Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PH8

Need any and all info on Playa Del Carmen

We have been planning all our activities for our RCCL Jewel cruise(Nov 11th) for a long time.......had all the ports figured out........but now since Costa Maya got hit by Dean, we are going to Playa Del Carmen. We have to start from scratch now on figuring out what to do.I know absolutley nothing about this port.

We will be there from 7am till 7pm and tendering in. Is the town right as we get off the tender or do we need to take a taxi??

Are any of the Mayan ruins close by to do in our timeframe?? Or maybe we should just "beach it" for the day with some cervazas and nachos??:p Best snorkeling???

Any really neat stuff we shouldnt miss or stuff we shouldnt do???

Thank you all.:)

Here's my two cents worth. Tulum is the closest major ruin, 30? miles away. Nice beautiful setting, not great ruins, the beach used to be fantastic, but have heard they lost some to the hurricane. I believe you should dock right in town in Playa. I think they got the dock rebuilt from their hurricane 2 years ago which destroyed it. Really no snorkling at Playa, the reef is too far out. You can book a trip in Playa where they will boat you south to snorkling. Dive Mike shop is great. If you want to do your own snorkle trip, rent a car and go to Akumal, 15? miles south. Great snorkling there. If you decide to "beach it" Mamitas has beach chairs, umbrellas, cervasas, etc. nice beach. Fifth avenue is fun shopping if you like to walk a gauntlet of people trying to get you into their shop. Playa is a fun town! Try iloveplaya or playainfo for more info.

We've taken several week long vacations at PDC. They have a very pretty beach (but don't know what impact if any Dean had). PDC is great for shopping for silver jewerly - tons of stores as well as local crafts. I've been to Tulum - good, glad I went but don't need to go back

If you're going with a family - I might suggest going to Xcaret. It's a park with lots of things to do (cave snorkel is a fav of mine) IMO better than Xel Ha which is basically just floating down a river in a tube.

If you want to consider a true cenote snorkle trip try Hidden Worlds. Great website, the water is so clear it's like swimming through air. Try to go early before sediment gets kicked up by people with fins that are not careful. The water is chilly, but they give you wetsuits with your trip. I think the fist tour is 9:30 or 10:00. It is south of Playa, just south of Akumal just off the 307 highway. I dove it, one of my neatest dive experiences.

I really do appreciate all the help so far........

I looked up Xcaret and from what I saw,its like $50 dollars just to get in???? That seems awfully high to me.......

Gonna check out Hidden Worlds now.........

Chichen-itza too far????

Chichen Itza too far, do it on another trip. The best way is to fly into Cancun, take the tollway to Chichen, spend the night there. go to the ruins early the next morning before all the tour buses get there. Great camera shots, no people, leave when it gets hot and all the buses get there. Go back to your hotel, have a nice swim and head to Playa, Akumal, Tulum or wherever.

Chichen Itza too far, do it on another trip. The best way is to fly into Cancun, take the tollway to Chichen, spend the night there. go to the ruins early the next morning before all the tour buses get there. Great camera shots, no people, leave when it gets hot and all the buses get there. Go back to your hotel, have a nice swim and head to Playa, Akumal, Tulum or wherever.

Completely agree, but I'd spend a 2nd night in order to visit Uxmal the 2nd morning.

We just returned from Playa Del Carmen post Dean. They have no visible damage. The beach was great, water was clear. Did the beach thing & had a great day.

Ok, scratch the ruins.........thinking now maybe a beach day???

Any AI resorts let you in?? Or any beach info would be great........

We just returned from Playa Del Carmen post Dean. They have no visible damage. The beach was great, water was clear. Did the beach thing & had a great day.

Which beach did you goto?

Which beach did you goto?

Kathy- Are you getting any feel for Playa Del Carmen? I am back at the pass trying to plan Cozumel. Know zip about this port but want to see the area, shop etc. I noticed from some of your other entries that you have folks in their 70's. I also have some folks with us in that age range. YIKES. Not sure what to do girl:confused:

Diane

Right now,we're thinking beach,Diane........the inlaws are not coming on this cruise after all........

You need to stop by the roll calls......the JW one we're doing the horse race,if you want to join us......

Cozumel,doing the cooking class........

If you want to do any tour at all you have to go with Edventures. They are the best!!!! Read the post on here about them. They will do whatever you want them too. Very good price for the whole day. It was $70 pp for us.

Ok,RCCL just opened the excursions up for our day in PDC.............Chichen Itza is one of them........My husband who really wants to go,thinks we should take it since who knows if we will ever be back in that area..........

I have been once and really dont mind going again.............

How are the roads?? Isnt it like a 3 hour bus ride each way???

How are the roads?? Isnt it like a 3 hour bus ride each way???

If I'm not mistaken, it is a 2 hour ride each way. So far my DW has seen one ruin and doesn't care about seeing another, but when and if we ever go back to Progreso, I'll have to go to Chichan Itza.

Hdawson likes Uxmal. Maybe I'll have to make 2 more trips to Progreso.:rolleyes:

I have been to a few ruins....Tulum......the pyramids in Mexico City,ChichenItza......Altun ha in Belize..........and by far,ChichenItza is the most impressive.........at least to me......................

I have been to a few ruins....Tulum......the pyramids in Mexico City,ChichenItza......Altun ha in Belize..........and by far,ChichenItza is the most impressive.........at least to me......................

Parrothead, I'm sorry about my other post. I stated that it was a 2 hour trip. It is from PROGRESO. It is at least a 3 hour from Calica. Lo siento.

Calica-PDC essentially the same.

You're looking at 3 hrs each way on the bus.:eek:

Way I look at it....3 hours is a whole lot closer than coming from Ocala,FL..:p Might as well go since we're so close........

Bu what about from PDC??

Calica is a rock quarry where the ship docks. Well, it doesn't really dock, it ties up there. PDC is a town a few miles away where the great food, shopping and beaches are. Xcaret is between PDC and Calica.

Im confused.....says we(RCCL) are tendering in PDC...........I know Carnival tenders in Calica.......ya think its the same??

PDC is all new to RCCL so I dont have anyone to ask that has gone yet..........

Ok,decided not to spend 6 hours on a bus in an area we have never been.......want to see the town......and maybe the beach........Mamitas is right there,right??

I could do both easy enough???:confused: