Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Felix

3 of the 5 projected tracks now push Felix on a more southerly track. There's a lot of good news in that. The southerly track will cause it to miss Belize City and most of the Western Caribbean ports.

Bad news is that Honduras and Nicaragua will probably both get smacked. But the sooner it makes land fall, the sooner it weakens and fewer people get hurt.

Wonderful display you have there. You must be an avid train collector. I would not have known it was a hobby, if I had not ready your entry notes. So life like, and could fool someone into thinking they were real. Which I must be honest, this is what I though when I saw the first photo.

Good Job.

Felix is currently a Category 3 storm and it's projected track continues to drift slowly South:

Felixtrack-1.gif

It now appears as though Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua is the most likely landfall.

Belize should be spared the brunt of the force of the storm as it will likely rapidly diminish in strength once it makes landfall. Should the current trend continue Felix will remain on land and dissipate quickly.

weather channel & HLN in the last hour proclaimed Felix still a category 5,

The hotshot weather guy from TWC Jim C is on his way to Belize City for film @ 11;)

Announcer noted that when last hurricane of this scope ravaed Hondourus in 1998 (?) it set the country's infrastructure back 30 years.:(

a missed port for us pales in comparison to their misery:o

weather channel & HLN in the last hour proclaimed Felix still a category 5,

The hotshot weather guy from TWC Jim C is on his way to Belize City for film @ 11;)

Announcer noted that when last hurricane of this scope ravaed Hondourus in 1998 (?) it set the country's infrastructure back 30 years.:(

a missed port for us pales in comparison to their misery:o

IMO it could regain the strength - I think it was going through an eye wall replacement cycle and that is why the winds are down....its going through some warm waters right now and it could get back to a CAT 5 at landfall which would be the first time that ever happened that two cat 5's made landfall as a cat 5.

Also the 98 storm was Hurricane Mitch - it killed 11,000 people. It was dumped tons of rain and moved very slowly once it hit land....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Mitch

I didn't realize this: Mitch was also responsible for the loss of the Fantome windjammer sailing ship owned by Windjammer Barefoot Cruises; all 31 of the crew perished. The story was recorded in the book The Ship and The Storm by Jim Carrier. The ship, which was sailing in the center of the hurricane, experienced up to 50 foot (15 m) waves and over 100 mph (160 km/h) winds, causing the Fantome to sink off the coast of Honduras.[19]

thanks for the link, very informative

must admit that while we've followed past storm seasons, our interest has increased since Katrina.

Additionally, a few years ago bought into DVC, now we hold our breath afraid of property damage and increased dues; nothing compared to loss of life or limb.:(

News now states they are urging evacuation of locals used the term "run, don't walk":eek:

IMO it could regain the strength - I think it was going through an eye wall replacement cycle and that is why the winds are down....its going through some warm waters right now and it could get back to a CAT 5 at landfall which would be the first time that ever happened that two cat 5's made landfall as a cat 5.

Also the 98 storm was Hurricane Mitch - it killed 11,000 people. It was dumped tons of rain and moved very slowly once it hit land....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Mitch

I didn't realize this: Mitch was also responsible for the loss of the Fantome windjammer sailing ship owned by Windjammer Barefoot Cruises; all 31 of the crew perished. The story was recorded in the book The Ship and The Storm by Jim Carrier. The ship, which was sailing in the center of the hurricane, experienced up to 50 foot (15 m) waves and over 100 mph (160 km/h) winds, causing the Fantome to sink off the coast of Honduras.[19]

I'm betting that it will make landfall as a moderate 4, at best. The compact size and intensity of the storm makes it prone to weakening. By mid afternoon tomorrow it likely will be a tropical storm.

If Felix fails to make it back to open water it will be nothing more than a irritant by Thursday.

Certainly, my thoughts and prayers go out to those in Felix's path.

Anyone know where Felix wound up? I pray it was not Belize or any of the ports for that matter. Those people are so poor, :( and things are just beginning to happen for them, with the ships coming in.

Luv's Crusin'

Anyone know where Felix wound up? I pray it was not Belize or any of the ports for that matter. Those people are so poor' date=' :( and things are just beginning to happen for them, with the ships coming in.

Luv's Crusin'[/quote']Honduras......It's on the news.....But it's not there yet. Going to stay over land and fizzle...not going north....

As for the ports...people that live away from the ports are poor also....

Felix will make landfall shortly very close to Puerto Cabeza in Nicaragua.

Fortunately, this is a fairly sparsely populated area.

Let's offer our thoughts and prayers for those poor folks in the storms path.

jessemon,

I'm sorry, I realize that the other residents are poor also. Thats why the ports need to stay up and running. I'm sure some of the money filters into the

area all around the ports.

Luv's Crusin'

The only cruise ship stop directly threatened by Felix at the moment is Roatan. Hopefully Felix will pass south of Roatan over the mainland causing the center to weaken and reducing the storm surge. Felix is due to make landfall along the Nicaraguan-Honduran border later today.

