gracerev

Back from the Holiday

I've been lurking on Cruise Critic for some time now, but never posted. I just wanted to say that I returned yesterday from my very first cruise. Before I left, I think I read everything on this site that had anything to do with the Holiday and was excited to experience the "little ship that could."

I was NOT disappointed!

Parking at the terminal and embarkation was easy. My stateroom was forward on the Upper Deck. I didn't have any trouble with brown water or bad smells, but some of the others in my group of 100 or so did. I brought a small fan with me because I had read that some of the staterooms were warm, but I was actually too cold to use it. I wound up loaning it to some others from our group who swore their room was a sauna. It worked out well for all of us! After I figured out how to navigate around the ship, it was easy to get from one place to another. I was thankful for the pocket-sized layouts they handed out on the way in!

I had the late seating in the Seven Seas dining room. Martin was our head waiter and Rudy was his assistant. Martin absolutely made the trip wonderful. He's sweet and funny and he really did a great job. He took some gentle ribbing from a few of us after we saw him walking down a hallway with his girlfriend, but it was all in good humor.

I had a delightful time and am trying to figure out if I can swing another trip on the Holiday. I wanted to thank everyone who takes the time to post on this message board, even if it's to answer the same questions over and over again. Thanks to ALL of you, I felt prepared for this great trip and was even able to help others in my group. I don't know that people thank all of you often enough - so know that you have my profound thanks and appreciation for all you do to help each other and the many who come here each day looking for information and answers.

Thanks again! I don't know that I can answer any questions folks may have about the Holiday, but I sure will try. She's a wonderful ship!

gracerev

I am so glad that you enjoyed your cruise. We had Martin as our waiter in July and we loved him. We also loved the Holiday, a little bit old and small but it was wonderful. I was one of the ones that complained about the rooms being too warm and I forgot to bring my fan so I just had to deal with it. Next time I will make sure that I pack one just in case.

Thank you, gracerev! We are going on the Holiday Oct 8th. I thought I had finally finished all my pre-cruise shopping, but I am so glad you said that about a small fan!! We are hot natured and cannot sleep if we are too hot. :eek: What size fan did you take?

Yes, Martin was absoutely wonderful! I made sure to mention him in my comment card. Here's a picture I took of him with Rudy. Too funny!

DSCF0988.JPG

Hootowl - I'm envious that you're going on the Holiday! Can I come with you? The fan I brought was a black tabletop model by Honeywell that I picked up at CVS for about 20 dollars. I kept it in the box it came in and had a regular luggage tag with my cabin number on it taped to the top so it came with my other suitcases. Like I said, I sure wound up not needing it, but my colleagues did. Better safe than sorry, you know? They called about getting a loaner fan but evidently they had all been claimed, so all in all I was glad I had it with me. Enjoy your trip!

Gracerev

Thanks for the great review. We are sailing on the Holiday for our 2nd time on 10/27/07. She is a smaller ship but we found the service to be great and she has all we want and need to have a great cruise. Hope you get another trip planned soon.

I just got back off the Holiday Saturday as well. Wasn't it great! We were on Empress Level cabin 97. I had Martin and Rudy as well but at the early seating. I just loved him. I 'm glad you posted that picture of them. I tried taking that shot and for some reason it didn't take. I think there was some glass that reflected off the lense. I did get other pictures of him though. What did you do in Cozumel and Calica? We shopped in Cozumel during the morning, ate lunch at Margaritaville and went to Chankanaab Park and snorkeled in the afternoon. We took the Tulum/Xel-Ha excursion from Calica. Had a great day but a hot one!

Hey. I was also sailing last week on the Holiday! Wasn't it Fun??!! It was my third cruise but its been 6 yrs so it almost felt like the first. I did have brown water. It didn't bother me too much brushing my teeth but I didn't want to drink it. And I had an inside stateroom. It was actually kinda cold most of the time. I'd heard someone say theier room was hot and asked about the insde cabins...I'd say that would be the way to go. Thursday night I'd planned as my 'party all night' cause I could recover with the next day at sea.....well the motion was alittle too much for me during dinner. :( I went to bed at 8:30. But thats apart of it sometimes. I had a GREAT time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funniest thing that happened was in Cozumel, my friend and I drank a 'few' at Senior Frog's....well I had to get a wheelchair to push her back to the ship!!!!:) :D LOLOLOL I came back out for a couple hours and met a couple that was on the other ship and we had a blast. I had so much fun!! Can't wait to do it again!!!

I was part of a group, but sailing solo, so I had flexibility in what I did. In Cozumel, I grabbed a taxi with some folks from an RC ship and went downtown for shopping (spent too much money on some jewelry!) and walked all over. Met some friends at Margaritaville in the afternoon and then got back to the ship.

In Calica, I decided at the last minute (pretty much as I set foot off the ship) to do an excursion because I was afraid of taking a taxi by myself. I did the shopping and beach trip ($29) and it was just so-so. The first stop is a jewelry factory where we wasted 40 minutes standing around waiting to see if anyone would buy anything. Then we went into Playa del Carmen for shopping for about an hour. We got back together and Paco, our tour guide, couldn't get ahold of our bus driver. We just stood around on the side of a street watching and waiting. About 45 minutes later, the driver showed up. We weren't thrilled, and even though I don't speak Spanish, I could tell that Paco wasn't pleased, either! We spent the last several hours at the Toucan beach club and that was wonderful.

