Cruise Critic Community
knight2096

Biodegradable Suntan Lotion what brand ?

I have heard a lot of places in Mexico only allow Bio degradable suntan lotion. Does anyone know what brands are allowed I have heard "Natures gate" and "kiss my face" are these ok. does anyone know what brand I should bring?

any brand that says its eco friendly. We use Smartshield. MexiTan is another brand a lot of folks use as well. The Eco Parks are where they will check your bottle.

We went to Xel Ha in June and they offer you there own sun lotion for what you bring at no charge. They do want you to use the bio degradeable one. The water is beautiful.

I have heard a lot of places in Mexico only allow Bio degradable suntan lotion. Does anyone know what brands are allowed I have heard "Natures gate" and "kiss my face" are these ok. does anyone know what brand I should bring?

Nature's Gate and Smartshield should not be used.

Smartshield contains Octinoxate, Octisalate, Avobenzone, Octocrylene, Padimate, and Propylparaben - all shown to be harmful to coral reefs and contribute to disease and bleaching.

Nature's Gate Aquablock contains Octinoxate, Oxybenzone, both shown in recent studies to contribute to coral reef bleaching and disease. The other Nature's Gate products are worse, Aquablock is the best one for reefs, but there are definitely better choices.

Kiss My Face does contain one ingredient that is not reef-friendly, but it's a minor ingredient, so it's pretty good.

MexiTan, Caribbean Sol, UV Natural, Soleo Organics, and Luvea Neutrals are solid choices.

Your sunblock should not be used if it contains any of the following ingredients or is not specifically labelled as biodegradable.

PABA

Octocrylene

Octinoxate

Oxybenzone

4-methylbenzylidene

Butylparaben

Benzophenone

Butyl-Methoxydi-benzoylmethane

Hexyldecanol

Dimethyl Capramide

Cetyl Dimethicone

Methylparaben

Polyethylene

Propylparaben

Butylcarbamate

Hope this helps, have a great time!

As I will not be arriving by airplane, does security at the ports. (Canaveral and Lauderdale specifically) allow you to carry larger bottles of suntan oil. IE eight ounce bottles, or is that restriction only for airports?

Thanks and smooth sailing.

Where does one find these eco-friendly sunscreens? I cannot find them at the local stores. Do you have to order from online?

Hi

We will be arriving late on Saturday, will the shops be open as normal on Sunday including Wal mart at I hope to buy sunscreen and deet spray then?

Where does one find these eco-friendly sunscreens? I cannot find them at the local stores. Do you have to order from online?

I found some at one of the large sporting good chains when I went looking for snorkling gear.

We needed biodegradable sunscreen to snorkel with the whalesharks last summer. We purchased Mexi-tan online.

As I will not be arriving by airplane, does security at the ports. (Canaveral and Lauderdale specifically) allow you to carry larger bottles of suntan oil. IE eight ounce bottles, or is that restriction only for airports?

Thanks and smooth sailing.

That's not a problem. If you are not flying, you can carry any size bottle of suntan lotion with you. The ports really only care about weapons, drug and alcohol and that's what they screen for. Your suntan lotion will be safe. :)