

That's all I was referring to. Both cruise itineraries have been changed in the past 24 hrs, for different reasons of course.

Well I rang P&O and they said that as far as they know there is no problem with the Star so I told them that it was still in NZ and in port and does that sound alright.She Became defensive and said her manager had not told her any-thing and hung-up.

Oh! dear she had best ask some questions now because I will not be the last to ask I am sure.

I have an awefull feeling at present that Gold Coast here we come mum will like that but me :( you see we live only 3/4s of an hour from G C.

My luck is so bad at present I will not get a bed there.

Well I rang P&O and they said that as far as they know there is no problem with the Star so I told them that it was still in NZ and in port and does that sound alright.She Became defensive and said her manager had not told her any-thing and hung-up.

Oh! dear she had best ask some questions now because I will not be the last to ask I am sure.

I have an awefull feeling at present that Gold Coast here we come mum will like that but me :( you see we live only 3/4s of an hour from G C.

My luck is so bad at present I will not get a bed there.

maybe wait an hour and ring back. She might have asked some questions and have some more helpful info now that you've alerted her to the fact that one of their ships might not be ok !! Fingers and toes crossed for you :)

Looks like they might have let people off the Star - TV3 news was interviewing a few passengers and it looked like they were on the wharf. Shame about them missing Mystery Island, but it also sounds like they will miss out on the whole cruise if they can't sail tonight...

Update on this:

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/po-cruise-ship-delayed-in-new-zealand/20071408-s6m.html

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=284840

http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=407242

According to the above links the reason why the Pacific Star is delayed is because of a faulty ventilation duct.

Update on this:

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/po-cruise-ship-delayed-in-new-zealand/20071408-s6m.html

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=284840

http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=407242

According to the above links the reason why the Pacific Star is delayed is because of a faulty ventilation duct.

The company said the duct was corroded and was being repaired and passengers had been offered $NZ150 ($A135) in compensation because the cruise was now leaving an island stop in Vanuatu off its itinerary.

The ship had only just been repaired from damage it received during a wild storm in the Pacific last month.

For corroded... read RUST.

Its Pacific Sky all over again.

At least they wont let her sail unless she is safe.

Lets hope she is not impounded and refused permission

to leave port like Pacific Sky.

Talking about the rust, oop's I mean corrosion. When I saw the ship I was horrified. It looked like a refugee ship that the boat people sail in. There seemed to be no pride in what the ship looks like. Even if it is old, it should be looked after and made to look nice.

Thanks for that info. I just heard it on Leightons programme too. I would be highly brassed off if it was me. BRING BACK PACIFIC SKY I say.:) I guess they will be getting some sort of refund. When I saw the ship yesterday, I thought if there were any first time cruisers they may be a bit nervous after seeing the condition of that ship.:eek: It looks like there has been no outside maintenance on her and all the rust is most offputting. Mind you, I would have gone if I could have got through, when that man gave me the boarding pass.:) When we were on the Sky, every port we called into the crew were painting the sides and cleaning up all the dirty bits.

Except this is the same thing that happened to Pacific Sky in Brisbane in October 2004. A workmates of mine were on their Honeymoon, and spent the first 36 hrs of their 12 night cruise tied up at Pinkenba Grain terminal unable to get off the ship.

The other thing I found hard onboard was that the announcements are made in the public areas and not the cabins. If you are talking in the cabin you miss completely. You need to have the door open to be able to hear. On our cruise the captain made a few announcements about the port swapping and delays but I missed nearly all of them because of being in the cabin or people talking in public places.

I would say that announcements of this nature would probably also go over the emergency system too, which can be heard inside the cabins.

What ever he is waiting for she is not going out so I expect to hear from P&O in the next few days.

Rust or no rust I still want to go.

But I should be prepared for the worse.:(

According to the ports of Auckland website she might be going at 1:30 AM NZT

According to the ports of Auckland website she might be going at 1:30 AM NZT

Well, she is still in port and the Auckland Port website doesn't even list her now.

Sounds to me like they may have cancelled the cruise.

What's the bet....some of those media people who blasted P&O for taking her out a month ago in unsafe conditions...now complain because she DIDN'T go.

Karen

Just checked the cam and Star is still in Auckland Thursday morning. Now it's a story being carried by all tv and print here. One report said that about 100 passengers had taken full refund left the ship. I wonder what will happen today. Every interview that has been on TV has quoted the worst part is bad or no communication from P & O. When will they learn?

Den

Archived