Thread Drift...

bepsf

SarasMommy --

Originally Posted by tomc: With a side of peanut butter. You ain't lived till you've put peanut butter on eggs, specifically a cheese omelet.

Posted by SarasMommy: What bet did you lose to even have to try that in the first place? I wouldn't even think to put the two together?

I didn't lose any bet. I realized one day that I was having eggs with toast/peanut butter/jelly on the side. They tasted good. I decided to try just peanut butter; it was better than s-x (or, for that matter, tr-mp-t).

Does anyone remember having "Finnan Haddie"???

I don't remember it ever being served at home, but I know my Mom used to love it. I remember her saying she couldn't get it because she couldn't get real, smoked, whatever it was. It was something from her past, so that's a long time ago!

"If I invite a boy some night

To dine on my fine finnan haddie

I just adore, his asking for more,

But my heart belongs to Daddy."

(Mary Martin, "My Heart Belongs To Daddy," by Cole Porter in "Leave It To Me" (1938) while doing a simulated strip-tease in a Siberian railroad station. (Going on memory here, but I used to play this on the radio fairly often.)

Finnan Haddie is produced from fresh haddock caught in the icy waters off the north coast of Scotland. It's named after the hamlet of Findon near Aberdeen where this particular way of curing/smoking haddock was first practiced.

Hungry for some?

True story.

Mary Martin and Larry Hagman were leaving a theater or someplace headed for a nightspot. A taxi driver spotted Larry and said, "Hey! JR! Let me give you a ride!" He turned to his mother and said, "That's show biz."

They arrived at the nightclub and, as Mary walked in, everyone rose and applauded. She turned to Larry and said, "That's showbiz."

Archived