What does RCI consider a "Suite"???

2Ports

Saw an offer in the RCI brochure today offering "Suites from $409" on the Majesty out of Miami for a 4 nighter. Wanted to try RCI for a long time but always way too much $$; but we were going to be in Miami anyway. Checked 4 major online sites; all offerred "Suites from $379" for Jan 21 sailing, checked the RCI website, it said "Deluxe and Suites from $379". Called my TA quick - she said that the best price there was for a Junior Suite (the lowest category I could find) was around $550 plus fees & taxes; when I tried the booking engines on the aformentioned major onlines, JS kept popping up at $650 - $700 incl. fees & taxes. TA called RCI while on the phone with me - told them I got the info from their website - STILL wanted almost double the advertised price for JS - only cabins $379 were cat. SO - Deluxe OV (157 SF). They don't really consider that a suite, do they? Please help? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks - still want to try RCI...

On the Sovereign Class of ships, including the Majesty, they have what they call the "superior ocean view stateroom" which they lump under the "suite/deluxe" category. It is not a suite by any means. I guess it is considered deluxe since it is larger than the standard ocean view staterooms. Does not have a balcony either, and the views are obstructed. So I am not sure why they consider it a deluxe room.

No, they don't consider them a suite and I agree the wording is confusing. The Deluxe OV, although I haven't stayed in one, is supposedly a better OV. The JS has a balcony and is far nicer, but also more expensive. I guess the offset to that is that you get 2 cruise credits instead of one.

We did sail a JS on Sovereign and it was fine. My husband is claustrophobic so he needs a balcony. Look carefully at all the descriptions on various lines and make your best choice.

I am not sure why they consider it a deluxe room.
Probably because they are the only decent-sized OV rooms on the Majesty. Don't get me wrong--I've been in standard OVs twice on the Majesty and am about to do #3, but they are REALLY tiny--probably the smallest OVs on any ship on any major cruise line. But when it's $219 X 2 for a small OV versus $389 X 2 for a larger one, the larger one isn't worth it (to me, anyway).

Les

Probably because they are the only decent-sized OV rooms on the Majesty. Don't get me wrong--I've been in standard OVs twice on the Majesty and am about to do #3, but they are REALLY tiny--probably the smallest OVs on any ship on any major cruise line. But when it's $219 X 2 for a small OV versus $389 X 2 for a larger one, the larger one isn't worth it (to me, anyway).

Les

We sailed on Monarch in January for my birthday. We had about 9 cabins. Everyone else was in either an interior or a standard ocean view, but we got a JS. I saw some of the others, and trust me I am glad I did the JS. WOW those were small rooms. The JS was more like the size of our E1 balcony we had on Freedom, which was still small to me.

Les

Even the JS cabins on the Sovereign class are small but those standard OV cabins are really small. I would hate to have been on those ships when they were cruising the seven day itineraries. I could not imagine staying in a standard OV for seven nights!!!!!!!:eek:

Even the JS cabins on the Sovereign class are small but those standard OV cabins are really small. I would hate to have been on those ships when they were cruising the seven day itineraries. I could not imagine staying in a standard OV for seven nights!!!!!!!:eek:

That's kinda what I thought, but didn't want to say, exactly... :o our cabin on the Aloha was about 150 SF; we had to take turns inhaling. The concept that anyone could consider a cabin that size a "suite" just blew my mind! :eek:

Hey CG - love your videos and stuff!

That's kinda what I thought, but didn't want to say, exactly... :o our cabin on the Aloha was about 150 SF; we had to take turns inhaling. The concept that anyone could consider a cabin that size a "suite" just blew my mind! :eek:

Hey CG - love your videos and stuff!

2Ports: I believe that the expression you are looking for is: "The cabin was so small that you had to go out in the hall to change your mind."

:D

2Ports: I believe that the expression you are looking for is: "The cabin was so small that you had to go out in the hall to change your mind.":D

Let's just say that Mrs. 2Ports is, umm, well endowed in the lung area... :p

Iv been confused by the same thing. You see suites and follow the link and its nothing more than a OV with a little more space. Still not even that big of a cabin. I wish RCI would put suites, JS and up separate, so I dont get all excited for the price only to find out its a glorified OV lol.

Glorified? 157 SF?? :eek:

The regular insides are 119 sf. and the regular OVs are 121 s.f.

157 s.f. is quite roomy huh?? lololol (sorry to burst out laughing) :D

btw Im going to be in one of those regular OVs next month....so dont laugh at me.....Im going to be cruising. But that's how Im so familiar with the choices....agree with the other poster who said its a big jump up in money just for a few more s.f.

Les

Your forgeting about the other Majesty (NCLs), whose regular OV cabins are a whopping 108 sq. feet:) !! I looked into one and knew that I wouldn't be able to survive for 7 days! The superior OVs, however, were comfertable.

Well, I have to admit I have not yet stayed in such a small cabin. Hopefully, it will work out ok. The Rhapsody has lots of nooks and crannies to store stuff and Im hoping the Sovereign wouldnt be that much worse.

This will be the smallest cabin so far Iv ever stayed in though. People say things like it doesnt matter about the view, you cant stand at the window, the bed is pushed up against the window, so you have to be on the bed to see out.

OK, by today's standard the oceanviews on the Sovereign class are small, but haven't any of you guys seen the Titanic exhibit? The full suites were smaller than a JS and about $25,000 in today's dollars for a crossing (not including a lifeboat, though:o ).

We prefer a JS, but the SO categy is just fine for a 3-night cruise. If we HAVE to....

Our first cruise was twelve years ago in an inside stateroom on the Monarch. It's still the smallest cabin we've ever seen!

One of my favorite pictures is one of my 6'5" DH standing in the cabin with his arms spread out and touching the walls on either side.

Archived