Why Mandatory to hand luggage to porters?

jima53

Why is it that you have to hand your luggage to a porter and pay the bag fee. You don't have to do it at the airport. You can carry your bag inside. Why not at the pier. Why don't they have a drop off spot or gate/window for those of us that dislike being gouged by the porters. Can you imagine what would happen if all airline passengers had to pay a $2 fee for each bag to the porters everytime they flew. Please don't tell me it's a security issue, or because they are longshoremen,,,,, to me Ps. Im all for those that feel like they want the porter to accept their baggage. Just give us a choice that want to walk my own baggage a few feet.

Jim

Hi Jim. I'll offer my thoughts on this, since you asked.

First - It isn't just 'a few feet'. You hand your luggage over to the porters at the curb. They, in turn, load your luggage on the big luggage dollies and make sure they get on the ship. Tip $1 instead of $2 if you'd rather - there's no set 'bag fee'...it's just a tip.

Second - You can't take the luggage on the ship yourself. All carry-ons have to be able to fit into the 11x17 x-ray machine, and I doubt all your luggage is that small?

Actually, it's a security issue. When you are at the airport, you don't load your own bags on the plane - you check them with an attendent at your airline's desk. They pass the bags on.

If people could put their own bags on the racks, etc, leading to the boat, it would be too easy to plant a bomb.

Not to be alarmist -- but that's why. Now the whole 'tipping the porters' issue -- another issue altogether.

My kids asked the same thing (I know it's because they don't want to have to tip either). In addition to the reasons already listed, once you get past the lines and the desks to the famous "yellow chairs" there is barely room for the passengers and a small amount of carry on luggage. If each person added just one pilot's case, there wouldn't be enough room near the chairs (picture a movie theater or sporting event), it is pretty crowded. I told them to just budget for it and not take too many bags.

Why is it that you have to hand your luggage to a porter and pay the bag fee. You don't have to do it at the airport. You can carry your bag inside. Why not at the pier. Why don't they have a drop off spot or gate/window for those of us that dislike being gouged by the porters. Can you imagine what would happen if all airline passengers had to pay a $2 fee for each bag to the porters everytime they flew. Please don't tell me it's a security issue, or because they are longshoremen,,,,, to me Ps. Im all for those that feel like they want the porter to accept their baggage. Just give us a choice that want to walk my own baggage a few feet.

Jim

Agree with all of the above. I pay porters regardless of if they work for the airport, port authority, hotels, etc. $1 per bag... doesn't kill me, I usually have 2 bags, so $2 so they get my bags on the ship/plane/room seems very reasonable to me. Bottom line is we cannot load our own luggage on the ship... they have porters to do it, if you don't feel like tipping, that is up to you but I can't see why anyone wouldn't....

Gotta add something else.

This is not directed to the OP - but in general..... I don't know what's the big deal about tipping at least $1 per bag. I mean, most passengers have only what, one to two bags to be checked in? In the great scheme of things, we're paying a hefty price to cruise - so what is an extra two bucks?

This is something that just boggles my mind. Now I know some folks just have an issue with 'tipping in general'...but that's another can of worms.:rolleyes:

This is not directed to the OP - but in general..... I don't know what's the big deal about tipping at least $1 per bag. I mean, most passengers have only what, one to two bags to be checked in? In the great scheme of things, we're paying a hefty price to cruise - so what is an extra two bucks?

This is something that just boggles my mind. Now I know some folks just have an issue with 'tipping in general'...but that's another can of worms.:rolleyes:

I agree 100% Cotton. After what one pays to go on vacation what is a couple of bucks going to hurt? I just do not get it.

Bravo Cotton!

As Ann Landers once commented about tipping, if you cannot afford the tip, you cannot afford the trip.

I understand the OP's feelings... My last cruise, the bus pulled up right next to the big crate where the bags are put. I had to physically move my bags 4-5 feet, so that the porter could grab them and toss them into the stack. For that, I had to pay $1 per bag. I did all the work, I'd like him to tip me instead!!! I can understand if the person is actually going out of their way and taking the bags elsewhere, but all he had to do was twist his body and throw for the $250 extra he made in tips on top of the standard pay, which is probably higher than mine.

