RCCL Frances Update 1 Sept

Latest update on RCCl website.

cor_pressrelease_hdr.gif

s.gif

s.gif

Hurricane Frances Update

Miami - September 1, 2004 - 2:30 p.m. - Royal Caribbean International is closely monitoring the path and progress of Hurricane Frances to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety and comfort of our guests are always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

We will update our Hurricane Frances information three times daily as the storm approaches - at 9:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Given Hurricane Frances' current and projected path, we are currently altering the itineraries of six Royal Caribbean International ships:

• Grandeur of the Seas will reverse it itinerary for its August 29 sailing. Tuesday it will call in Nassau, Bahamas, Wednesday it will call at Freeport, Bahamas, and Thursday it will call at Port Canaveral, Florida.
  • Navigator of the Seas will not make its normal port calls at St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Tuesday, San Juan, Puerto Rico, on Wednesday, and Labadee, Hispaniola, on Thursday. Instead, the ship will make a port calls at St. John, Antigua, on Tuesday, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, on Wednesday, and remain at sea on Thursday.
  • Adventure of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Philipsburg, St. Maarten, on Tuesday. Instead, the ship will spend Tuesday at sea and make a port call at Philipsburg, St Maarten, on Saturday.
  • Majesty of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Coco Cay, Bahamas, on Wednesday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Freeport, Bahamas, on Wednesday.

Majesty of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Key West, Florida, on Thursday. Instead, the ship will end its current cruise one day earlier than normal, returning to the Port of Miami on Thursday morning at approximately 7 a.m.
  • Sovereign of the Seas will end its current cruise one day earlier than normal, returning to Port Canaveral on Thursday at approximately noon.
  • Voyager of the Seas will not make its normal port call at Freeport, Bahamas, on Friday. Instead, the ship will make a port call at Montego Bay, Jamaica, on Thursday, and spend the day at sea on Friday.

At this time, all other Royal Caribbean International ships are sailing their normal itineraries. We will continue to closely monitor the storm and update this information at 6:30 p.m. today.

hmmm,

if the current Sovereign of the Seas trip is being recalled a day early, shouldn't RCL already know their game plan, itinerary change, or cancellation of the next Sovereign of the Seas departure this friday?

i don't quite understand why RCL is so indirect with their updates.

:(

it would be nice to know what is going to happen more than 24 hours before the scheduled departure.

SKM

They may give it's itenerary at the 6:30 update. Withe Gov. Bush being on the air a short while ago urging people to delay their trip to Florida this weekend and the track of Frances looking like Port Canaveral will definitely get a very strong hit from Frances, they may let off the passengers and depart back out empty as soon as possible. This will allow them to secure their facility and allow their people to evacuate the area Thursday evening.:(

yeah, i imagine a cancellation is in order (i don't imagine they can organize leaving from another port in time), but until i hear that it's canceled i guess i have to plan on going.

:( oh well

thanks for your input!!

SKM

I was wondering the same thing when I read that. I would guess that Friday's sailing will be cancelled. The ship won't be in port until noon, so there wouldn't be enough time to restock and board new passengers before a mandatory evacuation order that is expected by Thursday afternoon (the only way to access Port Canaveral is over a causeway). By the way, all Brevard County schools are closed Thursday & Friday, as is the Kennedy Space Center.

On the local news, a few minutes ago--- WESH. Brevard county will be Mandatory evacuated at 2PM tomorrow. Pt Canaveral is in Brevard County. The Cape has already shut down. At some point tomorrow the roads will all be one way out of the county. WHEN will RCCI tell us what to do about a Sunday Pt Canaveral departure.. This is so nerve racking.....:confused:

Somehow if I booked a cruise at the height of Huricane Season, I think I would have included some kind of trip insurance.:rolleyes:

But there seem to be some of us out there who just never thought of such a remote possibility and so, naturally, scream: COMPENSATION!

5.gif

Here is another problem, the Voyager normally would already be headed north (as of 4 pm Wednesday) back to New Jersey (with an 8 hr stop in Grand Bahamas, which is on its route north). They have re-routed her in the opposite direction to Jamaica for Thursday. How do they expect to get Voyager back to Bayonne for the Sunday cruise to Canada???

Guys,

They will NOT let the ships be at port when the hurricane strikes. They will attempt to put as many people as they can on board, but no way shape will they allow any ship to be at port when the hurricane strikes.

