Religious Expression on Cruises

RevNeal

What Kind of Religious Expressions do you engage in while on a Cruise?  

496 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind of Religious Expressions do you engage in while on a Cruise?

• Attend worship every day and/or every Sunday on a Cruise (when offered)
    • Read Scriptures
    • Read other religious literature
    • Pray privately in cabin
    • Pray silently before meals
    • Pray outloud before meals
    • Do not engage in any religous expressions (at least while on a cruise)

Sadly, my denomination bars me from performing Holy Union services for homosexual couples; although I can bless their homes, their cars, their pets, their meals, and even them as individual persons, I cannot bless them as a couple. However, I'm very glad that there are other clergy who are allowed to do so.

:confused:

Boo's Mom Quote:

Originally Posted by revneal

Sadly, my denomination bars me from performing Holy Union services for homosexual couples; although I can bless their homes, their cars, their pets, their meals, and even them as individual persons, I cannot bless them as a couple. However, I'm very glad that there are other clergy who are allowed to do so.

:confused:

Boo's Mom: Just wondering what your post above- just a ':confused:' smilie- meant? Revneal's quote about services for homosexual couples is pretty explicit, so what is your question??

That should be printed at the top of just about every thread, not just this one. That being said, it most especially belongs at the top of this one. :) Thank you for the reminder.

Rev Neal..... A true Teacher of the Lord Jesus Christ knows and teaches that there is a clear right and wrong. The Lord's way is right.

Sir, I am going to pray for you.

Very, very Respectfully Submitted,

Boo's Mom: Just wondering what your post above- just a ':confused:' smilie- meant? Revneal's quote about services for homosexual couples is pretty explicit, so what is your question??

Yes. You are right. His statement is crystal clear.

My confusion: The Lord Jesus Christ denounces homosexual behavior. Rev Neal is claiming to be a teacher of the Lord Jesus. Thus, my confusion.

Oh, please, Boo's Mom! Take your "preaching" elsewhere...PLEASE!! You have made posts that are so obviously ignorant of history in terms of the Bible, that you are only displaying yourself and your beliefs in such a non-tolerant and ignorant manner as to be non-credulous. Rev Neal has been a long-time poster here, and far more "realistic" than you. Stay home in your little South Texas "Paradise" and be as intolerant and ignorant as you will. While you're there, you might want to consider doing a little historical research into the foundations of religions, and the commonalities that many of them have....including the Old Testament! The world is a GREAT BIG PLACE, but your ideas seem to tell us that your little world is the only one. Sheesh! I'm not even going to apologize. Off to bake the communion bread for tomorrow's service.

Originally posted by Boo's Mom:

That would be a BINGO!

Bombero.... As you know, it's called persecution. The Lord Jesus told us that it would happen. It's not against us. It's against Him.

(end quote)

Actually, study your history. Persecution was when Antiochos IV (175-164 B.C.) decreed that the Jews could no longer sacrifice in the Temple or when Diocletian decreed the end of Christian worship and the requirement for sacrifices to the Roman gods. In both cases (as well as many many others) a religion was either restricted or banned by the government. I'd hardly think that being asked to show common courtesy to your fellow passengers by those same fellow passengers comes up to the level of intolerance, much less persecution.

I keep my religious beliefs to myself, unless asked by close friends. I don't see a prayer at a meal as being something that needs to be shared with everyone at the table. I have the common courtesy to be silent and not disturb someone's prayer, and I expect the same courtesy to not put me in a spot that makes me uncomfortable.

V

Another question, Boo's Mom, if I may. What denomination of Christianity are you?

Peaches.... I do not need to identify myself any further with a label on my "denomination". I am a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God...God in Flesh.

This battle is not mine.

I sign off of this post now.

Repectfully Submitted,

.... I do not need to identify myself any further with a label on my "denomination". I am a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God...God in Flesh.

AHA, that's what the BINGO meant, she doesn't even know!

I think it's a question of what "out loud" means. If I choose to bow my head when the meal is placed before me, and utter a quiet prayer of thanks for the food I've received, I don't believe that is outright rude. It's just me expressing my beliefs in an unobtrusive way.

I think that makes a lot of sense.

If someone politely asks his tablemates if they'd like to join him in a prayer of thanksgiving before partaking in a meal, and is not overbearing in any way ... simply extending a polite invitation ... just as someone might extend an invitation to his tablemates at the end of dinner "hey, anyone heading to the showroom ... want to join us?" ... I don't think there is anything to feel uncomfortable about. A simple "no thanks" and the matter of prayer should be closed for the remainder of the cruise.

I can tell you that I for one would have a HUGELY different reaction if you were to ask me to join you for the evening comedy show, versus asking me to join you in prayer.

