All things Monarch of the Seas

I hate to scare you but we were in one of the ones on the very front of the ship, 7504.

As for quiet spots, go to the Viking Crown Lounge during the day.

So much for the "front of the ship" theory :rolleyes: . Guess I'll just have to see what happens.

I'll definitely be checking out the Viking Crown Lounge - it sounds perfect. Thanks for the info!

You're going to have a great cruise ;)

There is a formal night, it is Saturday (or Tuesday night on the 4 day cruise ~ basically always the 2nd night of your cruise). There are some people who dress up, and there are some people who still stick to Smart Casual. I do not think that the passengers dress up as much on the short cruises as they do on the large cruises!

The OV rooms are only noisy when people are chatty outside your window. But just so that you can be prepared, you will have a window, but won't be able to look down onto the water. You'll be able to see the sunlight and weather though.

In my experience, Danney likes the Hershey bars (no almonds). He also likes brownies, cookies and other homemade items. Make sure you tell him that he's to enjoy the chocolate, or being the generous soul that he is, he'll save it for all of his friends onboard. You gotta love Danney :)

As long as I have light, I'm good. Just have to be able to see out! If I want to see the ocean, I don't have to go far :)

I will absolutely tell Danney he should enjoy the sweets himself - and let him know that he has a huge fanclub on CC! I'm excited for this cruise, just so I can meet Danney and all the other wonderful crew that everyone has mentioned.

WOW! You guys are great! I appreciate all the pointers, feedback, and answers to my questions! The Monarch sounds like a wonderful ship and it looks like we will be booking her for June!:D I'm looking forward to trying traditional dining to see how it is......like I said, I can't really say I prefer one over the other until I have tried both.;) It sounds like the "grads" will have plenty to do....maybe 4 days won't be long enough!:p

Thanks again everyone!

We're really excited about our upcoming cruise on the 22nd - it's a 4-day trip. My DH and I are going with my daugher and her DH - it's their 1st cruise ever!

By the way...I really enjoyed reading your VERY lengthy and pictorially interesting reviews Jen....I even checked out your wedding pics and the ones of your house. I feel like I know you! :D

Awwww that's sooo sweet :)

If you checked out the "jens world and stuff" and "who is jen" links, then yeah, you do know me! :D

Angelique, I think you'd be able to find enough to do on a b2b2b cruise !!!!

I hope you can come back to this thread when you've returned home and let us know how your cruise was!

What I need is info. about what to do in each port on the 4 day sailing. We are typically caribbean vacationers and are accustomed to warm water diving and snorkeling. So, we are at odds as to what to do in each port, especially Ensenada. And, snorkeling at Catalina Island with the kelp beds kind of freaks me out - something about not being able to see everything around you due to the kelp. We are flying in a day early and arriving around 11am, staying in SanPedro. Can anyone help or give advice??

In Catalina, walking around the island, renting a golf cart, or relaxing at the harbor is the best way to go.

In San Diego, you can visit our local beaches, like mission beach (5 North exit seaworld drive, then west to the mission bay area~ 15 min each way from the ship). Ocean beach pier or point loma are good for browsing, not for the waves. You can also go to Sea World, or the San Diego Zoo, or Balboa Park, or see a baseball game at Petco park.

I wouldn't snorkel here, there just isn't that "caribbean port" typical activity.

In Ensenada, I'd go walking around downtown, or visit the bufadora, but I woulnd't expect much, as Ensenada isn't a lovely tropical destination either.

Jean knows of a great massage place in Ensenada,

Hope this helps :)

we jsut booked Monarch for a 4 night cruise in April...we were one her before so know how great she is, but are excited to get the 4 night cruise version of her...it will have been a little over a year since we were on her last...cant wait to get back...I've been to Catalina before and love it, and we missed some things in Ensenada last time so are glad to get back

Fellow Monarch Lovers, who are some of your favorite crew members (cabin attendants, waiters, bartenders)?

Mine are:

Dining room:

Sheldon Rodriguez, head waiter

Peter Drozo, head waiter

Abdullah from Turkey, head waiter

Miland Salwat, head waiter

Silbourne Reid, waiter

Rudresh (India), waiter

Andrew Rego, asst. waiter

Alexandre (India), waiter

Franco (India), waiter

Edgard (Peru), waiter

Ionut Tiene (Romania), waiter

Bartenders:

Alok Sharma, Boleros

Noel (India), Pool Bar

Boris (Romania), Schooner Bar

Cabin Attendant:

Estella, Nicaragua

Kesley (caribbean island)

George (St. Vincent)

Some of our favorite crew members:

Ivanco (Schooner bar)

Gabriela (Schooner Bar)

Raquel (Viking Lounge)

Noel ( bar waiter) in may he was working at Ben and & Jerrys

Jeremey ( pool bartender)

The monarch is one of our favorite ships!!

we jsut booked Monarch for a 4 night cruise in April...we were one her before so know how great she is, but are excited to get the 4 night cruise version of her...it will have been a little over a year since we were on her last...cant wait to get back...I've been to Catalina before and love it, and we missed some things in Ensenada last time so are glad to get back

If you can wait a week, come with us on the 21st instead of the 14th! We're going to try to recreate our Cruise Critic voyage of this past May.