Vic

Boaters Landing

sorry, i didn't mean to beat a dead horse.

i was just curious. this doesn't affect me and i've actually never sailed during hurricane season in a hurricane zone. i was just reading these updates and wondering what happens to these passengers.

personally, i wouldn't book a cruise right at the height of hurricane season. or if i did, i would know that i was taking my chances.

just my $0.02

The Coast Guard will close the ports soon and the ships have to go. Large cruise ships would act as huge battering rams when blown by hurricane force winds. The ships are much safer at sea even if it's only the crew on board(they would probably like that:D ).

Hi JstDucky Nice to see you again.

Living in Cape Coral the Western End of the ICW, we have been watching large sportfish and yachts racing down the caloosahatchee river and going into the Gulf. I hope they are right in doing this.

They are telling people here to leave their houses if they were damaged and find some other place to stay. They are talking about leaving tomorrow and not wait until Friday to run away.

Oh well, California Here I Come.....

Vic

Here is another problem, the Voyager normally would already be headed north (as of 4 pm Wednesday) back to New Jersey (with an 8 hr stop in Grand Bahamas, which is on its route north). They have re-routed her in the opposite direction to Jamaica for Thursday. How do they expect to get Voyager back to Bayonne for the Sunday cruise to Canada???

The ship is in Jamaica on Thursday until 5ish? Then at sea all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. At noon Sunday they will have 67 hours of travel time between them and Jamaica. Even at only 20 knots, they have gone 1,340 miles. What is the distance between Jamaica and NJ?

WHEN will RCCI tell us what to do about a Sunday Pt Canaveral departure.. This is so nerve racking.....:confused:

Moofus, it is nerve wracking.

You are more fortunate than most of the other passenger's on Sunday, being only a few miles from the port.

My guess, is, if the hurricane continues on its' present course and it comes ashore as predicted - the Mariner of the Seas will not sail from Port Canaveral on Sunday, No way, No how. That also goes for any other cruise leaving either Saturday or Sunday.

However, if something changes, then it may.

For those upset because RCI can't give any definitive answers. The National Weather Service cannot give any definite answers and I am sure the cruise lines are listening to them for advice.

My best advice for people sailing out of Florida, or any SE port this weekend to keep a close eye on the situation here in Florida. If this thing has not made any significant change by Friday morning, you have a couple of choices.

1) Contact the cruise line, find out where they are going to port and when, then try and get a flight to the new port - but make sure you return tickets are from the original port airport.

2) Cancel the cruise. I know that this is a horrible thought and all your plans are for naught.

I feel sorry for those of you who's plans are going to be interrupted. Mine (and a lot of others) are also. We live in the projected path of this thing.

Whatever you do, DO NOT (REPEAT) DO NOT come down here HOPING to make the connection. You are going to be extremely disappointed, and quite frankly, we have enough people to worry about already.

One other thing. The airports DO SHUT DOWN during a storm. This one is predicted to affect any given area up to 24 hours.

vic - i forgot, when is your cruise out of bangkok? are you leaving this hurricane weather behind for some steamy weather in thailand?

Don't I wish. We are booked on the Royal Princess Nov 17th for our 30 days out of Bangkok. We leave here on May 11th and get back Christmas Eve.

The reason why we are on this thread is that we just booked on the Jewel of the Seas for her TransAtlantic cruise on May 1. Also a lot more action here then on the Royal where it is almost impossible to get anyone to post.

Best Regards,

Vic

PS They are announcing here that there will be updates hourly for the next 2 days.

Don't I wish. We are booked on the Royal Princess Nov 17th for our 30 days out of Bangkok. We leave here on May 11th and get back Christmas Eve.

The reason why we are on this thread is that we just booked on the Jewel of the Seas for her TransAtlantic cruise on May 1. Also a lot more action here then on the Royal where it is almost impossible to get anyone to post.

Best Regards,

Vic

vic - that 30 day cruise sounds so interesting! i am sure you'll have a great time. to go from asia to south africa sounds like a blast!

i am also on jewel of the seas can/NE cruise next Sat 9/11... i hope that frances is gone by then up north and that there are not other storms to follow that make their way that far north!

CMWADJ1 - Actually 67 hours at 20 knots is 1340 Knots ,not miles (actually that works out to 1541 miles). Normally the Voyager goes around the west side of Cuba on its way north, which would put it right in the middle of the hurricane. I believe they will route her around the east side of Cuba (near Haiti) to get behind the storm then back to NJ. In addition to being quite a bit shorter, they'll avoid the hurricane and probably get back to Bayonne pretty much on schedule. My apologies to the RCCL route planners (and probably the Captain onboard, I'll apologize to him on the Canada trip next week). The Voyager can max out at about 22 knots (25 mph).

