Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandytoes

Sapphire Beach Review

We have been to Meagan's Bay and didn't care for it at all.

Last year we went to Coki Beach, which was superb for snorkeling.

This year we wanted to see Sapphire Beach.

Taxi will take you there for $10.00 per person.

It's about a 20 minute ride.

You can rent a lounge chair for $7 for the whole day.

There weren't any umbrellas to rent. But, there are plenty of shady spots under the sea-grape trees.

There you'll see Iguanas on the branches. They even come down to check things out.

We saw a variety of ducks, pelicans, and birds.

The view on this beach is magnificent. In the distance you'll see several mountains.

The sand is basically crushed coral. If this bothers you, bring watershoes just in case.

The water had several shades of blue and green.

Sapphire Beach has excellent snorkeling

You'll see a variety of marine life and coral formations.

Just be careful touching the coral.

I highly recommend Sapphire Beach for those who just want to

lounge, relax, and take a dip in the ocean. Or for those who truly enjoy snorkeling.

Without linking to all my photos, I have uploaded them in the next two posts.

02fd445e.jpg

158a8936.jpg

dabdbb62.jpg

0983f344.jpg

Thanks Sandytoes ! We are going there in a few weeks, and am feeling good about our decision, the pictures are great ! Can you get a drink anywhere there ? Are there watersports available?

:)

Irish708

We saw people using water floats, paddle boats & kayaks. No motorized boats. There's a gift shop where you can rent snorkel gear.

At the little concession store you can buy beer, soda, snacks. There is a little sitting area with tables and chairs under the tree.

Thank You! We went to Magen's Bay few years ago & really didn't care for it either-- it fealt closed in, stagnant. We were not sure what to do on our upcoming trip- and have decided on Sapphire thanks to your input. Are there facilities/bathrooms-- and is it a hard/long walk from taxi? Where do we tell the taxi to drop us- are there several areas/resorts? Thanks again.

Thank You! We went to Magen's Bay few years ago & really didn't care for it either-- it fealt closed in, stagnant. We were not sure what to do on our upcoming trip- and have decided on Sapphire thanks to your input. Are there facilities/bathrooms-- and is it a hard/long walk from taxi? Where do we tell the taxi to drop us- are there several areas/resorts? Thanks again.

Bathrooms are right near the concession stand.

The taxi drops you off at the entrance to the beach. Not a long walk at all.

We arranged for our taxi driver to pick us up at a certain time. But, she was there early and left with other passengers. Thankfully there were dozens of taxis waiting to take passengers back to the cruise ship.

Sapphire Beach Resort is right there. Each room has a private balcony. Looks like a really nice place to stay.

You will love Sapphire Beach. I loved Coki but Sapphire has now become my favorite. As much so, I'm thinking of staying there for a week.

Thanks for the review. Were there decent stretches of sand that are free of rocks/coral/debris, suitable for a small child to wade? Even a 20 yard long stretch of beach is enough.

We're planning on going here in any case, but I'd like to prepare my DD for the day.

Sapphire Beach is our favorite beach on St Thomas, didn't care for Magens, drove through and never stopped, too many people and several parties going on.

We spent a night at Sapphire before going to St John for a week two summers ago and now I'm making arrangements for another stay at Sapphire for a few nights next summer (again, before we go to St John for a longer stay). We stay at Sapphire Village which are the buildings behind the waterfront buildings but the unit we stay in is directly over the marina, it's a short walk to the beach and we have a fantastic view of St John off in the distance along with the other islands. Can't wait to go back!!

Thanks for the review. Were there decent stretches of sand that are free of rocks/coral/debris, suitable for a small child to wade? Even a 20 yard long stretch of beach is enough.

We're planning on going here in any case, but I'd like to prepare my DD for the day.

;) Have a look:

57525080-S-1.jpg

57691388-S.jpg

Large Variety of Sea Life

ce1e6cdd.jpg

7d53e7c7.jpg

21d80152.jpg

Your pictures are beautiful. What kind of camera did you use to shoot them. I've used the disposalable cameras in the past and haven't been happy with the pictures.

