Food/Restaurant safety in Mexico?

Milhouse

Hmmm the only kind I have ever had is Franco American. But I am not picky at all! Just a can of whatever kind you see first. I am soooo excited. I went by Tequila Treasures to make sure it was ok with Geovanni if I could use the bar as a drop-off point. He said sure when he found out it was for Cruise Critics! Alot of CC members have gone in to see him and ordered the margaritas.

Find out if there's any type of American specialty Geovanni would like from the states. DH & I would be honored and pleasured to bring a something special to him since he's our ``go between'' so to speak.:D

Dianne

Find out if there's any type of American specialty Geovanni would like from the states. DH & I would be honored and pleasured to bring a something special to him since he's our ``go between'' so to speak.:D

Dianne

I will ask him this morning! Guess what I just ate...yummy machaca tacos from the lady in the ditch next to Captain Tony's. Ahhhh, nothing better than watching a gorgous sunrise as the Pride pulls into the bay while eating good streets tacos. Life is grand in Cabo!

Have you had a chance to check with Geovanni regarding anything he would like from the States? My shopping time is getting shorter. Yahoo!!!:D

Also, seems to me you used to mention a certain color of nail polish? you liked when you were in Cozumel. I remember there was something you used to mention and cruisers were able to bring it to you when they visited there.

Can't wait until we get there.

Dianne

Have you had a chance to check with Geovanni regarding anything he would like from the States? My shopping time is getting shorter. Yahoo!!!:D

Also, seems to me you used to mention a certain color of nail polish? you liked when you were in Cozumel. I remember there was something you used to mention and cruisers were able to bring it to you when they visited there.

Can't wait until we get there.

Dianne

You are such a doll! Can't believe you remembered that nail polish thread. Thanks but I am actually very lucky in that department here in Cabo...we have OPI brand polish and I don't need to import it anymore. It was Big Apple Red by the way!

I did talk to Geo about your offer. He said he would think about it. But I didn't hear so I just called him. He said he had a couple things in mind and will call me back within the hour and I will post.

You are such a doll! Can't believe you remembered that nail polish thread. Thanks but I am actually very lucky in that department here in Cabo...we have OPI brand polish and I don't need to import it anymore. It was Big Apple Red by the way!

I did talk to Geo about your offer. He said he would think about it. But I didn't hear so I just called him. He said he had a couple things in mind and will call me back within the hour and I will post.

I'll be checking back for your answer.:D

Also, Geo does understand that we on CC only know you as Solita, right?

Was thinking yesterday if I drop things off with him for Solita he might not know who I am talking about or think I'm truly daffy.

DH & I plan to leave your Spaghettios with Geovanni before we head out to San Jose and then come back to Tequila Treasures early afternoon for some great margaritas.

How early does Geo open Tequila Treasures?

Dianne

I'll be checking back for your answer.:D

Also, Geo does understand that we on CC only know you as Solita, right?

Was thinking yesterday if I drop things off with him for Solita he might not know who I am talking about or think I'm truly daffy.

DH & I plan to leave your Spaghettios with Geovanni before we head out to San Jose and then come back to Tequila Treasures early afternoon for some great margaritas.

How early does Geo open Tequila Treasures?

Dianne

I just saw that you will be back here at the end of April on the Dawn too! Yippy.

Geo does know me as Solita and my connection to CC.

I am still waiting for him to call me. Sometimes a mexican hour can be a couple hours. But I will post as soon as he does call me back.

He usually opens by 10am on ship arrival days. For early arrival days it is abit earlier or for later arrivals, he opens alittle later. If you guys are heading out earlier than that, I can come up with another plan. It would not be a problem and I sure don't want you to lug around a can of Skeeti O's to San Jose!

p.s....I just ate a fabulous deshebrada torta from a cart on the corner. Viva Street Food!!!

I just saw that you will be back here at the end of April on the Dawn too! Yippy.

Geo does know me as Solita and my connection to CC.

I am still waiting for him to call me. Sometimes a mexican hour can be a couple hours. But I will post as soon as he does call me back.

He usually opens by 10am on ship arrival days. For early arrival days it is abit earlier or for later arrivals, he opens alittle later. If you guys are heading out earlier than that, I can come up with another plan. It would not be a problem and I sure don't want you to lug around a can of Skeeti O's to San Jose!

p.s....I just ate a fabulous deshebrada torta from a cart on the corner. Viva Street Food!!!

Yes, we will be back in April on Dawn Princess. Brother- and sister-in-law have never been to Mex. Riviera and they're cruising with us on that one.

