Princess Cruiser Considering Celebrity - Thoughts?

TeacherSus

I think both cruise lines are quite good...and so much is personal taste...but I agree that it was lovely that the wait staff on Constellation worked the buffet area and they were quick to offer to carry trays, etc. (and I liked that there were trays on X...really missed them on Princess) We actually found the food on our Princess cruise better than we had on Constellation...it could have been just that cruise, but we weren't impressed with the dining room food on X and especially the desserts...they were pretty awful! But the Aqua Spa food was really good and it was nice having that light choice for lunch. We found entertainment on X better than on Princess both in the showroom and in the various lounges. We were actually bored some evenings on our Princess cruise. That all being said, we'd happily cruise either X or Princess again if the itinerary was right. We're on Princess next year again but I think I'd really like to try Oceania too.

We too are considering X for our next cruise. Thanks to all who posted such balanced comments! It seems that it is really a matter of personal preference - some things better on one line. I would like to experience the service on X as I too feel that Princess has slipped just a little in the last few years. We like mid size ships - not at all interested in the 3000 + mega ships - it is too much of a cattle call and not at all like cruising in the 80's.

That said, I would go for any deal that came along on either line.:)Enjoy your cruise.

We were just off the Mercury last week and not real impressed. I would go on Celebrity again but probably not on that ship. I thought that the crew and service was very good- right up there with Hal's even though I do love Princess I think that I would have to give those other 2 the slight edge when it comes to service. I know that it varies from ship to ship but this has been our experience overall.

We've sailed five times on Princess, twice on Celebrity, and once on Holland America. Those are the three cruise lines I look at when I'm looking to book a cruise. It all comes down to itinerary and price. This year, Princess had the best deal for us. We're going on the Emerald Princess's Christmas cruise.

I really had my heart set on a Holland America cruise, but the price of it was too much and then it turned out now to work as well with our vacation schedule.

Each of these cruise lines has its strengths and weaknesses. As many have mentioned, Celebrity is usually known for better service and slightly better food. On our last Celebrity cruise, though, there were times when we wanted to eat when food wasn't readily available. Hard to believe on a cruise ship.

On our last Celebrity cruise, though, there were times when we wanted to eat when food wasn't readily available. Hard to believe on a cruise ship.

Even room service? :eek:

HAL and Celebrity don't have 24 hours buffets like Princess, but the do have extended hours.. RCCL's night buffets are open only till 9PM.

This thread is fascinating to me as I have sailed Celebrity and am interested in trying Princess. I loved Celebrity. And I sailed on the Mercury, and loved the ship! It was smaller, and maybe didn't have the complete amenities that larger, newer ships have, but I really liked the size. The service and food were both top notch. We sailed with four other couples, and we all had an amazing time. From inside staterooms to Royal Suites, our group covered the spread, and we were all completely satisfied with our choices. The crew seemed genuinely happy in their jobs, and we all just had an excellent time. That cruise made cruisers out of us all! And I'm hoping to have a similar experience on Princess.

According To A Friend Who Recently Traveled On Celebrity, And Some Of The Postings On The Celebrity Board, There Is A Serious Change In The Food. My Friend Said It Was Inedible. A Poster On The Board Said Virtually The Same Thing. Seems That Michael Roux Is Gone, And Quality Of The Food As Gone With Him. I Would Read Some Posts On The Celebrity Board To Confirm What I Have Heard.

Geoherb I very much agree with you. We also had that problem when on Celebrity. We were assigned late dining which was way too late for me. We did not get through the first night until after 10. The other dining room choice had a very limited menu and also took 2 hours to get through. We ended up doing room service so we could eat off of the traditional dining menu at a reasonable hour.

Archived