Your pictures are beautiful. What kind of camera did you use to shoot them. I've used the disposalable cameras in the past and haven't been happy with the pictures.

Fuji Single-use waterproof camera

K-mart sells them for under $7

Just be careful. I did not realize one of the cameras had a crack until I came out of the water and notice the camera case was filled with water. So, that roll was totally ruined....:(

Thanks for the picture - we had made a short stop at Sapphire last October after a tour with Sunny .... This time we will grab a cab and spend the day. Any idea on how much the floating mats cost? Can you get them at the same place.

If I read things correctly ... can't get lunch only snacks (pkged?) Last year we discovered Carib beer (we aren't big drinkers, but enjoyed sampling different beers.

Thanks again for the pictures .... can't wait until next August! Jan

Thanks for the picture - This time we will grab a cab and spend the day. Any idea on how much the floating mats cost? Can you get them at the same place.

If I read things correctly ... can't get lunch only snacks (pkged?) Last year we discovered Carib beer (we aren't big drinkers, but enjoyed sampling different beers.

Thanks again for the pictures .... can't wait until next August! Jan

Not sure how much the floats cost.

I usually pack my own (blow-up type).

My DH always tries the local. He bought Presidente, which we are familiar with from our Dominican Republic vacation.

I think it cost around $5.

Sorry, not to sure if they did serve lunch or not.

Spent most of my time snorkeling and enjoying the beautiful beach.

Jan,

Yes, they do serve lunch and the beer cost $3

Thanks for the great & pictures. We'll be there soon & planning to go to Sapphire Beach. I was hoping I made a good beach choice & it sounds like I may have! Thanks again!

Hi and thanks for the review. We have hired Godfrey for a little shopping, Mountaintop and then Sapphire. Could you expand a little on the activities. Did you see any parasailing - that is our main reason for going to Sapphire.:)

Thanks in advance:cool:

No para-sailing or any power boats. Which made the beach even more of a tranquil, quiet beach.

Also, I forgot to mention. There were no locals asking to braid your hair or selling beads.

There was a "No Soliciting" sign.

Just a comfortable and serene to beach enjoy.

our ship doesnt leave until 8 pm (back on ship by 7)...what time would you think would be a good time to catch a cab back to ship with no worries?

ravenjls,

Only you can say for sure.

I don't know when the concession stand closes.

But, I always allow enough time to get back to the ship just in case the cab breaks down or to shop a little.

Sandytoes...Thanks for posting the pics and the review. We are sailing on the CB in 9 days...woohoo. We have booked a tour with Godfrey..shopping, tour and beach. We have requested Coki beach, but your review makes me consider changing that choice. You have been to both....can you compare and contrast them for us...pros and cons of each. Thanks....can't wait to hit the high seas and looks like we will just miss Dean :)

We went last year with Sunny Liston's trip. It was later afternoon and no one asked any of our group to pay for chairs and we used them for two hours...lucky for us. There is a store where you can buy drinks and snacks and the beach was beautiful. As already stated no one bothered us at all, no loud music just ocean noises. It was so peaceful and relaxing.

One negative...the ladies bathroom needed to be cleaned, alot of paper and such on the floor and very wet and yucky. A word of advice,,,wear flops.

Missygirl

The view on this beach is magnificent. In the distance you'll see several mountains...

Sapphire Beach has excellent snorkeling

You'll see a variety of marine life and coral formations.

/quote]

as an fyi..those mountains are the islands of St, John, Tortola and Jost Van Dyke...

as far as marine life, there is a sea turtle family that lives right there in the cove - they are beautiful creatures that allow you to swim up to them fairly close.

Thanks for the great info and pics. My sister and I will be cruising with our elderly mother, and a peaceful, beautiful beach, free of power boats and other motorized toys, sounds divine.