Starbright7966

Tulum questions HeLp!!!!

I am going to Tulum next week and have a few questions

How hard is it to get to the beach from the top of the cliff?

Are there stairs, if so are there a lot?

Also is there anyway to the beach with out climbing stairs?

My aunt just had a knee replacement, so she has trouble with stairs. She can walk great and for hours but stair are harder. Do you think she will be ok?

Cozumel is a replacment port for Costa Maya, so i have not had much time to research, I leave Sunday.

Thanks for all your info.

My aunt just had a knee replacement, so she has trouble with stairs. She can walk great and for hours but stair are harder. Do you think she will be ok?

Cozumel is a replacment port for Costa Maya, so i have not had much time to research, I leave Sunday.

Not hard at all to get to the beach. Yes, there are stairs. Don't know of a way without the stairs but you might want to ask one of the guides. Have a great trip!!

As you enter the site, if you go to the left of the most prominent structures you will simply walk onto the beach. If you go to the right, you will walk onto the cliff. I don't think there were stairs there when we visited, but a lot of things change. The area to the left--the northern end of the site--is where they theorize that trading canoes entered and left the site in Mayan times. No cliffs allowed! I'm sure your tour guide will be happy to take you on the easiest path! Once you are on the beach, of course, you can walk from end to end of the site--below the cliff--on the beautiful sand beside the beautiful water. Don't forget to take water with you--there isn't much shade!

I just got back from my cruise yesterday to cozumel... the ships excursion to tulum was canceled because the roads to the ruins were washed out...people could still go to xel-ha but not the ruins ..just want to pass on the infoso you could be aware... you might want to find out more info

That is a major highway to the south, and it will have to be repaired very quickly if it is possible to do so at all--but it may also be an indication of serious damage to the site at Tulum as well, as beach erosion must have been terrific, and the beach there is not wide. Great chunks of the limestone mainland had already broken off and fallen onto the sandy beach at Tulum on the cliff end of the site when I visited, and that was several years and hurricanes ago.

The Mayan ruins at Xel-Ha are much older than those at Tulum, and are farther inland to the north of Tulum, so if you have an opportunity to visit them I would do so. Unfortunately I have not yet been there myself.

:eek: Any road damage farther south, on the way to Tulum, will also knock out shore excursions to Muyil, which is farther south than Tulum on the same highway. That would leave Xel-Ha and Coba as potentially viable shore excursion destinations, for those of you interested in Mayan ruins but not planning to fly to Chichén Itzá.

I am very sorry for any of you whose plans to visit Tulum or Muyil have been affected, and I hope the damage has not been too great. The forces of nature are hard to argue with, and the erosion of coastlines is obviously older than recorded time. Poor flaca!

Sorry to hear about the Tulum cancellations. It is such an interesting place to visit. Last time I was there they were working on improving the highway. Sounds like it did not hold up to a hurricane though.

I just got back from my cruise yesterday to cozumel... the ships excursion to tulum was canceled because the roads to the ruins were washed out...people could still go to xel-ha but not the ruins ..just want to pass on the infoso you could be aware... you might want to find out more info

This is very helpful to know - thanks for posting! Did you get any idea if it was damage that would be repaired any time soon (assuming no futher damage from another storm)?

Starbright do you have an update. What did you think?

Still waiting for an update on your Tulum trip.

I am thinking about it for April.

Is it worth the 7 hour trip?

I don't know what your itinerary is, but from Calica we took the Tulum/Xel-Ha excursion. We spent 1 1/2 hrs. at Tulum and then went to Xel-Ha for about 3 1/2 hours. You can relax on the beach there, snorkel, drift in an innertube. There is a restaurant there as well. They have a web site to give you a better idea. It was beautiful there.

Still waiting for an update on your Tulum trip.

I am thinking about it for April.

Is it worth the 7 hour trip?

We just went last week - if you're interested in Mayan ruins it's definitely worth the 7 hour trip. As a matter of fact, that didn't seem like enough time to me! But I suspect our time was cut short due to the fact that for some reason it took forever to allow people to leave the ship that morning - we were supposed to leave at 9:15 or something like that, meaning get out there by 9, but instead we couldn't leave until after 9:30 I believe.