shoes/jacket packing questions

Buddyboysie

Hi everyone - We're leaving on our 12-day med cruise in a few days - starting with a few days in Istanbul and ending with a few days in barcelona - I'm really trying to pack light (ha!) - For those of you with experience cruising in the fall, I have 2 questions:

Do you think 3 pairs of shoes are sufficient - 1 sturdy pair of oxford-style walking shoes, 1 pair of of sturdy/sporty black suede flats and one pair of low-heeled strappy black sandals to wear around the ship on sea days or in the more casual ports (i.e. Naples). Will it be too cool to wear sandals? The sandals would also serve as my "dress shoes." Or should I just take a pair of dressier pumps/flats and forget the sandals?

Looks like the weather is going to range from the low 50s to low 70s. I'm thinking of taking a thigh-length, black, fully lined, microfiber "sueded" raincoat with a detachible hood as my "walking-around-town-at-night" jacket. Will that be too heavy - should I just take a windbreaker-type jacket instead?

Thanks for any and all advice!

If your coat has a zip out lining then it might be wise at this time of the year to pack it. My question regarding your shoes...what shoe did you plan to wear for formal night and the smart casual nights on board?

It's also a good idea to pack an extra pair of walking shoes in case your feet get tired or sore and you need to change off.

Hi - Thanks for the response. The coat does have a zip out lining - although I wasn't planning to take the lining because then it's more like a winter coat! I'm wondering if even without the lining, the coat will be too long and too heavy, and if should just take a light windbreaker (I'm also planning to take sweaters and a blazer.)

I was planning to wear the sandals for formal dining (we're going on NCL, freestyle cruising, less formal than the other lines we've been on.) Sandals can go with my skirt outfit or black pants - and they are comfy enough to wear in port -- they are strappy, but not sporty. I'm just wondering if if they will be too summery for this time of year, and if I'd be better off taking a pair of versatile pumps or dress flats that I could wear to dine and perhaps wear on land. (although then I won't have anything to wear by the pool, unless I throw in a pair of flip flops!!) I'm really trying to only take 3 pairs of shoes.

Thanks for any suggestions

I would absolutely take the raincoat without the lining. Sandals may be a little summery so I would suggest the dressier flats or pumps would be even better. Flip flops take up no room and are the lightweight of the footwear world so by all means throw them in. Have a super cruise!

IMO, sandals are too summery for fall wear in port. You will be doing a lot of walking and some of the streets in Barcelona are quite uneven so IMO a flat shoe with some cushion and support would be better.

I am packing now for two weeks in the Med and I am bringing two pair of Cole Hahn/Nike Air shoes for daytime and a pair of mid heel Ecco boots for evenings.

For a cruise, I would pack a mid heel mules for evening as well as another pair for some variety.

Personslly, I would bring an unlined leather jacket for evenings out.

Your shoe choices sound perfect. I have a fairly bulky leather jacket - it's lined and takes up a great deal of space. I'm from fla., so my cool weather wardrobe is quite limited. I have a few pieces that I picked up for northern winter trips that will probably be too heavy for this cruise, or too light but perfect for breezy tropical nights. Same with shoes. Although thanks to everyone's advice, the sandals are out as a walking-around-town choice. Still on the fence about the raincoat. It's quite bulky as well.

Oh well, I guess now I will HAVE to buy that perfect leather jacket and pair of boots in Istanbul. Wouldn't want to be cold for the rest of the trip! :)

• 11 years later...

This is a good discussion. A lot of people don’t have an idea about the clothes that are to be kept for a trip or trekking. I kept two Leggings and jackets for my trip. It wasn’t sufficient though because I didn’t get any place to wash them and dry it. We have to consider the area before we start packing.

If you're planning to do a daytrip to Montserrat (as we are the first week of December), be advised, I read on a different board that it runs 10-degrees colder than BCN and usually with a biting wind!

We are planning to fly to Barcelona carryon only, with two pair of shoes each (one on feet and one in rollaboard). I have waterproof cross-trainers and looking at getting the equivalent for dr'spin, then a pair of SAS Roamers or Skechers slipons for me and boatshoes for him. Good enough for smart casual; those in the know on the RCI board say it is not necessary to dress up any more than that even on "Formal" nights, and for the OP, NCL specifically says "Dress Up Or Not". Of course some enjoy that and so then, go for it!

I think the idea of a leather coat from Istanbul is a fine one! Nice souvenir! For us I'm planning hip-length leather jackets and merino (wool) cardigans that fit under them for added insulation... and silk longjohn bottoms only for insulation on legs. We are in So.California and not used to cold either!

I wear my slip-on evening sandals year-round on cruises.    I think your choice of shoes are great, and perfect for the walking and weather you will experience.

I have a microfiber hip-length jacket that I wear in colder climates.  I find it keeps me very comfortable by changing the top I wear under it to suit the climate.  For instance, it is chillier and colder at the dock in the mornings when I get off, but can be quite pleasant later in the day and the jacket comes off.  This jacket is very lighweight, folds or rolls easily into my tote bag, and never, ever wrinkles.  If I think it's really going to be cold, then I add gloves and warm shoes and socks.  I find if my feet and hands are warm, this jacket works great.  Microfiber is great for weather between 45 - 65 degrees.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2007 at 6:33 PM, JolieMadam said:

If your coat has a zip out lining then it might be wise at this time of the year to pack it. My question regarding your shoes...what shoe did you plan to wear for formal night and the smart casual nights on board?

It's also a good idea to pack an extra pair of walking shoes in case your feet get tired or sore and you need to change off.

Remember you will be wearing one pair of shoes when you board, so that's one less to pack

If you have a wool sweater to wear under raincoat, you should be good for ports. Use one or the other. Practical merino wool cardigan can bridge  a wide range of temperatures and will last for years. Wear it without coat when temps are closer to 70, with coat for colder evenings.

All those cobblestones......I can't see the sandals working in port, but that is what the walking shoes are for, no?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

changing the topic somewhat; i've been reading some fantastic advice about packing to conserve space. my question is how do you deal with the wrinkles when you get there - my husband's suit and dress shirts and my fancy dress? I am taking downy wrinkle release and it does work but you have to use a LOT of product to get the wrinkles out? 

what is my alternative? does the cruise ship offer valet service to iron or steam badly wrinkled clothing.

better yet, how do you pack to save space and yet not incur those wrinkles?

13 minutes ago, cherylpalmer said:

changing the topic somewhat; i've been reading some fantastic advice about packing to conserve space. my question is how do you deal with the wrinkles when you get there - my husband's suit and dress shirts and my fancy dress? I am taking downy wrinkle release and it does work but you have to use a LOT of product to get the wrinkles out? 

what is my alternative? does the cruise ship offer valet service to iron or steam badly wrinkled clothing.

better yet, how do you pack to save space and yet not incur those wrinkles?

You cannot avoid all the wrinkles.  I don't use anything but water in a small spray bottle:  endless supply of water.  Misting all our clothes that are hung in the closet creates a humid atmosphere while they all hang and the water evaporates.  I spray each garment quickly, smooth out the wrinkled areas, then hang them. 

My husband's jacket just gets sprayed.  By the time he has to wear it all the wrinkles are gone.

This works just as well as hanging garments in a steamy bathroom, but using your hands to smooth sets up the damp fabric to release the wrinkles in the right places.

Edited by pcur
  • Thanks 1