Where to get pesos? Help.

checklady724

I will be traveling to Progrsso MX via cruise ship (Carnival Holiday) which leaves this Saturday. Someone mentioned that at some of the less popular mayan ruins (Uxmal) gift shops you will need pesos as they won't take anything else. Does the Pursers desk handle that kind of thing? If not which banks do that sort of thing?:confused:

your AAA office can arrange currency exchange. Takes a couple of days, Also your home bank and takes a few days. The exchange rate or fees are not good. In Mexico there are quite a few currency exchanges on the street and banks are far more favorable exchange rates accepting US dollars or traveler's checks. Be sure your US dollars have no tears. The vast majority of vendors will gladly take US currency. Always carry small denomination cause you will likely get pesos for change. With retailers the exchange rate is about 10 pesos to one US dollar.

Thank you for the information on the pesos in Progresso. I have never been here before so I just didn't know if this OP was just having a problem this day or not. They were talking about having to borrow pesos from others in their group at the DZ ruins because the person in the gift shop wouldn't take US money. I thought that was kinda weird because every where else I have been in Mexico took US cash in a heartbeat. Good to know there will be some way to exchange in town before heading to the ruins...just in case.:rolleyes:

Since we were on a Carnival excursion at Uxmal, the price of the excursion included the fee to get into the ruins. Our tour guide purchased the tickets to get in. I don't know what the requirement is if you do the ruins on your own. They may require pesos at the entrance. I know the gift shops accepted US dollars. DH also bought a drink with US$. We've never had to have pesos. Travelgirl

When my cruise excursions were up( closed now, to close to sail date) There was only one ruins tour offered and it involved small ruins close to port, a rodeo and mexican buffet. It wasn't the ruins I wanted to go see. I have heard on these boards there will be more offerings of shore tours when I get to the ship Saturday. If I choose a ships tour then I have no problems, but if I choose to go on my own I might. Thats why I posted this question. I did find out that there will be many tours at the pier in Progresso. I have also heard that these tours are about 40% less in price than the same or close to the same tour as the ship. My plans are still up in the air for Progresso so we will see. If the ships tour is a good deal I might book it. If not I'll go my own way and pick up some pesos when I get there. I do have a ships tour planned in Cozumel.

If you use your ATM card at the ATM machine, it will give you pesos. You can also go in the bank and exchange money. The bank will not accept US money that is torn or has any writing or markings on it. I think most shop keepers will take US money, but the other posters are correct, you may get change in pesos and I don't think they give a very good exchange rate on your purchases.

If you see a sign for "casa de cambio," that is also a money exchange place. Those give pretty good exchange rates.

There was an exchange in the indoor market in Progreso when we were there a couple of years ago.. If you enter on the side nearest the bus stop walk straight to the end of the hall and take a right. It was on the left about 20 feet from the corner.

Thank you for the information on the pesos in Progresso. I have never been here before so I just didn't know if this OP was just having a problem this day or not. They were talking about having to borrow pesos from others in their group at the DZ ruins because the person in the gift shop wouldn't take US money. I thought that was kinda weird because every where else I have been in Mexico took US cash in a heartbeat. Good to know there will be some way to exchange in town before heading to the ruins...just in case.:rolleyes:

That was the ruins we went to and used US dollars for this week.

Archived