I tip outstanding in restaurants and I work in the hospitality industry- I also leave all my tips on the S&S and tip lots extra, but this particular porter situation kinda peeves me even though it's only $8-$16 for all our bags. I could pay for the taxi with that money or give extra to my room steward with it on top of the great tip, cuz they deserve the money.

Anyway, I'm really not a cheapskate on tipping, but I just want to tip where it's deserved, not expected for really no service. On my upcoming cruise, I've heard that you can tip the porter and they take your bags from quite a ways out and even bring you to the front of the line- I will tip dearly for that type of service. But, I do have an issue with the toss onto a stack thing expecting a tip. I will pay it because it's required as not to "lose" or "accidentally damage" my bags though. I'm allowed to vent here as long as you guys let me :) :)

Amen, Cotton!!! :confused:

I plan on taking carry ons only for my 3 day cruise so I cna get on the ship sooner. We were the 1st of about 10 people there for glory in may, more people started trickling in and we were suddendly forgotten and they all got to go into the terminal while we waiting. I couldve had my drink that much sooner :) I dont mind tipping as I waitress part time/ I did literally put the bag in the guys hands. the poor people who put your luggage next to your cabin should get the tip! thye work hard

I am so glad I do not need to carry my luggage on board. I have carried a small carry on aboard with me every time I cruise. I can tell you for a fact I wouldn't care to try and carry on a larger piece of luggage. Tipping? I think tipping the Porter is optional. Correct me if I am wrong. I have always tipped the Porter because I felt it was the right thing to do. Required tipping of Porter's? I don't know.

I have watched the luggage being loaded at the Tampa port. It is a huge undertaking to load all of that luggage. Do the Porter's get paid adaquately for their service? I don't know.

For me, I just think to myself "I am on vacation and I want to share the joy."

Can you imagine if they let everyone carry on their own luggage? You never know how long you have to stand in line to embark. Our first cruise took TWO hours from the time I entered the building to the time I boarded the ship. Then when you board everyone is franticly looking for their rooms in those narrow hallways, not to mention it's impossible to use the elevators! So the porters are doing you a favor! I would hope $2.00 would not break anyone too much. I have always encountered very friendly porters and never had any luggase lost or vandalized.

This is not directed at the OP but after reading this thread and many others on CC, it is no wonder why cruise lines such as NCL are starting to add a non negotiable service surcharge to the on board accounts. Too many people have it in their minds that they do not have to tip anymore. It is really sad. I fully expect the other cruise lines to watch what happens with NCL on this new policy and then follow through with the same changes. NCL was the first cruise line to implement the adding of tips to the passengers sail n sign cards. Did not take long before others followed suit.

sorry, but i didn't know you were supposed to tip those people. we've been on 2 cruises and i honestly never thought about it. we dragged our own luggage until we got to the chain link fence where we were told to put it against the wall. fortunately, it all made it on the ship in one piece. do those guys mark luggage to know who tipped & who didn't? do they not work for carnival and share in our fare & tips?

I plan on taking carry ons only for my 3 day cruise so I cna get on the ship sooner.

Hi Newbie. Just curious...How do you figure you will get on the ship sooner if you only have carry-ons? :D (Dropping your luggage with the porters takes only about a minute or two.)

The only way you can board the ship quicker is to be at the terminal really early. Oh, and be sure your carry-ons aren't any larger than 11x17. If they are, the attendants will send you back outside to check them with the porters!:eek:

if i have a bag in each hand then how in the heck am i gonna hold that beverage that i purchase at the atrium bar the moment i board???

Do like I do, have the barstaff pour in down your throat while holding on to your two bags! Works like a charm.

for those of us that dislike being gouged by the porters.

Of course with the airlines, your luggage does not show up at your hotel room door either ;)

Man, I couldn't imagine standing in line for an hour with all those people dragging their luggage along, while they try and fill out those forms at the last minute.

ps, I'd also suggest bring a grocery bag of snacks along so you don't get gouged by room service wanting a tip.

Archived