Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

szube56

First time cruise

My husband and I will be taking our very first cruise next July on the Zaandam to Alaska for our 25th anniversary. Any suggestions or tips anyone can provide would be appreciated and helpful (on excursions, cabins, etc.)

Also, my husband is concerned about motion sickness. He wears the wrist bands which have helped on most occasions. Does anyone have any suggestions for him on this.

Thanks!!! :)

Hi, Szube56!:) How exciting for you to be celebrating 25 years of marriage on your first cruise! If you're interested, Holland America does offer a Renewal of Wedding Vows ceremony. Here's a link for that.

There is a great forum here on Cruise Critic, the Ports of Call forum. The Alaska Ports of Call board is chock full of all kinds of great information. Click here for the link there.

As for cabin, that depends on your budget. If you have a good travel agent, he/she can answer a lot of questions for you, and steer you in the right direction.

Best of luck to you in your research,

Karin

My husband and I will be taking our very first cruise next July on the Zaandam to Alaska for our 25th anniversary. Any suggestions or tips anyone can provide would be appreciated and helpful (on excursions, cabins, etc.)

Also, my husband is concerned about motion sickness. He wears the wrist bands which have helped on most occasions. Does anyone have any suggestions for him on this.

Thanks!!! :)

Welcome to the board and to crusing! It's a great way to vacation!

Regarding Motion Sickness. Alaska is usually not too bad about motion, so I wouldn't be too concerned. One can get Meclizine from the front desk, or can just take some bonnie with them. If he's really concerned, a prescription for Scopace (the oral form, not the patch) is a possibility. However, check with your doctor (you'll need to do that anyway, for a prescription, if you want to try Scopace). Some people shouldn't take that drug.

Welcome to the boards! Our first cruise was on the Zaandam to Alaska also. I would suggest you get a cabin midship - less motion. Our son is prone to motion sickness and, on the Alaskan cruise there was only 1 day when he felt queasy - he took 1/2 of a bonine tablet once and that was all he needed. The cruise is great - Zaandam is beautiful! You will love it.

Renewal of Vows is well worth the extra expense - it is done very nicely!

Congrats & good luck - you chose a great cruise line and a great ship!

Aloha szube56...... my husband and I are on the Amerstdam in Sept for our 25th Anniversary cruise to Alaska:D . We will be doing the Renewal of Vows ceremony...... We'll let you know how it is...

FYI these boards have GREAT INFO. Use your "search forum" for alot of topics. I have gained so much insight that I know our trip in 25 days is going to be fabulous. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Aloha

Mauitraveler

PS..... this is also our first cruise and we splurged for SB deluxe veradah suite (end corner). If any way to splurge on balcony, you should. According to most, if anywhere to have a balcony, its Alaska.

aloha

mauitraveler

Crisp: Congratulations on your upcoming wedding anniversary, that is quite an accomplishment. Welcome to the world of cruising and the CC boards. Being prone to motion sickness myself, I sympathize with your husband. My remedies: I take Bonine or the generic 1 tablet each night before I go to bed from the night before the cruise until a night or two after I come home. I carry the wrist bands with me in case of high seas. This trip I'm packing candied ginger and I usually drink ginger ale. Have a super cruise.

Hi, Szube56!:) How exciting for you to be celebrating 25 years of marriage on your first cruise! If you're interested, Holland America does offer a Renewal of Wedding Vows ceremony. Here's a link for that.

There is a great forum here on Cruise Critic, the Ports of Call forum. The Alaska Ports of Call board is chock full of all kinds of great information. Click here for the link there.

As for cabin, that depends on your budget. If you have a good travel agent, he/she can answer a lot of questions for you, and steer you in the right direction.

Best of luck to you in your research,

Karin

Thanks Karin. I will check out the links you suggested. Sunday night before I posted the message, I had spent some time looking around the site.

My sister-in-law's cousin is a travel agent so she is putting things together for the group. Right now I guess HAL has the verandah cabins blocked, but if we can book enough cabins in the group, it sounds like there may be a chance we can get a room with a verandah.

