Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Polar Bear

Help please need info on tours for....

Need help on private tours to the ruins in Cozumel..we are sailing there in Dec. 2008.:confused:

45 views...please need help/advice?

I won't be much help, but you've got plenty of time to get other responses.

Just back from Cozumel where we rented a car and toured the island including the ruins at San Garvasio (sp?). We did not employ the services of an elderly Mexican gentleman who offered to guide us for $17 for our group of 4 (how did he arrive at that price?), but it would have been better than what we learned on our own. The site had placards labeling each building in three languages- Sp, Eng, and russian, perhaps. However, practically everything had the same explanations. Columns, altar, stone benches in various configurations. The brochure that came with the admission fee was even less informative. The area was very buggy - I got multiple mosquito bites.

Luckily, we ran into a young Spaniard who had taken a tour of other ruins in Central American and he gave us a bit more info that helped the ruins come to life a bit for us.

All in all, I think a guided tour would have been worth it, if the guide is competent. Don't know if the ship tour gives you that or not.

Just back from Cozumel where we rented a car and toured the island including the ruins at San Garvasio (sp?). We did not employ the services of an elderly Mexican gentleman who offered to guide us for $17 for our group of 4 (how did he arrive at that price?), but it would have been better than what we learned on our own. The site had placards labeling each building in three languages- Sp, Eng, and russian, perhaps. However, practically everything had the same explanations. Columns, altar, stone benches in various configurations. The brochure that came with the admission fee was even less informative. The area was very buggy - I got multiple mosquito bites.

Luckily, we ran into a young Spaniard who had taken a tour of other ruins in Central American and he gave us a bit more info that helped the ruins come to life a bit for us.

All in all, I think a guided tour would have been worth it, if the guide is competent. Don't know if the ship tour gives you that or not.

Tahks for your post......so far the ship has not posted any ruin tours for Cozumel, but have for Belize...so hopefully they will have one...if not we are going to the beach or the excart(sp) tour in Cozumel.

I have been to Cozumel several times. I do not know what your interests are, and Coz offers many options. We enjoy the water and snorkeling. We simply take a cab to Chankanaab. Great place to swim, snorkel, watch dolphins, sealions show, and a nice botanical garden. They have a dive shop, and place to get drinks and food. I do not know what the impact of the most recent hurricanes have had on the island though.

There also is a very nice mini-golf place in the middle of downtown run by a lady named Sally that is lots of fun.

We enjoy eating and drinking at Ponchos Backyard.

I have been to Cozumel several times. I do not know what your interests are, and Coz offers many options. We enjoy the water and snorkeling. We simply take a cab to Chankanaab. Great place to swim, snorkel, watch dolphins, sealions show, and a nice botanical garden. They have a dive shop, and place to get drinks and food. I do not know what the impact of the most recent hurricanes have had on the island though.

There also is a very nice mini-golf place in the middle of downtown run by a lady named Sally that is lots of fun.

We enjoy eating and drinking at Ponchos Backyard.

How much was the cab to Chankanaab? We are looking at going there or Excate(sp). But no mini golf..we like the water...someplace to see ruins, them go swimming.

If you are thinking of going to Tuluum, your best bet is to spend the extra money and take a ship excursion.

Getting to the ruins requires a ferry to mainland Mexico and then a long bus ride. Opportunity for missing the ship is too great and not worth the risk. IMHO

We took the cruise tour to Tulum. It was an all day affair and I recommend booking through the cruise also. Too many chances to miss the ship. We did not get back on the ship until 5:10 for a 5:30 departure and that was with no problems or delays! (the ferries do not run continuously).

I will give my standard warning...the ferry is VERY rocky. I was quite sick and have had no problems with motionsickness since I was a child. I would still recommend the tour, just bring a remedy and be sure to take it!

Good luck with your planning!

We are cruising on the Carnival Legend...have not seem a tour for Tulum yet......would love to go..put it will only be on a ship tour, not a private one to riskly as "chrelaine" stated...do not want to miss the ship.:eek: But Carnival has not posted a tour to Tulum yet...but it is 13 months away...there is still time :~)

Just back from Cozumel where we rented a car and toured the island including the ruins at San Garvasio (sp?).

We are planning to the same when we are there in Dec. Could you please tell me what car rental company you rented from?

If the ship isn't offering Tuluum excursion more than likely you will not have time to do it independently either. It is an all day affair, since it is on the mainland. I read somewhere that Cozumel doesn't have any authentic Mayan ruins, only replicas. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

I've been to Chankanaab Park. The cost of the cab fare should be around $10 one way. The cost to get in the park is $16 pp, but you can print a coupon on the cozumelparks.org website for a $2.00 pp discount. Chankanaab is a peaceful, relaxing place, where you can snorkel from shore. If you are interested, you could swim with the dolphins, since Dolphin Discovery is located in Chank. Park. You can also walk through the gardens and see replicas of mayan ruins and a mayan hut.

Good Luck and have a wonderful Cruise!