Let me say that I believe you do NOT fall in the category of pray-for-show folks. You seem from your posts to be honest, sincere, caring and polite.

To illustrate the difference in how I would react, consider if someone were to publicly and politely pass a hat around the table, asking if anyone would like to join them in making donation to a women's shelter. Now, I might have just written a $500 check to the Children's Cancer Fund, or I might do all of my giving through United Way, or I may spend every Saturday delivering meals to sick people, or I may not have any cash on me, or I may be a cheapskate. But regardless, now I'm going to risk embarrassment if I don't kick in a few bucks.

Now whoever passed that hat may have the best of intentions, and truly doesn't want to offend anyone. In your post, you write, "I don't think there is anything to feel uncomfortable about. A simple "no thanks" and the matter of prayer should be closed for the remainder of the cruise."

It isn't that simple. Because if I choose not to give, (or pray) I do run the risk of being considered an uncaring cheapskate (or godless heathen.) And if I did contribute (or pray) I would probably feel like it was coerced, like I was unfairly put on the spot.

So I think that when someone asks people whom they don't know to join them in prayer - even with the best of intentions - they create an uncomfortable situation for some.

Hard to explain. Whether you agree or not, I hope I have given a clear analogy. I don't mean to offend or to be argumentative. I'm just giving you my honest personal viewpoint.

Rev Neal..... A true Teacher of the Lord Jesus Christ knows and teaches that there is a clear right and wrong. The Lord's way is right.

Sir, I am going to pray for you.

Dear Boo's Mom,

I appreciate your prayers. Thankfully, God knows what my needs are, even if others attempt to arrogate to themselves the assumption of that knowledge.

As for your statement regarding what a true Teacher of the Lord Jesus Christ knows and teaches ... yes, indeed, there is a clear right and wrong. There is a right way to treat people, and there is a clear wrong way; the right way exemplifies the love of God which sent Jesus into this world and onto the cross for the world -- and that's a love that doesn't judge or reject, but accepts and forgives (read John 15:13).

Jesus said that we should "do to others as we would have them do unto us." Is praying out loud in mixed religious company truly so critical to "right and wrong" that it overrides the divine calling to "do unto others"? This IS the issue we are addressing, you know -- not matters of eternity, but simply matters of how we behave toward our fellow human beings when on a cruise: do we show them the courtesy we would like to receive, or are we arrogant and rude? I know what Jesus said, and what He would have me do. I pray you are graced to hear His still small voice inside your head when that time comes for you as well.

Grace and Peace,

My confusion: The Lord Jesus Christ denounces homosexual behavior. Rev Neal is claiming to be a teacher of the Lord Jesus. Thus, my confusion.

The following constitutes the totality of what Jesus had to say about homosexuality:

Yep ... Jesus said nothing about homosexual behavior. Not a thing. Jesus denounced injustice against the poor, women, children, the sick, and the outcast; Jesus refused to condemn a woman caught in adultery; Jesus ate dinner with the greatest sinner in town (Zacchaeus); Jesus denounced religious bigotry, spiritual pride, and the "doing of one's religion for the approval of others." But Jesus said nothing about homosexuality or homosexual behavior.

I'm sorry we got onto this subject. I didn't intend to preach a sermon ... it just popped out of me. :)

Hey ... Jesus took a cruise on Lake Tiberius once! He had a great way of stopping sea-sickness, and he didn't have to put out an advertisement on Cruise Critics to get his Disciples to buy it, either!! ;)

Curious as usual, I just read through this thread and I came upon a wonderful way to handle the next time I write something I regret.

Boo's Mom blamed it on her daughter. You'll recall she posted that she was sorry that her daughter had posted something that had offended someone and she apologized.

I'm forever telling my little girl "hands off those keys!!!";)

Thank you, Boo ... he sure thinks he's handsome too. Actually, he's just an grey American short hair. He has a little Siamese in him, though. Here's a link to a collection of photos of him. He's my special friend.

Jeremiah Cat Neal

And here are photos of my daughter, Dorcas:

Dorcas Basset Neal

They are my sweet children.

Rev, what an adorable Basset!! So so cute!!! And your cat, too, magnificent!

Molly is a Bichon Frise ... she is the apple of our eye:D . Words can't begin. We have a kitty cat, too, Sammie, who is also our love. Molly is 3, Sammie is 14. I can't say they're exactly friends;) , but they co-exist.

Is Jeremiah a British or Russian Blue? or some other breed?

Wow - he sure is a handsome cat!

BOO-

Just noticed you joined today... welcome to our boards and this very interesting thread - interestingly enough, you've picked a user name similar to one member that's had a rough time of it on these boards this morning...

Or maybe you are Boo's daughter?

Archived