Updates on Sovereign and Monarch (merged)

eroller

I don't think RCI has any current plans to replace MONARCH in the 3/4 day West coast market. I think they would have announced a replacement at the same time if they did. Maybe this market is not so lucrative?

Ernie

I think you should all get out of mourning and put your darn deposits down for her last CA sailing on 10-13-08? You know who you are!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone call Lorna quick.....and Rick.

LOL, Nancy!!!!

DH and I spent all day yesterday flying home from our Med Cruise on the Brilliance. So, like mohavemommy, I'm dealing w/ PCD, this and Jet Lag! :( Bill told me about this, last night, when he checked his email (he gets the PRs for our stock holding). I couldn't believe it was true, so he printed it out for me to read. Of course, I immediately came here to CC.

I'm in shock ... to say the least. I don't know what we'll all to without Danney and Trudy. I guess I'd better book that 10-13 cruise, now. You and Joe are coming, too ... right, Nancy?

It's a sad day ... a very sad day ... :( ~ Lorna

LOL, Nancy!!!!

DH and I spent all day yesterday flying home from our Med Cruise on the Brilliance. So, like mohavemommy, I'm dealing w/ PCD, this and Jet Lag! :( Bill told me about this, last night, when he checked his email (he gets the PRs for our stock holding). I couldn't believe it was true, so he printed it out for me to read. Of course, I immediately came here to CC.

I'm in shock ... to say the least. I don't know what we'll all to without Danney and Trudy. I guess I'd better book that 10-13 cruise, now. You and Joe are coming, too ... right, Nancy?

I was wondering if you were back yet!!!! Joe and I will be on the last sailing. We are in Miami tonight. Saw the Liberty sail away today from our room and we board the Pearl tomorrow for our conference. work, work, work......;)

How long did it take for Monarch to replace Viking Serenade?

I don't think there was that much of a gap....maybe 9 months or so? :) Of course we didn't really have as much internet then. It was brochure and TA stuff.

LOL, Nancy!!!!

Lorna, are you seriously going to book the Monarch Panama canal cruise? I think that I would do this if you guys are doing it!

C

LOL. Funny you should mention that. When I read that Monarch was moving to PC...for about half a second I thought, "Oh, that would be a fun cruise through the canal".

And then I realized that Monarch is fun for 3 & 4 day cruises, you have to get a Junior Suite for a balcony, which is about E/D-1 size, there is is no CL, no mini golf, no alternative dining...and we are doing the canal on Serenade next year anyway. :D Have fun if you decide to book it.

just because I havent looked much into it...how long is the gap between Mariner arriving in CA and Monarch leaving...is it possible that Vision will do the short cruises and Mariner will take over Visions route...if this is old news and I am just behind please just ignore me...

I just checked on the price of an OV for Oct 4, 2008 (3 night) and the price was $329, which is about $100 more than what I paid in Dec. I also had one booked for $226 pp for this January but had a change of plans and had to cancel. Now I would like to squeeze in one more before she leaves, but want to keep the price down, as we are planning a big Med cruise in 2009. Is the price so much more because the ship is leaving, or is that the usual October pricing? I was thinking I would wait and see if it drops, however I am afraid it won't as many other people may have the same idea!:confused:

LOL!

I'm contemplating booking the Oct 13 sailing but it would be right on the heels of coming home from my Nov 10 sailing on a two week Panama Canal cruise. I want to do it anyway but will wait a little longer before commiting

I'm told it took about two years for get another ship after the Viking Sernade and the reason we got the Monarch was after many, many letters of complaint, requesting a ship. This is per my TA. She suggests that we all start emailing and writing. Reread what RCI says in their notice. No mention is made of another ship. Robin :confused:

Was it really that long? We were on the second to last sailing of Song of America, and I know that Viking Serenade had been sold shortly before then. I think that was 1999, without checking the photo album. It didn't seem like that much later that Monarch started sailing. :) But if your TA says there was a 2 year gap, she probably has a better memory than I do anymore. :D

It's time to start writing and sending emails to RCI. I don't know the exact time between the Viking Serenade and Monarch but I'm thinking it was somewhere around two years. My TA said that it was because of letters to RCI that they gave us the Monarch. It's just speculation that we will get another ship, Vision class. In RCI's statement they said ""We thank our partners at the ports of Los Angeles, Ensenada, Catalina and San Diego for our outstanding and ongoing relationship. We look forward to providing our Monarch of the Seas guests with exceptional vacations as we visit those locations through next fall." It sounds like a funeral. But of course we always have Carnival who offers 3 and 4 days trips to Baja Mexico and now even another ship to Cabo. This whole thing makes so sense to me.

Hi, This is so sad. It makes no sense at all on so many levels, especially business. We know what a cash cow the Monarch is. I just don't understand throwing all that business to Carnival. Maybe it's not the right time to send the Sovereign. I'm sure Soverign people are equally upset about losing her also.:confused:

I just checked on the price of an OV for Oct 4, 2008 (3 night) and the price was $329, which is about $100 more than what I paid in Dec.

Of course the price is higher in March over December - March is a better time to cruise around Southern California and Northern Mexico when compared to December.

I love cruising as much as the next guy, but c'mon people, it's a ship. It's not like someone died.

I can totally understand being disappointed, but I'm sure RCI has given this some thought and has a plan.

Ah... but the Monarch is like a good friend to some of us. ;)

Archived