Raquel was in the Schooner Bar Labor Day weekend. Gabriela, Ivanko and the incomparable Desmond Lalchan were all on vacation. I'm hoping they'll all be back in November when we sail her next!

Any messages for Danney? ..... um .... don't eat all the brownies in one sitting. He can't get more until Misty sails on October 15th! ha ha ha

And also let him know that I'll make sure to include some for Captain Karin, as I understand she likes the brownies too.

I am not sure we have any officers for the Danney Fan Club. I am the official brownie supplier, but other than that, I'm not aware of any officers ;)

I'm not sure if he has a craving for any of the filipino foods, I'm not sure if there is room after you factor in his chocolate craving! :D

Hey Jen - -- gotcha! about DAnney! I am so excited to tell him he is very popular amongst all of us - but then I guess he already knows that -- I can be Sgt at Arms for this Fan Club - we really need to get this going and this thread is great for it - keep all in one thread so we don't go back and forth!!

Went to another new Indian restaurant in our area of the EAst SF bay area - very good - I love their garlic naan and tikka chicken!

So, I am looking forward to our Oct 8 sailing and again on the 12th !!

Glad to know everyone who is wild about DAnney!! Carol

I love the Monarch, too! I have been on her twice in the last year, the 3 night and the 4 night a few months later. I was actually booked on her again until a couple of weeks ago. I am cruising with my Mom for her birthday. However, she really wanted to go to the Mexican Riviera on a 7 night, so we cancelled & rebooked on the Golden Princess. I love RCI, but I couldn't ignore the price I got on that one, lol!

Anyway, Jen is right - the Monarch can't be beat for service & the food is excellent. While the regular cabins are quite small we enjoyed our JS on the 4 night. My favorite spot during the daytime is the Viking Crown Lounge - it has the best view in the world! It is so relaxing that I would take a book & go sit up there with a Wildberry Smoothie...heaven!:D

I took a large number of interior shots around the Monarch on our April Cruise. If you would like to see them click on my signature and go to the Monarch of the Seas, April album.

I KNOW that I will be cruising on this beautiful ship again!:)

I am so excited to tell him he is very popular amongst all of us - but then I guess he already knows that

Oh, he knows! He is quite familiar with CC and knows many of the folks that frequent this board.

I took a large number of interior shots around the Monarch on our April Cruise. If you would like to see them click on my signature and go to the Monarch of the Seas, April album.

I took a walk down Memory Lane looking at your photos Ginny. I actually remembered certain smells and feelings. Thanks for posting them. I can't wait to be on the Monarch again in February! :D

I took a walk down Memory Lane looking at your photos Ginny. I actually remembered certain smells and feelings. Thanks for posting them. I can't wait to be on the Monarch again in February! :D

I'm glad you enjoyed them. I took so many interior shots just for the purpose of sharing them with my CC friends!:D

We scheduled a four day cruise on Feb. 4th. I've been reading a number of reviews and I don't see anyone talk about showroom evening entertainment which usually is put on after dinner.

also,

Has anyone taken a couple bottles of wine aboard and had it at the dinner table? If so, what is the corkage fee? I've been cruising with Celebrity and they allow two bottles to be brought aboard for room consumption but will charge a $25 corkage fee if taken to the dinning room.

John

Hey John - DH & I are also cruising on Monarch on the 4th.

In regard to your question about evening entertainment - yes, Monarch does have nightly entertainment twice per night, early and late seatings both get a chance to watch :D . It'll be nice to see a new production show (thx for the info lephysteria), the old one has been there for awhile :o .

Does anyone have the room service menu? Is it different in the suites?

You can order anything you want on RCI through room service, as long as it is being served in the dining room during the same time period. All we have ever ordered from room sevice has been breakfast. RCI is one of the few who have hot breakfast items available to non-suite guests. We love to fill out the hang tag available in the room each night, put it on our doorknob before we go to bed & be awakened by the room service call about 5-10 minutes before it arrives. Then we enjoy a leisurely breakfast on the balcony & as we get ready for the day's activities!:)

We're really excited about our upcoming cruise on the 22nd - it's a 4-day trip. My DH and I are going with my daugher and her DH - it's their 1st cruise ever!

By the way...I really enjoyed reading your VERY lengthy and pictorially interesting reviews Jen....I even checked out your wedding pics and the ones of your house. I feel like I know you! :D

Hi Sue:

Wish you were two weeks earlier in your plans as we are sailing on the 8th - this monday - for a B2B... I know your DD will have a good time - The MOnarch is a wonderful ship and she and her DH will be hooked!! Carol

We are always accepting new members into the fan club. All are welcome!

The second way to pay Danney's fan club dues is to spread the word about how cool he is, and try and recruit other members. :cool:

Consider me recruited :D I'll be sailing Dec 3 and will make sure i pay a special visit to danney :)

Consider me recruited :D I'll be sailing Dec 3 and will make sure i pay a special visit to danney :)

HI, Karyn! Make sure you say "Hi" to Danny for me! I fell in love with him on our April cruise - he was so nice to us.:D

Are we still on for a 'girl's cruise' next December?;)

Archived