Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ocruise

Greetings from the Golden - Part II

Hi again. We are in Barbados & I had to buy another internet card, a great rate $4.00 for 20 minutes. It's the internet/phone place right in the terminal. By the way, do all your shopping in the terminal at Barbados. First of all, the shopping in downtown Barbados is nothing special, we took a cab to broad street & were surprised at how few touristy stores were there. Also, there were a few skelly guys that came up to me & my husband, put necklaces on us (without asking) & then demanded $35.00 for them! We took them off & said a firm no thanks, but these guys were very aggressive & kept bothering my husband to give them money, following us, yelling, hey! we have to eat tonight, man! It was terrible, we have been to many islands in the caribbean, always explore & never felt thretened before. We do not recommend the shopping in downtown Barbados at all. We found nicer stuff that was the same price as the few tourist stores we encountered downtown, so don't worry about paying more in the terminal.

On a positive note in Barbados, we did a great excursion through the ship, swim with the turtles & shipwreck snorkel. We loved our guides & had a blast! Free rum punches & sodas, they even took us to Carlisle Bay for a 1/2 hour, what a beautiful white-sand beach. This was the best excursion we have ever been on! They take you to three places, this was well worth the 60.00 per person.

We bought the soda cards for 22.50 a person because the only free drinks they serve are water and a stroing unsweetened ice tea that takes abut 6 sugar packets to taste decent! The soda card is worth it, because it is unlimited (except for room service for some strange reason), but I think Princess should at least serve lemonade & fruit punce for free like every other cruise line that we have ever been on. It almost forces you to buy a soda card, if you know what I mean.

We love our Aloha deck balcony because they are so private, no one can see us from above. When I look down, everyone who had a balcony below our deck 12 is fully exposed. We love sleeping with the door open, how beautiful!

We are having such a great time! We are so hooked on personal choice dining and the excellent food on Princess that we know we will definately be sailing them again!

Right now I just want to enjoy this week sailing the Southern Carribbean, tomorrow St. Lucia!

I'll post when I get back!

Marina

Marina:

Hope you enjoy St. Lucia, it was my wife's favourite island on the Classic So. Caribbean. As for 'touristy' shops in Bridgetown, I don't know where you were looking, but I must have passed two dozen in the shopping malls in town, around Broad street. I would up laden with crappy Barbados magnets, hats, t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc, making me hopeful every island would be that easy to find souvenirs!!

-bb123

It's probably too late but be sure to try Banks, the beer of Barbados!

I just thought I would throw that in because I rarely get a chance to

Marina,

Don't forget to sign up for a future cruise and get extra ship board credit before

you leave the ship since it is apparent you will be cruising with Princess again.