Sarah

Crisp: Congratulations on your upcoming wedding anniversary, that is quite an accomplishment. Welcome to the world of cruising and the CC boards. Being prone to motion sickness myself, I sympathize with your husband. My remedies: I take Bonine or the generic 1 tablet each night before I go to bed from the night before the cruise until a night or two after I come home. I carry the wrist bands with me in case of high seas. This trip I'm packing candied ginger and I usually drink ginger ale. Have a super cruise.

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the tips. I have passed them along to my husband and he thinks they are good ideas.

Sarah

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the tips. I have passed them along to my husband and he thinks they are good ideas.

Sarah

Aloha szube56...... my husband and I are on the Amerstdam in Sept for our 25th Anniversary cruise to Alaska:D . We will be doing the Renewal of Vows ceremony...... We'll let you know how it is...

FYI these boards have GREAT INFO. Use your "search forum" for alot of topics. I have gained so much insight that I know our trip in 25 days is going to be fabulous. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Aloha

Mauitraveler

Aloha Mauitraveler,

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary!! I definitely will be doing a lot more research. Please let me know how your cruise goes.

If I hadn't been to Hawaii a few times in the past, that probably would have been my first choice. Maui is my favorite island, it is so pretty. We haven't been there is a while and I have been getting an itch to go back.

Thanks again and have a fabulous cruise.

Sarah

Welcome to the boards! Our first cruise was on the Zaandam to Alaska also. I would suggest you get a cabin midship - less motion. Our son is prone to motion sickness and, on the Alaskan cruise there was only 1 day when he felt queasy - he took 1/2 of a bonine tablet once and that was all he needed. The cruise is great - Zaandam is beautiful! You will love it.

Renewal of Vows is well worth the extra expense - it is done very nicely!

Congrats & good luck - you chose a great cruise line and a great ship!

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the midship cabin. I was searching the site and came across info on that so glad to hear it worked well. Thanks for the firsthand endorsement of the Zaandam and we definitely will check out the renewal of the vows.

Sarah

Have a great time and welcome to cruising...we first cruised with inside cabins as they were the least expensive and I always had to get 2 cabins (3 children) We now cruise without the children so generally get a balcony and we only have to book the one cabin...we do miss having the kids with us. It is most true that after the balcony it is hard to go back to the inside :(

The Inside Passage is known as pretty good for motion sickness. However, one of our cruises to Alaska came down outside of Vancouver Island, and we hit some really rough seas. So it can happen.

My DW uses the ReliefBands. This FDA approved device looks like a watch, and you wear it in contact with the accupressure point on the wrist. It puts out a small electric current. DW says she can feel her finger tingle when it works. She is very happy with it.

For reports on some of our Alaska cruises, check out our website in my sig.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I'll add my 2 cents since motion sickness was a concern for me before my 1st cruise. When we went RT out of Vancouver, there was very little motion (as we'd been assured) because we were not in open ocean for most of the cruise. However, on one of our last nights we must have gone into open water and there WAS motion (when the water in the pool is splashing out on either side, that is motion to me). I did not take any meds and just suffered that night! (I didn't know that I could get Bonine from the front desk).

Our RT cruise from Seattle this month had more open ocean cruising than our previous AK cruise so this time I was prepared! I took Bonine the night before our cruise and every night during (cuts down on drowsiness). I took sea bands along just in case (but never took them out of the package). It worked like I charm! When others were leaving the dining room I felt fine.

I hope you enjoy your 25th Anniversary on board a HAL ship as much as we enjoyed ours!!! (Mauitraveler....same goes for you! You will love the Amsterdam and if you haven't already read my review, be sure to take a look before Sept 12).

Holly:)

The patch didn't work for me, had a bad side effect....I also tried the wrist bands, didn't work. Bonnine worked great for my DH & myself....we took 2 non drowsy each day, we rocked & rolled in a bad storm coming home, didn't phase us at all....... Happy cruising:)

Lynne:)

P.S. "Happy Anniversary"