I was riding home this afternoon and realized that the thousands and thousands of tree limbs and cut trees is still laying on the side of the roads waiting to be picked up. I am not talking about small limbs but large trees which have been cut up and I am talking about miles and miles and miles of these limbs just sitting on the side of the road.

If Francis comes this way it is going to pick up these limbs and hurl them at 100mph through windows (even those boarded up) and through homes.

Best Regards,

Vic

Vic,

I know they're trying to mulch the debris as fast as possible up there, but you and I both know they won't get it all by the time the storm approaches. Best of luck to you all up there, be safe! We're boarding up here, just in case.

The 11PM advisory is now out and the terrifying part is a moving more westward. The NHC states, "THE INITIAL MOTION IS 295/12. HOWEVER, THERE HAS BEEN CONSIDERBALE WOBBLE IN THE TRACK THE PAST 12 HOURS DUE TO THE EYEWALL REPLACEMENT CYCLES THAT HAVE BEEN OCCURRING. FRANCES HAS BEEN MOVING WEST-NORTHWESTWARD FOR THE PAST 24 HOURS UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE TO THE NORTH, WHICH IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN INTACT THROUGH AT LEAST 48 HOURS. THE GULFSTREAM-IV JET AND AN AFRES C-130 HAVE BEEN RELEASING DROPSONDES AROUND THE PERIPHERY OF FRANCES. THE SONDE DATA HAS PRODUCED SOME INTERESTING AND DISTURBING RESULTS. THE HEIGHT DATA FOR THE VARIOUS PRESSURE LEVELS COMPARED TO 18Z SURROUNDING UPPER-AIR DATA APPEAR TO BE AT LEAST 20 METERS TOO LOW. HOWEVER, THE WIND DATA CLEARLY INDICATE A MID-TROPOSPHERIC HIGH PRESSURE CENTER NEAR 30N 75W OR ABOUT 500 NMI NORTHWEST OF FRANCES WITH A RIDGE AXIS EXTENDING WEST-SOUTHWESTWARD ACROSS NORTH FLORIDA AND INTO THE NORTHEAST GULF OF MEXICO. IN THE SHORT TERM THIS WOULD SUGGEST THAT FRANCES SHOULD CONTINUE MOVING AT 295 OR EVEN 290 DEGREES MOTION FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS OR SO. ALSO 00Z UPPER AIR DATA INDICATE THAT THE 18Z NOGAPS AND 12Z UKMET MODELS HAVE VERIFIED THE 00Z 500 MB RIDGE AND HEIGHTS THE BEST, WHILE THE

18Z GFS AND GFDL MODELS WERE MUCH TOO WEAK AT LEAST 20 METERS TOO LOW, WITH THE STRENGTH OF THE RIDGE. SINCE THE 00Z MODEL RUNS WILL HAVE THE NEW GPS DROPSONDE DATA INCLUDED IN THOSE RUNS FOR THE 06Z ADVISORY. NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IS BEING MADE TO THE PREVIOUS FORECAST TRACK. HOWEVER, WITH HIGH PRESSURE LOCATED TO THE NORTHWEST OF FRANCES, I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO THE 00Z MODEL TRACKS SHIFT A LITTLE MORE WESTWARD. FRANCES IS EXPECTED TO MOVE OVER WARMER WATER NEAR AND WITHIN THE BAHAMA ISLANDS CHAIN IN 24-48 HOURS. GIVEN THE ALREADY IMPRESSIVE OUTFLOW PATTERN, SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING SEEMS PLAUSIBLE. ALSO, THE VERY DRY MID-LEVEL AIR, 30-40 PERCENT HUMIDITY THAT FRANCES HAS BEEN TRAVERSING THROUGH AND INGESTING OVER THE PAST 5 DAYS IS FORECAST TO INCREASE TO MORE THAN 60 PERCENT IN 36-60HR WHICH MAY ALSO HELP WITH THE INTENSIFICATION PROCESS."

Also there are comments in another paragraph of the plane finding winds that were 177mph.

If Francis shifts more to the west then Miami and maybe even Key West would be possible and of course those of us on the west coast would be in more danger.

Best Regards,

Vic

Archived