Aqua Safari Camera

Polecat

We had 2 people on our roll call that had this camera (it's the new waterproof Olympus right?). I know that one couple did the aqua safari and used their camera without any problems. Another couple didn't do the aqua safari, but did have some leakage with their camera. I don't know how deep they were using it though.

Sorry I can't be of more help. The Aqua Safari was well worth it, you'll have a great time.

We went in July and used the camera...and it worked great. They take you down somewhere in the 15 - 20 ft range so it was fine. The scuba diver that is down there with you took our camera and got some pictures of a huge barricuda and an eel which came out good. There were also a ton of sting rays and a large assortment of fish.

One thing to remember is to rinse off the camera in fresh water after use. We just put the camera in a plastic zip lock bag and added bottled water and let it soak (opening and closing the lens a few times) for about 5 - 10 minutes and didn't have any problems.

I own the Olympus 770SW camera and although I did not use it for the aqua helmet dive, I did use it alot while in FP. I did not exceed depths of say 5-10 feet while swimming. The camera worked great and the photos and video clips came out nice.... but....

Then, I loaned the camera to my brother who used it for 5 minutes in the caribbean and the camera failed. It stopped working altogether. I sent it off to Olympus for repair as it was only three months old and under warranty and two days later I received a brand new camera in the mail. I am going back to FP in November and am worried about this camera. After two weeks of usage and caring for it "by the book" it was obviously a defective product. Even though I have another now, I am thinking of just buying a Sony with an underwater housing kit.

Good luck, I am sure you'll be fine with yours, but I wanted others to know about this.

We're off to FP next week and I've just bought this camera specifically for this trip. I've only tested it underwater so far in a bucket of water !! but it seemed to work fine. Anyone recommend doing anything else with it before we go ? The normal 'dry' pictures have come out great by the way.

Still can't get used to putting a regular digital camera underwater though :o

• 3 weeks later...

We used the camera in Mexico and it takes great pictures both under water and on land. The problem we have is in the bright sun light on the beach we can't see anything but blackness on the monitor. I realize that this problem is not limited to Olympus, but has anyone found a good way to get around this problem. The local camera shop suggested and item called a "Pop-Up Shade". Has anyone tried one and did it work? Thanks in advance.

Archived