We will all make sure you get your Spaghettio fix taken care.:D

Post when you get a chance. Hope we can meet up with you when we hit Cabo on this trip. You've provided so much info on these threads over the past few years we've been members that I feel like I've met you already.

Would love to give you a hug in person.:D

Dianne

Yes, we will be back in April on Dawn Princess. Brother- and sister-in-law have never been to Mex. Riviera and they're cruising with us on that one.

We will all make sure you get your Spaghettio fix taken care.:D

Post when you get a chance. Hope we can meet up with you when we hit Cabo on this trip. You've provided so much info on these threads over the past few years we've been members that I feel like I've met you already.

Would love to give you a hug in person.:D

Dianne

And I am equally anxious to meet you! October 5 should be relatively calm...maybe when you guys come back from San Jose I can meet you over at Tequila Treasures for abit. The morning will be crazy!

I spoke to Geo. He said he since he has never been to the US, he is not sure what he is missing. But says Spaghettio O's sound interesting and he would like to try a can.

I have to run now....Elation has a medical emergency and changing their call from tomorrow to Thursday. tata

I wanted to throw my two cents in also and say that I have never gotten sick in Mexico, and have eaten there a lot both from restaurants and street vendors. If you are nervous, stick to the restaurants, but I have found much better food from the street vendors for the most part, and less expensive too!

Like someone else mentioned, if the vendor is busy and there are lots of locals eating there, you can bet it's safe. I would suggest bringing bottled water, but don't worry about buying drinks, they will be made from bottled water as well. And don't be surprised if you don't get ice in your drinks, they don't use ice like we do, but if you ask they can usually get some for you. Be adventurous....it's all good!

Jeepgirl

And I am equally anxious to meet you! October 5 should be relatively calm...maybe when you guys come back from San Jose I can meet you over at Tequila Treasures for abit. The morning will be crazy!

I spoke to Geo. He said he since he has never been to the US, he is not sure what he is missing. But says Spaghettio O's sound interesting and he would like to try a can.

Geo has never been to the US and you want him to think Spaghettio's is our national dish? Poor Geo.

How 'bout I bring him a can of real Spam or a can of our tiny Vienna cocktail sausages? Kraft Macaroni and Cheese?

I think I have a plan now. Good old fashioned American food care package. You and Geo can throw a party and invite friends.:D

Dianne

Geo has never been to the US and you want him to think Spaghettio's is our national dish? Poor Geo.

How 'bout I bring him a can of real Spam or a can of our tiny Vienna cocktail sausages? Kraft Macaroni and Cheese?

I think I have a plan now. Good old fashioned American food care package. You and Geo can throw a party and invite friends.:D

Dianne

Jajaja! I know that he will like Spaghetti O's. I think we have Spam and Viennas here in the grocerys. But we don't have the original Kraft Mac and Cheese! I heard there were some CC members over at Tequila Treasures yesterday but I wasn't there at the time. I went in later to enjoy the air conditioning though!!!!!

One of our table mates got real sick off restraunt food in Cabo. What made it darkly comical was the fact that he was a parasitolist.

He got sick at a place whose name I won't say, but it is owned by a well known rock singer. He ate the shrimp tacos and got violently ill- diarhea, shakes, etc. I saw him on the last day of the cruise and he looked like death.

Look, there is a reason why we have health inspections in the states! If you do get sick from a restraunt, what'd ya going to do? Fly back there to sue them in mexican court?

Lastily, on my first trip to Mazatlan, I saw a truck stop to deliver a large block of ice to a small restraunt. The writing on the truck said "Aqua Puro". We watched as the guy pulled the ice block out of the truck and it fell into the gutter. He dragged it up the gutter into the restraunt!

Sorry, but I have known too many people who have gotten sick in Mexico to risk it, people who have eaten in the supposedly "good" places.

Jajaja! I know that he will like Spaghetti O's. I think we have Spam and Viennas here in the grocerys. But we don't have the original Kraft Mac and Cheese! I heard there were some CC members over at Tequila Treasures yesterday but I wasn't there at the time. I went in later to enjoy the air conditioning though!!!!!

Packing my bags now. Have a variety buffet in spaghettios and a couple of packs of Kraft Mac & Cheese packed for Geovanni. Plan to drop our bag off at Tequila Treasures after we arrive at the pier. Will be back to Tequila Treasures when we get back from our trip to San Jose, hopefully very early afternoon. Want some serious time to enjoy the treasures at Tequila Treasures.

Hope to meet up with you while we're there.

Hope Geovanni likes his portion of the buffet.

Dianne

Archived