Add't $60/day/person now required before boarding

pzorr

The concierge could do nothing for them - neither could the front office. We were sitting in the Neptune Lounge when they came and she was in tears. They had tried to purchase something on one of the islands and were refused because of the HOLD. To make matters worse, they were staying at a hotel at the end of the cruise as the second part of their honeymoon. Guess what?? - the hotel had also put a big HOLD on their credit card. When we got to Cozumel, our next port, they were among the first off the ship and each was on a pay phone calling home. Have no idea which one of the parents took care of the situation.

KK, how long was this cruise anyway? I mean how much money (days) on HOLD are we talking about? I also did not consider that they may be spending some time at a hotel.

I do not post much as I usually have opposing opinions or different ideas about the facts presented' however:

I do not know where most live but must be different from where I was brought up Ca./Idaho. Here almost all I know believe the parents of the bride pays for the wedding (if possible) and the parents of the groom pays for the rehersal dinner and the honeymoon (at least part of it). Here it is called tradition not spoiling. I sold 23 horses to pay for our daughters wedding. Glad to do it and also planned for it since her birth.

I do not think this situation is limited to the young/honeymooners. I think many elder adults missed this fact also.

thanks Kevin

Maybe just inexperienced and naive. I can empathize. My attempted purchase of an engagement ring 40 yrs ago was refused because I had just bought some tires the day before and a monthly payment hadn't been posted yet........./quote]

Hey, tires or an engagement ring:confused: Gotta have tires to get around!;)

BTW, opened the package yesterday! All in one piece! Thanks a bunch! Yours will hit the mail tomorrow!

I know that had I not read these boards before going on my cruise I would not have known about the hold situation, and probably had the same thing happen to me when I tried to make a purchase in port.

Considering the grand total of my onboard bill for the 7 day cruise was under $100, I did find the $420 hold to be a bit excessive, but I also understand that the cruise lines need to protect themselves from people who run up huge bills and then have no way to pay.

I do not post much as I usually have opposing opinions or different ideas about the facts presented' however:

I do not know where most live but must be different from where I was brought up Ca./Idaho. Here almost all I know believe the parents of the bride pays for the wedding (if possible) and the parents of the groom pays for the rehersal dinner and the honeymoon (at least part of it). Here it is called tradition not spoiling. I sold 23 horses to pay for our daughters wedding. Glad to do it and also planned for it since her birth.

I do not think this situation is limited to the young/honeymooners. I think many elder adults missed this fact also.

thanks Kevin

Well, this time there is only one or two opposing opinions as to this couple being spoiled, so I'm glad you posted. Totally agree with your entire post.

Never be afraid to post a different idea or opinion. This board can use it. :)

No one has a right to come to such conclusions about someone they don't know anything about.

If parents are able and they have the desire to treat their daughter/son to their wedding/honeymoon, etc., that is none of our business. As KK pointed out, this couple had huge "holds" on their CC by both the hotel and the cruise line and didn't realize that would happen. Naive? Perhaps .... definitely inexperienced. But they're young, probably just starting out. We all were once. Cut them some slack. People starting out often have a relatively small credit limit and it could quickly be reached with these holds

Easy for us to look back and believe we were brighter, smarter, more informed, better equipped to handle situations like this. But memories can deceive us ... maybe we weren't;) .

Ok, you are right, but I was responding to S7S's "Hope they 'got their act' together" comment because I was thinking the same thing. All I could think of is two people who between the two of them did not have about $1,000 to their name (in credit when starting a life together). I wasn't thinking about other hotel holds.

Besides, I am speculating on some anon unknown couple which I think is OK on a public message board. It would def be rude if it was someone on this board vs an anon situation.;)

The concierge could do nothing for them - neither could the front office. We were sitting in the Neptune Lounge when they came and she was in tears. They had tried to purchase something on one of the islands and were refused because of the HOLD. To make matters worse, they were staying at a hotel at the end of the cruise as the second part of their honeymoon. Guess what?? - the hotel had also put a big HOLD on their credit card. When we got to Cozumel, our next port, they were among the first off the ship and each was on a pay phone calling home. Have no idea which one of the parents took care of the situation.