I'm glad that all the Martin fans out there enjoyed the picture of him with Rudy. They were such hams!

Thanks again, everyone!

Gracerev

We look forward to our 28th cruise and first one on the Holiday in Jan. I noticed you wanted to sail the Holiday again. While you may have had a great time I can tell you there are many fishes in the sea and part of the fun of cruising to us is getting to experience a different ship everytime we sail.

Now that you got your feet wet(no pun intended!) why not venture out and find another Carnival ship or even another cruise line next time to experience the joy of the unknown? Every ship out there has it's own personality just waiting to be explored by first timers. And then there is the rumor that the Holiday will be retired and sold soon.

Glad to hear it was a great time. We have a group of 12 going on 10/22 sailing and was a little afraid of the ship being old. But if i have good food and friends did i mention food im happy.

I take it the windows on Main deck do not open???? :( will miss a balcony always slept with the door open

Yes, Martin was absoutely wonderful! I made sure to mention him in my comment card. Here's a picture I took of him with Rudy. Too funny!

DSCF0988.JPG

Hootowl - I'm envious that you're going on the Holiday! Can I come with you? The fan I brought was a black tabletop model by Honeywell that I picked up at CVS for about 20 dollars. I kept it in the box it came in and had a regular luggage tag with my cabin number on it taped to the top so it came with my other suitcases. Like I said, I sure wound up not needing it, but my colleagues did. Better safe than sorry, you know? They called about getting a loaner fan but evidently they had all been claimed, so all in all I was glad I had it with me. Enjoy your trip!

Gracerev

I take it the windows on Main deck do not open???? :( will miss a balcony always slept with the door open

I'm so glad to hear you had a great time! We have a group of over 60 friends and family going in January. I know that will be fun!! :)

My questions are... can you tell me how much the parking was at the pier? And where is the Margaritaville? How long of a taxi drive to it? We've been to a couple others but not in MX. What beaches do any of you suggest or recommend?

Thanks so much for you help! It's nice to know what to expect!

Parking at the cruise terminal was $60 for a car for 5 days. The hardest part of that is remembering what level you parked on when you get back!

In Cozumel, the taxi ride downtown was just under 10 minutes or so from where we docked. I wandered around for quite a while after shopping and would guess that Margaritaville was close to halfway back, by the time I walked there. We took a taxi home from there and it was just a few minutes to the pier. I did see another Carnival ship and a Disney ship at a pier that was much more centrally located to downtown, so if you're fortunate enough to dock there, you will have a much easier time getting around. The Margaritaville had a beautiful back deck and plenty to eat and drink. For the sake of a souvenier, you can pay $30 for them to put a goofy sombrero on your head, take a picture, and put it in a "Margaritaville Cozumel" frame (not that I have one sitting on my desk right now or anything!)

I really don't think I can offer any specific beach recommendations since I only went to the Toucan club in Playa del Carmen, but it was a nice one and so was Mamitas, right next door.

I know I need to start thinking about looking at other cruising opportunities, and I most likely will, but for now the best part about the Holiday (for as long as she's around) is that I can drive to Mobile from home and actually afford the price (unless the student loan fairy pays me a visit sometime soon!)

gracerev

I leave in about 48 hours on the Holiday and I'm so excited! Thanks for another vote of confidence in the "little old" ship I keep hearing about!

We leave on our first cruise next Monday from Mobile. WE are looking for tshirts, inexpensive jewelry, pens that type of thing for souvenirs. Would you suggest Cozumel or Carmen De playa? Do they pretty much have the same stuff? So excited.

Also we are in M29, any info?

We leave on our first cruise next Monday from Mobile. WE are looking for tshirts, inexpensive jewelry, pens that type of thing for souvenirs. Would you suggest Cozumel or Carmen De playa? Do they pretty much have the same stuff? So excited.

Also we are in M29, any info?

We have been on the Holiday twice this year. Cozumel has LOTS of places to buy T-shirts and souvenirs.It'a a HUGE shopping area and beautiful too!People weren't too pushy,just tell them no thanks and keep walking.

We took a carriage ride through town,very nice! If you like the party scene, try Senor Frogs:D I've heard Margaritaville was awesome too and that you could buy your drinks and drink them on the beach there.Of course, we didn't see Margaritaville till AFTER we pulled away from the port..lol Have a wonderful Cruise!:)

We have been on the Holiday twice this year. Cozumel has LOTS of places to buy T-shirts and souvenirs.It'a a HUGE shopping area and beautiful too!People weren't too pushy,just tell them no thanks and keep walking.

We took a carriage ride through town,very nice! If you like the party scene, try Senor Frogs:D I've heard Margaritaville was awesome too and that you could buy your drinks and drink them on the beach there.Of course, we didn't see Margaritaville till AFTER we pulled away from the port..lol Have a wonderful Cruise!:)

So you would suggest souvenier shopping in cozumel over carmen de playa?