Cabo Whale Watching photos

solita

I had to make sure I didn't post the photo of my finger over the lens or the bottom of the boat..you do bounce around alot! These were from last November 27...a date burned into my memories...whale season is one reason I stay in Cabo! It will start again at the beginning of December through the end of March.

DSC01407.jpg.1dabb787f0e9ac3f8cc4c95ddfab81f1.jpg

530831026_Picture009.jpg.0c56feb5c01ba01c51f0c25094751499.jpg

255031470_Picture019.jpg.ab0dab264f0023f9d56ebe4cbb1ddcf3.jpg

I had to make sure I didn't post the photo of my finger over the lens or the bottom of the boat..you do bounce around alot! These were from last November 27...a date burned into my memories...whale season is one reason I stay in Cabo! It will start again at the beginning of December through the end of March.

Wonderful photos. We'll be there the first week of November and I was wondering if there's a slight chance we will get to view anything like this?

WOW! These pictures are great! You sure were close to them. I wish I had gone on a whale watch in Cabo when we were there two years ago. Never saw whales this close when I was in Alaska. Great job!

Thanks for the compliment but you didn't see the one of my foot, or the back of the lady's head sitting next to me, or.... hahaha. You do get close but about half way up the Baja pennisula, there are 3 bays where mainly the grey and humpback whales go to give birth. For some reason, the majority of the moms and babies are docile and allow boats right up next to them. You can pet them! Magdelena Bay is the one I hear the most about...maybe I will get to go this season.

Wonderful photos. We'll be there the first week of November and I was wondering if there's a slight chance we will get to view anything like this?

Well, most likely not but you have a really good excuse to come back down in February when the season will be at it's peak! I started seeing them out last year at the end of October. We saw one about 4 weeks ago off Twin Dolphins over by Chileno Bay. But the bulk of them come starting in mid-November.

All the cruiselines (except Regent and Holland America) use Cabo Expeditions for their whale watching tours. The zodiac tour (versus the one they offer on some cruiselines in a boat that holds 100+ pax) will get you up close. But space is really limited so I suggest you book it as early as possible.

Awesome pictures Solita...thanks for sharing them...we will be in Cabo the 2nd week of February...I definitely want to do the whale watching tour...one quick question...I need a knee replaced :eek: and have trouble climbing...how easy is it to get in and out of the zodiac? do you do it from a pier or the side of another boat...Thanks for any light you can shed for me...

Emmy

Awesome pictures Solita...thanks for sharing them...we will be in Cabo the 2nd week of February...I definitely want to do the whale watching tour...one quick question...I need a knee replaced :eek: and have trouble climbing...how easy is it to get in and out of the zodiac? do you do it from a pier or the side of another boat...Thanks for any light you can shed for me...

Emmy

Emmy...it is fairly easy to get in and out. You load from one of the little piers where the tenders pull up to. You step onto the side (feels like those Moon Walk jump inside thingys for kids) and then one step down. The guide helps you with one hand and you can hold onto the top of the awning bar with your other hand. I have had 4 knee surgeries and it is no problem!

Solita..Thank You soooooo much for the information...we will definitely be doing the Cabo Expeditions tour...especially now that I know I can get in and out of the Zodiac without looking like a complete idiot...:D I am so excited..can't wait...I grew up south of Boston in the whaling capital of the world..(New Bedford of Moby Dick fame) and never once have I done a whale watching tour...took me moving to the flatlands of America to finally get the chance...go figure...LOL

Great photos Solita! Thank you for sharing!

We'll be there the 2nd week in January. I know February is the peak time to see the whales, but how is it around the time we'll be there, usually?

Gum...wellllll, I took those pics in November. Mid-January should be very good.

Solita..Thank You soooooo much for the information...we will definitely be doing the Cabo Expeditions tour...especially now that I know I can get in and out of the Zodiac without looking like a complete idiot...:D I am so excited..can't wait...I grew up south of Boston in the whaling capital of the world..(New Bedford of Moby Dick fame) and never once have I done a whale watching tour...took me moving to the flatlands of America to finally get the chance...go figure...LOL

The zodiacs are much easier than loading into the fishing boats! That's for sure. Just take your time and the people on the pier will be helping you as well as the captain inside the boat. Remember to bring your camera!!!

Bummer! I just went to book the Zodiac tour and realized you have to be 11 or older. I have a 6 and 10 year old. What's the next best option???

Hmmmm, let me think on this and post later this afternoon. We will figure out something.

Solita...sorry another question please...do you know how strict Cabo Expeditions is on their "weight cap"...hubby is over 200 lbs...I am gonna be sooo bummed if they make him step on a scale and he is overweight and we can't go...

Don't worry unless he is really overweight and has difficulty moving around. It is difficult for a "size challenged" person to get in and out of the zodiacs.

Solita, after reading this thread I am thinking that there won't be any zodiac whale watching avaiable for our trip on the Star to Cabo the 24TH of Dec. Is that right? We did the zodiacs two years ago in Jan and saw hundreds and loved it and was hoping to go again this time. Is there anything else besides the 100+ tour that we could do? Thank you!

Solita, after reading this thread I am thinking that there won't be any zodiac whale watching avaiable for our trip on the Star to Cabo the 24TH of Dec. Is that right? We did the zodiacs two years ago in Jan and saw hundreds and loved it and was hoping to go again this time. Is there anything else besides the 100+ tour that we could do? Thank you!

Hola Sum...you are partially correct. The whale watching tour company doesn't work with NCL but the great news is that you can book independently! Just call them to reserve the space and walk over to the office to do your tour. It is about a 4 minute walk from the tender pier. Here is the website that has the phone number so you can prebook.

http://www.caboexpeditions.com.mx

Thank you Solita, I will give them a call! It is great having someone like you that is so willing to help all of us - travelers! Keep up the good work and Thank you again!

You are super welcome. I keep watching the horizon for their arrival. One whale was spotted here almost a month ago...that would be me...always have to be somewhere before the scheduled time!

Don't worry unless he is really overweight and has difficulty moving around. It is difficult for a "size challenged" person to get in and out of the zodiacs.

He goes about 230-240..but doesn't have trouble moving around...maybe it's time for a diet:D ..thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions...Emmy

He goes about 230-240..but doesn't have trouble moving around...maybe it's time for a diet:D ..thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions...Emmy

You are welcome Emmy. I have great news...we saw whales yesterday! It appeared to be a pod of Bryde's...looks like a gray whale but smaller. They are common to the water more north in the Sea of Cortez. Way cool!

Archived