Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoachTerry14

Hurricane Felix

I havent monitored Felix everyday, but it seems to have been milder than people thought.

Looking at the map, it doesnt seem to have hit Belize that hard, but i cant tell for sure.

Has anyone heard anything about Belize? That is the only cant miss stop for me on my sailing on 9/30 because i hear the snorkeling is the best there.

I know costa maya is out for a long time, but i hope the same doesnt happen to belize.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-thanks.

I havent monitored Felix everyday, but it seems to have been milder than people thought.

Looking at the map, it doesnt seem to have hit Belize that hard, but i cant tell for sure.

Has anyone heard anything about Belize? That is the only cant miss stop for me on my sailing on 9/30 because i hear the snorkeling is the best there.

I know costa maya is out for a long time, but i hope the same doesnt happen to belize.

thanks.

You'd probably find the information you're looking for on the hurricane board/thread. Might also find some info by searching google.

If the port was just hit by a hurricane, I'm quite sure the snorkeling won't be up to par...

-

Belize was sparred any serious damage.

The storm made landfall very close to Puerto Cabeza in Nicaragua and rapidly lost steam.

I've heard reports that four people lost their lives, very sad. The area is very sparsely populated, which probably accounts for the light causality count.

-thanks.

From My Friend Major Tom in Belize City: This update was made on Tuesday 09.04.07

Hurricane Felix has spared Belize, and is now pounding our neighbors in Honduras and Nicaragua with high winds and a disastrous level of rainfall. It is expected that rain bands from the north side of Felix will hit Belize, most likely heaviest in the south, with gradually lower levels further north, with some gusting winds, around Wednesday night into Thursday. We are at the moment calling primary and secondary schools back into classes starting tomorrow, Wednesday, 5 September. This is a clear indication that the authorities consider the danger over. NEMO, our National Emergency Management Organization, which is headed by the Prime Minister, with military and civil service elements at various levels, have announced no casualties or damage whatsoever so far from FELIX, but there are 1,700 families in the north (Corozal particularly) in dire need – they were hit by Dean a couple weeks ago. All in all, we have been once again extremely lucky here in Belize, but we are watching east with caution and prayers, as the hurricane season still has until 30 November, and so far, the forecasters have been very accurate in their projections of how many storms will turn into hurricanes, and category 5 hurricanes at that. We now look forward to the resumption of cruise activity in Belize, as we hope our port will remain on the itineraries of the cruiselines’ schedules. Allready, we have word that Carnival’s Legend will not be in the Belize Port this week. Valor was also scheduled to visit Belize this week.

Just because the eye passed further south than originally forecast doesnt mean the hurricane was "milder" than forecast. Having been thru a few hurricanes, the word Mild and cat 5 are not synonomous.

I get the idea if the port you are going to is sparred, who cares, the hurricane didnt do much.

Just because the eye passed further south than originally forecast doesnt mean the hurricane was "milder" than forecast. Having been thru a few hurricanes, the word Mild and cat 5 are not synonomous.

I get the idea if the port you are going to is sparred, who cares, the hurricane didnt do much.

I was merely providing an appreciated update from a friend in Belize City to which many have appreciated.

It appears as though much of Honduras was sparred as well.

This is from stormcarib.com:

"Hello all,

It's 5:00 AM here now and quite breezy from the southeast here in Brick Bay estimate in the 30's. Just stepped outside and its moon and stars with scattered clouds flying by overhead.

Satellites show most of the activity well to the west now. At this rate it might just make the Pacific!

Not much on local TV re: conditions on the mainland. A short clip on the impact area was on the Spanish CNN a little while ago and it looked pretty rough there w/ lots of roofs gone, trees down, etc. Tegucigalpa TV is off air at the moment so no news there.

Here on Roatan however the lights are on and everybody's home so we'll wait and see what daylight brings.

Mike and Susan"

This was dated today at 7:08 AM EDT.

http://stormcarib.com/reports/current/honduras.shtml

I interpret the "mild" comment to mean that even as a Cat 5 hurricane, the wind field was considerably smaller than that of even Hurricane Dean. I forget the source ( somewhere on CC I think) that the Hurricane force winds were only felt 25 miles from the eye of the storm. So while still a Cat 5 storm on two separate occasions, it was a much smaller scale, and considered by some, mild when compared with larger storms with the same rating.

Clear as mud?

I interpret the "mild" comment to mean that even as a Cat 5 hurricane, the wind field was considerably smaller than that of even Hurricane Dean. I forget the source ( somewhere on CC I think) that the Hurricane force winds were only felt 25 miles from the eye of the storm. So while still a Cat 5 storm on two separate occasions, it was a much smaller scale, and considered by some, mild when compared with larger storms with the same rating.

Clear as mud?

When Felix made landfall the hurricane winds extended out a maximum of 45 miles, which is incredibly tight and kept the majority of damage to a rather small area.

Fortunately, the area of landfall was quite sparsely populated.

I just want to know what boxing has to do with hurricanes :p LMAO

I'm glad that many of the great islands were not severely damaged... sounds like we still have quite a few more storms to deal with this year.... I pray for minimal to no damage for everyone...

evidently, the new fear is landslides caused by up to 20 inches of rain/hour during height of the storm:(

stated that Belize especially is already "saturated" from last storm/rainy season there.

good vibes sent in buckets