When I hear stories like this I grieve for such couples, for their embarrassment and for the difficulties that are generated by such events. I've seen this kind of thing happen, too. Indeed, a few years ago I performed a wedding for a couple of church members who were taking a cruise for their honeymoon. The cruise was a gift from the groom's parents ... in my opinion, a wonderful gift. However, in a conversation with the couple about a week before the wedding it became clear that they had NO idea what to expect with regard to onboard expenses or how such was to be funded. They were both cruising for the first time, and had just assumed that the gift included all onboard expenses. ALL onboard expenses. Neither the bride, nor the groom, had sufficient liquidity to be able to afford an onboard pre-authorization, so I talked to the parents about it, outlined the situation, and we managed to head-off the problem before it occurred. I'm not sure what they did -- but the kids had more than enough money to do whatever they wanted aboard ship (and, I understand, had money left over afterwards).

Wow, so for a 10 night cruise in a quad, we're talking $2,400.00. Yipes.

Or, for 23 days for two it's $2760!

Luckily, one CAN ask the front desk to process the onboard pre-authorizations, and settle one's account, on a weekly basis.

The front desk is always willing to work with you to help you pay your bill. If you need to break it up between different credit cards, or pay part of it in cash and part in pre-authorization, or all in cash via a pre-deposit ... they just want their -- ah, er, YOUR -- money.

Ok, you are right, but I was responding to S7S's "Hope they 'got their act' together" comment because I was thinking the same thing.

Explain the 'got their act' together, please. I have no idea what those who posted that expected. It sounds like there is an assumption they had done something purposely wrong and that there was something they could do about it right there and then. :confused:

I know many couples with the means to have saved some money, usually a little older than just out of school and working, often pay for their own weddings, but it certainly has been accepted tradition that the parents pay for the wedding and often the honeymoon, so I don't see where this would make this couple "spoiled". It certainly is most usually still done that way where we are.

Did Krazy Kruisers ever say this couple had NO credit? I don't think so. Just that the credit card holds on the cruise and on the hotel had made them reach their limit. Be careful, many posters here worry about the same thing happening to them.

That is true and I read that after I posted (I meant not enough credit to cover a 7 night cruise.) Maybe not spoiled but they were definately naive. That must have been really embarrassing for them too.

Btw, most people I know have paid for their own weddings, including my stepdaughter (although we ended up paying for the food - the amount was under $1K so I forgot about it).

Considering the grand total of my onboard bill for the 7 day cruise was under $100, I did find the $420 hold to be a bit excessive, but I also understand that the cruise lines need to protect themselves from people who run up huge bills and then have no way to pay.

I'm afraid you're in the minority here - most folks do spend more than the single $5 cocktail a night and the $10/day autotip while they're aboard ship for a week.

Explain the 'got their act' together, please. I have no idea what those who posted that expected. It sounds like there is an assumption they had done something purposely wrong and that there was something they could do about it right there and then. :confused:

It was not my comment, so you need to ask the person who originally posted it.

When I read it the first time I imagined a naive couple who did not appear to be in a financial situation to get married. I imagined two people who together did not have $1,000 worth of credit (That's $500 each), so I'm wondering how they can even secure an apartment in which to live. They would prob need their parents to co-sign for a rental. As far as the honeymoon, it did not occur to me that credit was also tied up with a hotel. As far as the cruise I certainly don't think anything was done purposely wrong.

It was not my comment, so you need to ask the person who originally posted it.

Originally Posted by Jade13

Ok, you are right, but I was responding to S7S's "Hope they 'got their act' together" comment because I was thinking the same thing.

I thought you'd be able to explain it since you said you were thinking the same thing.