Felix lnded about an hour ago in Nicaragua. He his south of the border with Hondorus, further south than I believe they expected as of about 10 hours ago, by at least a few miles. As Machman said it is a sparsley populated area which is good from a loss of life situation, however it is more remote so it will take longer before we know who if anyone was injured or worse.

It appears as if the eye will stay well inland which is a blessing for Roatan most likely. Can't say 100% for sure until it blows by. I'd expect by dinner time tonight we will know a lot more about our port of call Roatan as well as the folks in eastern Nicaragua and Honduras.

One reporter in Le Cebia (sp?) is standing outside and the weather there is still just overcast. I guess the day is only going to get worse there. The scary thing is the mountains which will send all the rain running downhill and that could cause floods and mud slides which are likely the most dangerous aspect of what may happen in Honduras.

Pray for them!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the concerned posts and great questions. I just wanted to remind everyone that Cruise Critic's own Hurricane Zone is an excellent resource. Bookmark this link (you'll also find it at the top of this forum) to stay up to date on the season's storms. This includes any itinerary changes being announced:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/hurricane.cfm

Melissa Baldwin

Senior Editor

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in another post, your comments and questions here have been fantastic. We hope that you'll use Cruise Critic's own Hurricane Zone as a resource for storm information -- we post daily updates on port closures, itinerary changes, etc. as needed. Here's the link (it is also accessible at the top of this forum): http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/hurricane.cfm

Safe travels,

MelissaB

Senior Editor

Nicaragua's largest port is Corinto, which is on the Pacific. No major ports are on the Caribbean side. Infact Nicaragua's Caribbean coast is called the Mosquito coast. It is far less populated than the Pacific and the areas around Lake Nicaragua. I do not believe any cruise lines make regular port calls in Nicaragua.

For the poster who asked about Nicaragua: The lesser known port of San Juan Del Sur there -- a call on Panama Canal winter itineraries for lines like Azamara, Silversea, Holland America and Windstar -- is out of the storm's direct path at this point as it is on the opposite (southwest) coastline.

We'll be posting information on damages as soon as we receive it. We're hoping for the best....

Hi Curtis,

Hurricane Felix has spared Belize, and is now pounding our neighbors in Honduras and Nicaragua with high winds and a disastrous level of rainfall. It is expected that rain bands from the north side of Felix will hit Belize, most likely heaviest in the south, with gradually lower levels further north, with some gusting winds, around Wednesday night into Thursday. We are at the moment calling primary and secondary schools back into classes starting tomorrow, Wednesday, 5 September. This is a clear indication that the authorities consider the danger over. NEMO, our National Emergency Management Organization, which is headed by the Prime Minister, with military and civil service elements at various levels, have announced no casualties or damage whatsoever so far from FELIX, but there are 1,700 families in the north (Corozal particularly) in dire need – they were hit by Dean a couple weeks ago. All in all, we have been once again extremely lucky here in Belize, but we are east with caution and prayers, as the hurricane season still has until 30 November, and so far, the forecasters have been very accurate in their projections of how many storms will turn into hurricanes, and category 5 hurricanes at that. We now look forward to the resumption of cruise activity in Belize, as we hope our port will remain on the itineraries of the cruiselines’ schedules. Allready, we have word that Carnival’s Legend will not be in the Belize Port this week. Valor was also scheduled to visit Belize this week.

Major Tom

Thanks for the update from Belize, Major Tom. Do let us know if you receive any word from Roatan. We'll post information on how that island fared as soon as we receive it.

Major Tom has been keeping me posted on this as much as possible and has assured me he will update if any signifcant changes arise... I will ask him for a report on Roatan next time we communicate.

Glad to help and pass on the info from Major Tom

I'm betting that it will make landfall as a moderate 4, at best. The compact size and intensity of the storm makes it prone to weakening. By mid afternoon tomorrow it likely will be a tropical storm.

If Felix fails to make it back to open water it will be nothing more than a irritant by Thursday.

Certainly, my thoughts and prayers go out to those in Felix's path.

please don't take this wrong - but can I get your bets for this Saturdays college football games? I would like to bet the exact opposite of you :D

please don't take this wrong - but can I get your bets for this Saturdays college football games? I would like to bet the exact opposite of you :D

Well... I was right on where I projected landfall, in fact I called this track three days ago. I was right on the speed that it's strength diminished at. Felix slowed down more than I anticipated giving it more time over the warm waters allowing it to gather strength.

Two out of three ain't bad... 66 2/3%... That's better than the weather guys do...

;)

Thanks, Travel Angel for passing along the info from Major Tom. Glad all is well in Belize. Sorry to hear that Carnival has not allowed the Legend to visit Belize. We are scheduled to leave on the 9/16 sailing and we are hoping that the only port substitution for that sailing will be for Costa Maya. I cannot believe the pictures of the devastation in Costa Maya. Glad Belize was spared. From the info I have been able to find, it looks like landfall of Felix was in a sparsely populated area.

Sure hope things quiet down for a while. All those folks have had enough!!

Thanks again for keeping us updated.

:)