I really appreciate the 'heads up' on this topic. My 24 day cruise is a year and two weeks away, but with pre-cruise travel arrangements/hotels, that $1440+ hold could become significant. I will make sure to spread those reservations over two credit cards, just to provide myself some more "cushion". All the more reason to be sure the credit cards are paid in full before I start that trip.

I know that had I not read these boards before going on my cruise I would not have known about the hold situation, and probably had the same thing happen to me when I tried to make a purchase in port.

That is unusual. Most people on a 7 day would have at least $140.00 in gratuities ($10 per day per person). You did not even have one cola?

thanks Kevin

Kevin, you are absolutely correct and it has nothing to do with what part of the country you live. Emily Post's Book of Etiquette (and I'm sure in subsequent books by her daughter-in-law, Peggy) clearly states that it is customary for the parent's of the bride to pay for the wedding.

That's not to say it's "wrong" for the couple to pay, but it is definitely "traditional" that the bride's parent's pay. Newer and quite common today is for the groom's parents will often pay for the music (DJ or band) at the wedding and, as you point our, the Rehersal Dinner which has come to be quite an event. This all came about as weddings became more expensive.

Never ever be concerned about posting a varying opinion ... always remember someone is bound to agree with you:) . In this case, just about everyone;) .

Besides, I am speculating on some anon unknown couple which I think is OK on a public message board. It would def be rude if it was someone on this board vs an anon situation.;)

True, Jade. However, you don't know that the couple doesn't read these boards and you don't know how many couples who do read this board may have found themselves in these circumstances. It had to be painfully embarrassing for them and no one needs to read here that they are spoiled in any way. That simply is not known given the fact that it is commonplace for parents to pay for the wedding and/or the honeymoon. I know parents to have purchased homes for their kids, or at least supplied the downpayment. Why not? I think that's terrific.

As far as HAL's policy on this, I think they are completely within their rights because otherwise they could get "stuck" with a lot of charges and it would be costly to try to collect after the fact. I do think, however, it should be made a little clearer so there's no question in anyone's mind before leaving home that this is going to happen.

Considering the grand total of my onboard bill for the 7 day cruise was under $100,
That is unusual. Most people on a 7 day would have at least $140.00 in gratuities ($10 per day per person). You did not even have one cola?
Our final bill for 7 days on the Statendam was $104 ... and it would have been $1 if I had not drawn $100 cash (+3%) at the front desk!! :) But to be honest about it, we had $250 in OBCs, and were given a 20 glass wine card and a 10 drink coffee card. Our only HAL excursion was pre-paid months before. Our biggest single expense (beyond the $10/p/d) was $58.95 for the internet. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

If they were in a Suite (which clearly they were if at the Concierge's desk), one would think they could have found a remedy. If not, they seem to have poor judgement to begin with .....booking a suite when their funds were so limited. [/b]

Have to admit I have no memory of reading about a crying honeymoon couple from three years ago. Must have missed that story. Hope they 'got their act' together and found a way to enjoy their honeymoon. ;)

Quote: Jade13:

They sound like the spoiled type where mommy and daddy paid for their honeymoon, probably paid for the wedding too. I guess that was probably the way it used to be done. We pay for all of our stuff ourselves, certainly makes one responsible to do their research, know the costs and have credit. I can't believe people get married that can't even afford credit or have a credit card (or travel w

WOW. As a new poster I sure am rethinking posting here. Pretty judgmental people here on this board posting these kind of comments and others after this based on absolutely no facts.

WOW. As a new poster I sure am rethinking posting here. Pretty judgmental people here on this board posting these kind of comments and others after this based on absolutely no facts.

Hey Tommy, welcome aboard! Any chance we can get that 'Paparazzi' show shipped from HAL to, lets say, Cunard?

Hey Tommy, welcome aboard! Any chance we can get that 'Paparazzi' show shipped from HAL to, lets say, Cunard?

Now now, Copper, be nice ... I'm going to be cruising Cunard, too, and don't like the thought of that train-wreck on the QM2 or QV.

Archived